Author Topic: New(?) Idea for Alternative Race Sites  (Read 18452 times)

Offline RansomT

Re: New(?) Idea for Alternative Race Sites
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 06:40:05 PM »
We have an old SAC base in NE Arkansas too.  It is 11602' long and in good condition.  They do some SCTA racing there and the Chamber of Commerce might appreciate our business too.  Keith from ECTA said there are often FAA issues, but it doesn't hurt to keep asking.  It would be a like closer to home for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_International_Airport

Aren't they doing the Arkansas Mile there in early June?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 07:32:17 PM »
  Maine  is a Sac Runway......You get to race on  the runways used by  Nuclear armed B-52's  :-D

Yeah -- planes that had Stainless and Johnboy as repair guys working on 'em.  Wathc for gouges from where parts fell off? :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 09:09:55 PM »
Slim,
 I never had a crew refuse to fly one I said was ready and never had a crew fly one that I didn't think was safe. Every one I launched doing peace and war made it back safe, some with major battle damage, but back safe :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 10:52:11 PM »
Ransom, yes that is where they are running the Arkansas Mile.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 07:44:04 AM »
Johnboy, I'll let pride in your duty take way precedence over my smart-acura remarks -- even though I still think it was appros-pos.

Thanks for your work way back then. :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 09:19:14 AM »
Hey SSS, most of my flying was to deem the aircraft safe enough for others to fly after I worked on it  :? .... but if it makes you feel better I was sitting in the IP seat and let a buzzard fly into an engine less than a quarter mile off the end, took out the paired engine, the mayhem that ensued left engine and pod pieces scattered about... no marks on the runway... but one of the guys might of had a racing stripe  :-o he unstowed his trigger ring when the pilot said we had fire
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 10:14:21 AM »
Hey SSS, most of my flying was to deem the aircraft safe enough for others to fly after I worked on it 
 :cheers:

Hey -- good idea.  Kinda like making the butcher eat the first piece of sausage made after cleaning the stuffing machine? :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 10:22:18 AM »
If Arkansas is anything like Loring ME you won't be disappointed.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 04:42:38 PM »
If Arkansas is anything like Loring ME you won't be disappointed.
Same SAC runway layout. It is just warmer in Arkansas :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 05:12:26 PM »
BBurner said:   "...If Arkansas is anything like Loring ME you won't be disappointed."

Well, don't the antlers on the moose grow counter-clockwise in Arkansas??    That'd be weird to see.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline edinlr

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2016, 06:53:48 PM »
Thanks for the clarification on Arkansas, see I was right about it being a good idea.  The best thing is that it is only a four hour drive from home.  This sounds like a great test and tune opportunity.

As far as weather goes, it was fairly warm in Maine last fall, we stayed a few days extra and temps were in the low 90's.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline wfojohn

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 10:21:31 AM »
Okay, please don't take this as dumping on any organization but I find the entry prices a little more than on the high side. The Arkansas meet is within 225 miles from me so it is a viable option but the 2 and 3 day costs are up there. I cannot find records so I don't think there is a certification process as with the SCTA. I've been around LSR since 1979 and know the costs involved to build and compete, in my mind I see what a week at Bonneville cost which I feel is extremely fair and now the 3 day meet at Ohio (wish they would certify) and that is what prompted me to talk out loud.

With the increasing options of race venues I hope Dan Warners' proprosal to get a nationwide 1 mile record data base gets some traction and is revisited.

U.S. Mile people, even though I commented about your operation I am very glad you exist and sincerly want you to prosper.

Thank you,
John Ritter

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 06:20:10 PM »
Slim I think the black bears are about the same though.

Offline Truckedup

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2016, 03:35:03 PM »
Okay, please don't take this as dumping on any organization but I find the entry prices a little more than on the high side. The Arkansas meet is within 225 miles from me so it is a viable option but the 2 and 3 day costs are up there. I cannot find records so I don't think there is a certification process as with the SCTA. I've been around LSR since 1979 and know the costs involved to build and compete, in my mind I see what a week at Bonneville cost which I feel is extremely fair and now the 3 day meet at Ohio (wish they would certify) and that is what prompted me to talk out loud.

With the increasing options of race venues I hope Dan Warners' proprosal to get a nationwide 1 mile record data base gets some traction and is revisited.  

Ohio or Maine is 300 bucks entry fee and the cost of two nights in a motel might be another 200-300 bucks... What is the entry fees at Bonneville ?

Yes, the paved tracks are not the salt and all the mystic but they do allow racing for those of us on the east side who don't have the time and money to make a nearly cross country trip.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 05:45:35 PM by Truckedup »
Triumph 650 LTA MPG record holder  133.1 MPH...

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2016, 03:16:21 PM »
Unless a knowledge group of people actually go and see the conditions we will always be in a guessing mode. Also cleaning gypsum off your car can't be any worse than cleaning salt off your car.

So who lives in NM near WS?  I'll chip in $20 towards gas for an exploratory trip.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member