Author Topic: Complete novice ...  (Read 9394 times)

txblackbird

Complete novice ...
« on: September 17, 2006, 11:46:18 PM »
This October will by my first attempt(s) at running any sort of timed speed trial - not sure what to expect, but I can't wait  :!:

Any words of wisdom are welcome ...  8)

landracing

Complete novice ...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 12:17:27 AM »
Hang on and pull the throttle.

read the rule book, then re read it again just to make sure....

Ask anything you have a question about before you leave for the salt... Easier to fix stuff at home then on the salt...

We all look forward to seeing you on the salt in october...

Hope for wind and some heat, to dry out the water thats left there from the WOS meet.

Jon

txblackbird

Complete novice ...
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 10:58:47 AM »
Quote from: landracing
Hang on and pull the throttle.

read the rule book, then re read it again just to make sure....

Ask anything you have a question about before you leave for the salt... Easier to fix stuff at home then on the salt...

We all look forward to seeing you on the salt in october...

Hope for wind and some heat, to dry out the water thats left there from the WOS meet.

Jon

Jon - Thanks for the reply!  Didn't mean to mislead - I'm running the Texas Mile this October - I'm definitely not ready for the salt ...  :shock:  (although it is one of my goals)

Your words are still valid and do apply to the slab - My questions are starting to answer themselves just getting the bike prepared.  

You've been to the Mile - aside from the obvious tech changes I need to make to the bike - is there anything (not in print) that you think I need to be aware of ??

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Complete novice ...
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 12:16:40 PM »
Since its late in the year, leave it as stock as you can. Ride the bike as much as you can on the street and get very familial with it, then make as many passes as you can at the track, wring the livin snot out of it, you will have a baseline for future performance upgrades, make all your changes in the off season. buy an Air-Tech one piece race tail for it.
kr

txblackbird

Complete novice ...
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 03:30:00 PM »
Quote from: 1212FBGS
Since its late in the year, leave it as stock as you can. Ride the bike as much as you can on the street and get very familial with it, then make as many passes as you can at the track, wring the livin snot out of it, you will have a baseline for future performance upgrades, make all your changes in the off season. buy an Air-Tech one piece race tail for it.
kr

KR - good advice.  I've owned this particular bike for 10 years and am real familiar with it.  I don't plan on making any mods to it at all - other than the ones required to pass tech (steering damper and a kill switch).

gunracer1

Complete novice ...
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 03:23:55 PM »
this won't make you go any faster, but bring some shade. i didn't in the spring and sported quit the burn.

txblackbird

Complete novice ...
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 05:02:29 PM »
Quote from: gunracer1
this won't make you go any faster, but bring some shade. i didn't in the spring and sported quit the burn.

Now there's something that I would not have thought about bringing ...  :idea:
Thanks!!

Offline TRNorBRN6001

Complete novice ...
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 06:40:21 PM »
My Bro and I will be there towards the far end of the course to get a good view of everyone at speed. We'll Have a Busa and a ZX12 with a touch of nos each. It Should be a very good showing for bikes this time with a decent number of built 12's which is rare. We will be looking for ya as them Big Bird Hondas are even more rare.

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
Complete novice ...
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 08:20:59 PM »
Pay strict attention to where the finish line is and apply light to moderate braking and progressively get more and more aggresive.. the shut down area is only 1/2 mile... with adequate run off there after...

Just be prepared to stop .... going fast is the easy part of the battle at any venue.... slowing down progressively is always more important then getting up to speed...
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline TRNorBRN6001

Complete novice ...
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 10:54:01 AM »
Yep, very true. A buddy of mine went down through the traps at 200+ last time. He is doing well and will be out to spectate this time. I have only been 195 and change on my twelve and there seemed like plenty of room to slow down. Hoping for 200 this time.  :D

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
Complete novice ...
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 12:08:08 PM »
have fun in texas boys.

there was a black turbo Blackbird there in the spring. look for him.

i'll be thinking of you and watching for updates.
pat Russ on the back and ask him about this:

while in the ER post crash earlier this year, he was more than a bit stoned and asked the nurse to "wipe his sack?" even asked Amber as well when we got the ER in Austin.

Offline TRNorBRN6001

Complete novice ...
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 01:06:58 PM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Just want to let everyone know BBB is the person who went a few hundred miles out of his way to transport Russ's stuff back to Austin after he took the helicopter taxi service.

BBB is a real stand up guy!

Yep, I stopped by a few times to see Russ and I think he only remembers one. BBB Are you headed to Maxton this weekend? If so, hope you run well.

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
Complete novice ...
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 02:53:34 PM »
no, cant make the trip this weekend. but, there are plenty of other folks going who should make it entertaining and if they get some decent weather (temperature) should run some good numbers.

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: Complete novice ...
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 08:38:02 PM »
Quote from: txblackbird
This October will by my first attempt(s) at running any sort of timed speed trial - not sure what to expect, but I can't wait  :!:

Any words of wisdom are welcome ...  8)

1. Breath(the most versatile piece of wisdom I've ever heard, and very applicable in this situation also).

2.  Write down everything you possibly can about every run. It doesn't matter if it's about you, the bike or the track(preferably all three though). This will create a habit that will be very valuable later, especially as you head home and realize you don't remember near what you thought you would.

3.Have a safe weekend and it will be considered succesful. If you put that at the top of the list each meet, you have a good chance of every meet after that becoming more succesful then the last.

Good luck,
Todd

Offline TRNorBRN6001

Complete novice ...
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 08:40:41 PM »
Just had my ZX-12 dynoed, 206HP 113TQ on C16. 278HP on a small shot of juice. Hope it gets my 255lbs to 200mph. It still needs some twicking too.

Good luck for next time BBB.