Author Topic: Sponsorship packet advice  (Read 4856 times)

Offline Slide

Sponsorship packet advice
« on: March 04, 2016, 01:52:59 AM »
This is totally not land speed related, so that's why I have it in here...

A friend of mine, was very active in a race series up until about 3 years ago when his business just got too busy, his family life got too busy...and well...life happens... (I think he was self funding the car and about bankrupted his business and family)

Anyways, he left at the top of his game. His vehicle and drivers (he had two) won just about everything in their class and still hold lap records across the nation for their class.

He has been toying with the idea of getting back in the game, has access to the same drivers (who are still pro drivers) and he still has the car...which is 95% ready to go. He has updated some parts and needs tondo some testing.

I don't think the car is ready to dominate and needs about 20% revised if one could put an artificial generic number on it.

He has a couple big companies that have committed to parts only, one a suspension company and the other a tire company. But no cash...

He says he can run a shoe string season for $30k not including the world championship if he gets invited (he was invited last year and he didn't race a single event all year in the car).

I think he will need $50-60k to operate and another $20k to update the car to be max competitive... So $80k...

We, and I say we, because I'm a medically retired cop and just love being around race cars so I'm doing this for
Free, don't have much of an operating budget to hire a marketing company to get shit together for cash currency sponsors...
...or writing contracts for contingency cash that's worth a damn...
...or how to...how to...how to...

I'm going to do my best and call magazines and online streaming and tv to find out what ads cost, so I can come up with what putting a logo on the side of our car equates to etc... And show how much press the car still gets and hasn't turned a lap in 3 years...

And try to work out a deal with a specialty forum for a 12 part article with photos,
And hopefully a magazine or two doing spreads...

But putting it all together... Hints on all the crap I don't know... Where is a good place to start?

Oh and a crappy thing...the drivers...all cut their teeth on this car...so they made their careers because of this car...unfortunately, they both have contracts where, they can run events for us for free, but we can't exploit their name for sponsors because their real big boy sponsors won't like it...

And the owner of the car got into a pissing match with the automotive manufacturers guy who controls factory sponsorship, so calling them is out... Because the owner of the car continues to spit at this guy... Some people just won't ever learn...

Anyways... Any guidance would be great! Suggestions on where to learn up so I can write up some
Proposals and shot gun them out and not look like a total idiot (I know I need to Taylor them to specific companies because their needs are each different, but that's all I know!!!)

Offline tauruck

Re: Sponsorship packet advice
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 06:21:02 AM »
Sponsorship is the toughest deal in motor sports.
From my current personal experience at the ripe old age of 60 I now have 53 product and material sponsors.
Finding funding is the hard part but I did find a whole bunch of downloadable proposals for sponsorship online.
They are pretty good and detailed. You could tailor them to suit your needs.
Hope this helps and good luck. :cheers:

Mike.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 10:58:05 AM »
Most small teams can't afford a sponsor.

Suggestions on where to learn up so I can write up some proposals and shot gun them out and not look like a total idiot (I know I need to Taylor tailor them to specific companies because their needs are each different, but that's all I know!!!)

If you shot-gun them out without spell checking them, you will look like a - well - I don't think you are, but kidding aside, you need to focus.

Shotgun is the wrong tool - you'll spend a lot of time and money at Kinkos that will simply end up in the land fill.

You need to build a brand along with a team and a car, know the sponsor's business, show how your brand integrates with a possible sponsor, and deliver results.

What can you provide for a sponsor?

It needs to be a good fit.

It goes from a racing endeavor to a partnership.  You'll need to be prepared to take care of your sponsor(s), make time (this is what kills a lot of low level folks) to drag the car to events - even if it's a company picnic - and the driver will need to be available to do the glad-handing.    

Most of the visibility of racing sponsorship does not happen on the track - it happens with tie-ins, print ads, displays at shopping centers and festivals, shows, etc.

To enforce this point, other than Indy, the Knoxville Nationals or NASCAR events, there are seldom enough spectators at any event to warrant putting a car on the track to raise brand awareness.  Road racing generally sees more people on any given weekend, but few events are telecast, and you're sharing a track with 25-40 other distractions.  Take a look at any drag racing event on You-tube - there's nobody in the audience, so your team needs to reach the public in other ways than simply racing.

