Author Topic: REPLENISHMENT OF SALT  (Read 35989 times)

Offline crawford

Re: REPLENISHMENT OF SALT
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2016, 11:47:58 AM »
local entities ie The Local Mining Industry at Wendover...is in Fact the major cause of the demise of Bonneville Salt Flats.....

any ldedespite ocal politician(s) who publicly scribed different explanations including
..."the salt is still there".....and during cancellations last summer screamed out on
social media and local newspaper....."I can't for the life of me understand how they
could cancel the meet"...in the face of the sanctioning bodies such as Cook team/SCTA/BUB etal with pics of the situation and entities on salt who intimately understand what it takes for folks to safely race.... 

if it wasnt for the Racers..Save the Salt efforts and Sanctioning bodies banding together to
fight the destruction....it would continue unfettered....

thank you to "all" who fight the fight

All I can say to that is Wow! you are one of those special racers US locals call special!
Current Mayor of Wendover Utah, and life long race fan. owns Wendover Carquest auto-parts.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2016, 10:57:02 AM »
"thank you to "all" who fight the fight"

We need more racers to enlist and commit in this effort which will be ongoing because of the need to get the funds into the Federal Budget to Restore the Salt---that is after we get Legislation passed requiring the Restoration!

Thanks to all who are already engaged  Utah has gotten theirs underway, Nevada has several,  we have several here in AZ who are willing,  one in Texas one in Mich. and several in CA.  I am sure there are many others but we do not know who they are.  We will have a much better chance of having our voice heard when we are able to identify and communicate with them so that we will know their US House and Senate members are being contacted.

To LONGER deeper and firmer SALT Flat Race Course.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2016, 05:40:27 PM »
Sparky,
  What about Intrepid's reclamation bond?
Isn't that what it's for?

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2016, 11:50:02 PM »
Sam... $100 doesn't go as far as it used to....  :?
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2016, 11:52:12 PM »
I am by no means know all of the ins and outs on OUR Lack of Salt Problem.  I am just relaying what I understand the most viable option is..

My guess is that the bond is for when they "quit" the property with out complying with their contract.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2016, 11:51:48 AM »
" the most viable option is..", " funds into the Federal Budget to Restore the Salt---that is after we get Legislation passed requiring the Restoration!"

So, you go to meet the Senator/Represenative and are greeted by the Senior Staffer-in-Charge-of-Things-Hissoner-Can't-Be-Bothered-With.
"Thank you for coming, I'm afraid Hissonner can't meet with you today. He's very busy with matters concerning National Security and the working conditions at a vital installation concerning the well-being of all members of Congress. Please, tell me your problem and I promise I will bring it to Hissonner's attention as soon as he gets a break from these more pressing issues."

What are you going to tell the Staffer?

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2016, 12:41:37 PM »
Sparky, I'm not privy to the contract/bond for reclamation at the Salt, but as I know it up here, with lots of mines and many other land-intensive businesses, the bond is established by purchased at the outset, meaning that it is (supposedly, I presume) 100% of the $$ needed to return things to natural is already sitting there as a bond or money in the bank or however the permit required it.   It's to be used at the end of the life of the mine - whether the owner of that mine is still available or not.  I believe the owner gets to use that money - or the government will.

Is that the way it goes?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2016, 12:49:59 PM »
LOL  Sam  sounds like you have been there done that; but my experience is that it all counts and it will be accumulative."

Our job as racers is to work with our State and Federal elected officials to help them to be a representative and not just an elected official.  This takes time and effort, but there are now lots of car guys know we have a SALT problem---our job is to help inform them le how THEY can to help return the SALT.  

We need to become ambassadors-at-large for the SALT FLATS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2016, 12:52:03 PM »
SSS  I think you are right it is for the end of mine---not while it is still active.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2016, 08:17:40 AM »
Interesting article about the shrinking lake on Accuweather with photo. In upper left corner can see the salt flats, I80 dividing and the ponds/holding areas south.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/features/trend/utah_great_salt_lake_shrinking_environmental_implications_harmful_dust_storms/56189290

I still remember the '82-3 El Nino year with the lake flooding the airport, pumps being installed to lower the lake level, the road bed and railroad being elevated to stay above the lake. And the meet being flooded out of course.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 08:20:54 AM by jacksoni »
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2016, 01:18:19 PM »
Morning all, just a little positive info to report. I just got home from vending at the Portland Swap Meet (PIR & EXPO). I printed up the UA poster and then 100 or so flyer size copies and we set up a prominent display at our booth. Wend(set-up day) was slow on interest but Thursday, it took off and by Fri, I was all out of flyers, however people continued to stop to read the entire poster and many engaged me in Q&A ! I even had one guy immediately reach into his pocket and want to donate on the spot, to which I directed him to the info on the flyer for the STS and/or UA to make his donation. This gentleman has only been a spectator,not a racer, but was totally in support of our cause. So, while I realize it is a small 'victory' , EVERY voice can help. I will continue to display at any like-minded event> BLM ~ WE WILL NEVER GIVE UP! Good Salt 2016 :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2016, 07:55:56 PM »
A LSR " Ambassador-at-Large"  you were for our assisting the efforts to RESTORE TO PRESERVE the Bonneville Salt Flats! Good on ya as our salt brothers from down south like to say--- the time will come when we will also have a "how to contact your elected officials and ask them to support the ON GOING effort !

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2016, 01:04:50 PM »
I think everyone would be surprised how much financial support we could get from "Go Fund Me."  A few free ads in national magazines and it would be in front of half a million people who care.  The problem is, there needs to be a plan of action in writing so the money goes to actually moving salt, and an account set up by those who need to spend said funds.  A collection jar at events will certainly get results as well, but not in the masses we could see online, where a "click to pay" Paypal button makes life so simple these days. 
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 
Racing is the evil modification of insanity.

Offline burbanite

• New folks
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2016, 05:09:27 PM »
I think everyone would be surprised how much financial support we could get from "Go Fund Me."  A few free ads in national magazines and it would be in front of half a million people who care.  The problem is, there needs to be a plan of action in writing so the money goes to actually moving salt, and an account set up by those who need to spend said funds.  A collection jar at events will certainly get results as well, but not in the masses we could see online, where a "click to pay" Paypal button makes life so simple these days. 

Worth a shot, I'd be in on that.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2016, 10:01:10 PM »
I agree!!  It will all come with time---we need to plan for the long haul!!