Author Topic: Header scrape shield considered aerodynamic aid?  (Read 2800 times)

Offline metermatch

Header scrape shield considered aerodynamic aid?
« on: March 08, 2016, 02:47:21 AM »
I want to put a header scrape shield on my car, and wanted to know if it would be considered streamlining.

Car is a Honda CRX, stock 4 cyl motor, transverse mounted with exhaust coming out the forward side of motor, behind radiator, curving down and under the motor to the rear.  H/Pro and H/GC classes.  The 4 tubes are all parallel together, not bundled like a normal header.  Shield will be about 9" wide by about 18" long.  The header will be close to the ground, and I wanted a shield to protect it.

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Header scrape shield considered aerodynamic aid?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 07:36:22 AM »
3.P page 50 2015 Rule Book
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 10:10:57 AM »
Also read 4.G and all of 4.CC. As DW is fond of saying, if it is not in the rule book, don't read it into the book. And though you don't say there is a collector, the pipes do need to be held together to prevent separation as in 3.P. Your shield can do that.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 10:29:37 AM »
If it's welded to the header, it's part of the header.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 10:40:41 AM »
The above post are true BUT...

Be careful in Pro. If it looks like streamlining you will be called on it. If it's a brace for the header it is a brace, if it's a shield and it looks like streamlining, guess what...

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 10:41:13 PM »
You could perforate it with holes.  Then it is obviously a shield 'cause the holes would not be part of anything intended to be aerodynamic. 

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 10:51:10 PM »
I want to put a header scrape shield on my car, and wanted to know if it would be considered streamlining.

Car is a Honda CRX, stock 4 cyl motor, transverse mounted with exhaust coming out the forward side of motor, behind radiator, curving down and under the motor to the rear.  H/Pro and H/GC classes.  The 4 tubes are all parallel together, not bundled like a normal header.  Shield will be about 9" wide by about 18" long.  The header will be close to the ground, and I wanted a shield to protect it.

Thanks,

Jeff
Also, considering that the criteria are engine swap, non stock supercharger or quick change rear, how you are planning to run /GC?
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019