You need to commit to providing value to your sponsor.  Ask yourself, "What are we willing to commit to help our sponsor?"

It's nice to have the parts - be grateful for them - but it's a fools errand to try to get cash out of a competition related business.  It's not unusual at a lot of events to have more competitors and team members than fans in the seats.  All of your competitors already shop at Summit or are using ARP studs, so why would they pay you to put a sticker on your car that came free with the last order you placed?   

Press releases are your friend - provided you've got an interesting story.  I lucked out with an NPR affiliate in Milwaukee and a magazine cover in Great Britain - but I'm running an unusual car that has it's own historic and romantic appeal.

Honestly, it's all most can do to get the car ready for the race.

You're committing to at least a part-time job to maintain sponsorship at the level you propose.

Also, keep in mind - the more sponsors you have, the less impact you can provide for any given sponsor, and the less amount of time you can provide for them.  If the car is plastered with stickers, nobody knows who to thank.

To start, figure out why this team is unique.  Critically evaluate what separates you from the competition.  Make a mission statement, and go from there.

A lot of small PR firms will give you a free meeting.  Take your mission statement in, along with the team competition goals, explain the fund raising you need to do, trade dog-and-pony shows, and ask for specific examples that they've done in sports marketing and sponsorship.

It will be an uphill battle, but first determine if you can afford a sponsor.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Slide

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 11:11:41 AM »
Awesome!!

Yeah...sorry for the spelling! ;)

I'm at mcrd and the billeting I'm in is next to the San Diego airport runway... So
Late night thinking and posting on my cell phone!!!

I'll take all this into consideration and get more research in. Hopefully it's not too much a fools errand... Thank god I'm doing it just for "fun"!!!

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 11:54:46 AM »
The racing programme 'needs' $80k, but does that include "promoting the promotion"? No use having a bold name on a car unless it is seen. And I do not mean just at the race tracks.  Here are some maths to show the size of the project to fund a seasons racing and some of the early hurdles.  There are books to buy on motorsport sponsorship so the following is free - use it as you wish!

Using a single business as the prospective sponsor, for simplicity, the money that they invest in the programme will come from annual profit (and might be better used for other marketing purposes). Will the racing series/championship or whatever it is reach their target market - do they sell their product to people who attend the racing or read about the racing or watch the racing, if there is TV coverage. If you are seeking sponsors then will another 29 racers be doing the same?

If the racing could 'fit', by providing a target market, you may be able to draw up a list of companies which might be worth approaching.

Do you know a Director/CEO of each of those businesses? You must always make contact with a name in any business - mainly because your 'Dear Sir' approach might be to a woman who runs the department which holds the budget! If you do, getting a meeting to explain the proposal face to face this will be better than sending in a written proposal which becomes waste paper, as Chris described. So your first goal is a meeting.  It will be up to you how the story is then presented. What is unique about your team that makes you stand out from the other 29?

If a business makes a $100k profit that is put back into sales promotion then at a margin of 6% their turnover, to earn this amount, has to be on sales amounting to $16.6m of whatever it is they make or do (if they sell their services). Now realistically any business may only spend 10% on sponsorship, as the other 90% of profit allocated to their marketing/sales promotion will go on proven techniques such as direct advertising (advertisments), trade shows stands, sales-personnel on the road, telesales, facebook, internet, etc. etc.

So already you will need to be looking at businesses turning over $166m a year. How many businesses have that financial size and can gain from the motor sport sponsorship. Do you know them all?  Do any already sponsor motorsport?  If you can only guess any of the answers then you need to do some fundamental research.

Is the racing all within a single State or is it spread much wider? If you have a dozen (12) businesses now listed, then they will be all that you have to approach and ask. If only eleven say 'no', you might just have a funded programme.  If you have a hundred (100) look once again realistically at what your racing team can offer and you may find that number should be reduced.

How long do you have to find the money?  If it is less than three months to the first event, then think again if a 2016 programme is likely to be funded.

This sort of approach works in any Country, but I hope you understood the English version.

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Slide

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 12:50:32 PM »
This is great!!! The car used to have a deal with Garret turbo and their parent company... This is probably going to be our best bet.

OS Giken is another possibility that I will be looking as they are trying to make a bigger name in the US... Also the tire company that has a product only agreement with the owner of the car...I'm going to see if I can manipulate that and go from there.

