Author Topic: Drones At Bonneville  (Read 44047 times)

Offline DRW

Drones At Bonneville
« on: March 26, 2016, 02:53:26 AM »
I saw a Drone go up from a boat a Lake Havasu and take video of two Radio Control Boats, First thing I thought as I watched it, As Im taking off to make a run on my bike, My pitman could go straight up from the start area and video, It would look great , Without any or much of a chance of coming down in the wrong area , And after my run, Just come straight back down ....No following down the track, Just straight up and back down .
Good idea?
Or does it open the door to Drones flying all around like nats, In the pits, At the riders meetings, Down the return road ?
Thoughts ?
DW
Doesnt Mean That Much To me, To Mean That Much To You !

Offline tauruck

Re: Drones At Bonneville
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 04:57:48 AM »
As long as they fly a tight formation!. :-D

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 10:06:30 AM »
DW:

I thought about a drone too.

What if there is a designated photographer that did drone shots according to SCTA-BNI rules? Then for a fee send his/her clients the footage. That would get us the shots we want and make for a controlled environment like the authorized still shot photographers. Ray the Rat took photos  of my car for a  very reasonable fee and got shots I or my crew never would have gotten... plus they were center frame, in focus and an interesting angle that only a master photographer can do.

Just a thought... some enterprising photographer may be able to make a buck.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline BHR301

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 10:13:27 AM »
I have flown RC model airplanes for over 50 years and there is a reason why they are not allowed to fly over people or populated areas..it's called safety. You have no idea how quickly that drone could be in an area you don't want it in if you lose control of it. I for one do not them anywhere around me at a racing event

Bill
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 04:39:27 PM by BHR301 »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 10:25:11 AM »
Did anyone else see the footage of the downhill skier that was just missed by the drone crash... 
All we is a rule to make cars and bikes safer when impacting drones...  :dhorse:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 10:44:03 AM »
nothing on or above would be my vote ---at speed would be the equivalent of getting hit by an artillery round.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 11:14:23 AM »
At BMST a few years ago they had drones at the starting line taking great videos. They did not bother anyone and were not a hazard at all. The benefit of getting great videos and photos far outweighs any potential hazard of falling on someone. But they should not be allowed over the course in front of a moving race vehicle.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline salt27

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 11:58:32 AM »
There was a drone at the Speedweek drivers meeting when most that attended made the cover of Hot Rod.

I assume the photo was taken from the drone.    2011?

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 12:32:06 PM »
  Don, that's a pretty ludicrous statement You made.  The fact that a drone didn't fall and hit anyone or thing doesn't mean sh*t.  The potential is there and who is going to be able to police the use and whether or not a drone is "out of bounds."
  The benefits of a great videos and photo's WILL NEVER OUTWEIGH THE POTENTIAL HAZARD OF FALLING ON SOMEONE OR ANYTHING!
                                                                                                        Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Offline RichFox

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 04:40:39 PM »
yes. The benefit of the "Great Video" may well be lost on the person the drone falls on.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 05:28:55 PM »
and by the drone after the person it fell on fell on it  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline DRW

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 06:12:02 PM »
Thats pretty much what I thought every one would say.
My true feeling goes with the votes of, If, Just If it happened, It would have to be like getting hit in the helmet with a rock at
100, 200 300 even 400 mph.... Maybe someday down the road when its a more tried and true normal thing.
But until that, Safety out weighs a good photo any day !
How bout sending Scooter Grubb up in a helicopter ?   
DW

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 06:15:09 PM »
I have flown RC model airplanes for over 50 years and there is a reason why they are not allowed to fly over people or populated areas..it's called safety. You have no idea how quickly that drone could be in an area you don't want it in if you lose control of it. I for one do not them anywhere around me at a racing event

Bill

Listen to the voice of experience. I too have flown RC planes and helicopters for longer than I care to admit. While the technology has definitely improved over the last few years it's far from perfect and flying around a group of people is not a great idea.

Pete

Offline DRW

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 06:29:28 PM »
I Agree

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 06:48:09 PM »
Already been done. At Speedweek 2012 the BBC had a film crew there to shoot a feature on Bonneville and they were using a drone camera.

These guys were of course highly experienced, (not sure if they got any special approval) and they were covered by a corporate insurance policy.
That said you have a couple issues, recent changes in drone rules and regs (ie registration of large drones), the fact that we also often have secondary air traffic over the salt, including low flying helicopters. That would require a maximum altitude limit, and some sort of air boss or coordination between any helo ops and any drone operations.

One way to do it relatively safely would be to require any drones to be tethered to a maximum altitude of 20 - 50' and perhaps located in a photographer credentialed area not over the general access areas. Since we are close to the approach patterns for Wendover field that also probably places FAA limitations on such use.

As a photographer I don't necessarily support an all out ban. We already have significant limitations which make it difficult to properly
document the event as it is, but there are certainly hazards to be considered with drones and they are not likely to go away any time soon.
Smart regulations would be needed to keep things safe.
It would also be yet another over head for supervision on an already over worked volunteer group. Just who would be the go to person to manage this issue?

Perhaps set up a 50'x50' box near the starting line with a tether anchor and make that the only authorized area to use an  RC controlled drone camera near the starting line?
You definitely do not want a rogue drone to go zipping out over the course at 3 ft altitude as it tries to return home after losing contact with the controller.

Approach with caution but I think could be done safely with proper controls.
I would definitely not want random drones zipping around the pits and spectator areas controlled by who knows who.

I have seen RC aircraft out there (not to mention ultra lights) so there is already that existing risk environment and the SCCA / USFRA would need to consider how they want to handle such a request before hand.