Author Topic: CB Radio  (Read 20184 times)

Offline andychaos

• New folks
CB Radio
« on: March 15, 2016, 05:56:26 AM »
As a first timer to BMST  do we need a CB in the support vehicle?
If so where do we buy one when we arrive as the CBs over here in the UK are FM and not compatible apparently.

Offline salt27

Re: CB Radio
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 07:58:00 AM »
The Pilot truck stop in Wendover has CBs.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 12:06:54 PM »
I don't think the BMST uses CB for any communications.  Most info is passed at the daily riders meeting and over the FM radio. 
Go read the rules... unless something has changed since I last attended no CB required.
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline andychaos

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 01:15:21 PM »
I don't think the BMST uses CB for any communications.  Most info is passed at the daily riders meeting and over the FM radio. 
Go read the rules... unless something has changed since I last attended no CB required.
 :cheers:
Already read the rules and couldn't find any mention of a CB requirement but thought I had better ask.
If they are available at the Pilot truck stop in Wendover then its no big deal if we turn up without one.
Thanks for the replies.
Andy

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 02:39:29 PM »
Buy a Cobra CB and a good roof mounted antenna. They will tell you what channel they are using. Hope you can make the trip' :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 03:10:18 PM »
Andy, at the risk of sounding dull, consider that a CB radio -- while maybe useless outside of America -- is a handy device.  A good, solid model that'll work just fine on the salt should not cost you more than $100 US.  If you pay more you'll be paying for knobs and levers and switches and dials -- that don't make the danged thing work any better for you.

Glen is very correct when he suggests a roof-mounted aerial/antenna.  The short ones with magnet mounts - do work well.  Longer is better, alas, and those with magnet mounts will work very well.  Stay under $100 for the whole package - antenna and radio.

Whether you need one for BMST or not isn't part of my response, but rather one of our yearly comments about CB radios.    I hope this helps someone.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 04:09:41 PM »
As a first timer to BMST  do we need a CB in the support vehicle?
If so where do we buy one when we arrive as the CBs over here in the UK are FM and not compatible apparently.

Just make sure you're up on the lingo.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd5ZLJWQmss
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline rgdavid

• fancy metalwork
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 04:41:14 PM »
10-4 Goggles,
Cb radio was great fun in the late seventies and early eighties because it was ilegal in the uk.
Once had a cop car pull up next to mine while i was yakking on the radio.. i pretended i was shaving with the microphone.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 06:15:01 PM »
Bville motorcycle trials DOES NOT use CB radios at all.  You do not need to buy one if you are only doing BMST as it will be a waste of money.

Everything you need to know is broadcast over FM radio.

Offline andychaos

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 06:41:27 PM »
Bville motorcycle trials DOES NOT use CB radios at all.  You do not need to buy one if you are only doing BMST as it will be a waste of money.

Everything you need to know is broadcast over FM radio.

That's clear enough for me.
Thanks Andy

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 10:43:49 AM »
BMST does not use CBs or any kind of two-way communication BUT THEY SHOULD! There is no way for the race teams to communicate with officials or vice versa. There have been many times when riders (like me) have been stranded way out on the track and the race team recovery vehicles have no idea that riders needed help or even where where the rider was. I like that SCTA has good communication procedure but am baffled as to why BMST does not.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 11:11:43 AM »
I follow my bikes down the track after every pass so that has not been an issue for me.  I am usually there in under 5 minutes should there be a problem.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 06:20:13 PM »
I guess if you're running a short course and coming close to the speed limit, you can get there in 3 minutes.

At SpeedWeek, running the long course and maybe stuck at the 6-1/2, under 7 minutes getting there is probably breaking the rules.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records