But those numbers listed above help when I try to talk about the realities!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 01:48:41 PM »

OS Giken is another possibility that I will be looking as they are trying to make a bigger name in the US... Also the tire company that has a product only agreement with the owner of the car...I'm going to see if I can manipulate that and go from there.

Those sponsors that you already have are great starting points. 

Pop for lunch with your contacts, and ask them if there's anybody they'd like to be associated with.  They may well have a relationship with another sponsor in a different endeavor that has provided good synergies for them, and you get the name of a qualified contact. 

And that you've included them makes them realize that you are a team player.

This also prevents you from signing a sponsor that your current sponsor isn't happy with.  The last thing you want is sponsors who don't like each other.  You want to be the focal point of positive reaction.

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 02:32:58 PM »
" (I think he was self funding the car and about bankrupted his business and family)"

Do I know you?  :-D
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 02:56:38 PM »
One other thought -

Pissing matches - somehow, that needs to get put into the rear view mirror and settled amicably.

Sponsors talk to each other.  While you're running around the pits or circling the track, there's a lot of down time for a sponsor to check out others who are familiar with you and your reputation.

Additionally, you may not be in the mix this year, but if an opportunity turns up with the big dogs next year, you certainly don't want to be in the honey bucket.

This is "brand management, 101".

It may be tough to swallow, but swallow, you must.

Offline Slide

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 02:22:17 PM »
Yeah... We have to deal with that a bit since the owner has a consistent pissing match with the manufacturer of the car's Motorsport boss...

So that's awesome.... (Sarcasm)

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 02:16:31 AM »
This is great!!! The car used to have a deal with Garret turbo and their parent company... This is probably going to be our best bet.

If you can get a brand name sponsor like that it will help you get other sponsors. Just like a shopping center looks for a big name anchor store to ensure traffic sponsors are going to want to see evidence that someone else is willing to risk their company name by hanging it on your door. Look at how fast some sponsors drop a major name driver if he does something stupid. You and your car are indirectly a part of your sponsors marketing and how their customers see them. A major sponsor will help you get others interested.

One other thing to find out is not only who has the title and budget for advertising, but if you can figure out who really makes the decisions on those expenditures. You might have 5 departments all with advertising budgets and for their own part of the pie, but somebody else might actually be the person you need to sell.

The economy is contracting rapidly right now (although you wouldn't know it listening to the major media and Gov't officials), but all the major leading indicators are waving red flags that things are slowing down rapidly. Just today I noticed a local construction equipment auction outfit that has so much stuff on their lots they can hardly walk between the pieces of equipment. Just down the road is a line of a couple hundred idle RR cars just sitting on a siding. You will be selling into a contracting economy by late this year so be sure to tell them how your car will help them boost sales and bring warm bodies into the show room.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 09:31:59 PM »

One other thing to find out is not only who has the title and budget for advertising, but if you can figure out who really makes the decisions on those expenditures. You might have 5 departments all with advertising budgets and for their own part of the pie, but somebody else might actually be the person you need to sell.

Expanding a bit on the above:

Never underestimate the influence a receptionist or secretary can have on your proposal.  They can be very effective "gate keepers" for their employer by identifying those that might be perceived to be bull slingers or con artists and either shutting the door on them or placing high hurdles in their paths.  Conversely they can often open doors and schedule appointments at prime times and lengths with the appropriate powers if first impressions are good and they feel you and your proposals might benefit their employer.

Always be polite and treat them with respect for their position.  Listen close, often they can offer unspoken words between the spoken by the way they word things which can  help you in the pursuit of your goals.

Ed

Offline aussievetteracer

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 06:09:36 AM »
In the words of the song "Always stay humble and kind"
Regards, Denis
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 07:21:08 PM by aussievetteracer »
Denis

Offline maj

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 04:00:35 PM »
Your options may be different to ours,
Is advertising tax deductable ? and is the series televised  ? if so your open to any product , dont just look at the automotive stuff

Offline Slide

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 04:48:37 PM »
Just want to let everyone know, I really appreciate all this feed back and I am currently typing up a message to the owner.  Basically the pros and cons of what he has and what I think our realistic options are for attaining money and especially for gaining press attention. (Hoping that we can use that also to gain monetary sponsors, by looking at who is buying ad space in where ever our picture is being shown)

Some other things as well! I really appreciate all of this!!!