Author Topic: Throttle Jan '41, Wanted: A Lake  (Read 6794 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Throttle Jan '41, Wanted: A Lake
« on: February 25, 2016, 05:33:07 PM »
I extracted this from the first issue of Throttle magazine and published in my club newsletter in 2004.  I thought it might find some interest at this time.

Wanted: A Lake

With the 1941 season just a few short months away, boys of the “winter bench racing clan” are turning their thoughts toward six months of lakes meets, many of them not realizing what kind of problem faces the leaders of the various associations and owners of timing devices who have spent most of the winter worrying about a location suitable for racing.

When Western Timing Association closed its season with an invitational meet on Muroc Dry Lake, and the Southern California Timing Association ended 1940 with a race at Harper’s…that’s when the worry began.

Every attempt to regain the privilege of using Muroc for amateur racing has meet with defeat, and owners of surrounding property at Harper’s have banded together to put a stop to racing there.  Rosamond, of course, is unfit.

The United States Army is the reason Muroc has been scratched off the list.  As for Harper’s…it was just the childish pranks of a few nitwits who thought it smart to tear up someone else’s property that cinched that deal.  But then, there’s always a few “rotten apples” in every barrel of good ones.

Throttle Investigates

Upon the good word of Friend George Wight of Bell, California, I investigated a proposition offered by a man who owns every square foot of a dry lake bed on which can be measured a course of some four or five miles.

All he wants to do is fence it off and charge a nominal price for each and every  person who enters, whether they be spectators or participants.

If his price doesn’t get too high, the idea would be very good.  First, because it would cut down the number of spectators after one or two meets, which is the one thing that seems to cause most of the trouble at every Lakes meet…

It’s not very far from Los Angeles, approximately 140 miles according to the road map I checked…

We are planning to take a Sunday off to make a special trip to this lake, named Lucerne Lake…

This appears to be the last resort to keep amateur racing and lakes meets going if what I’ve heard is any criterion.

SCTA Secretary Art Tilton has told me that a group of fellows joining together, pooled their interests, and with a total capital of some figure in the thousands set out to buy outright a three-mile strip of land that could be transformed into a neat course.

Everything possible was done to get the deed to the property or even a lease on it for the summer months, but efforts were in vain.

It all boils down to this, that should no place within 200 miles of Los Angeles be available, there will be but one thing left to do.

Everybody take a week of in the middle of summer, hire a special train to Salt Lake City, Utah, and the joint associations sponsor a gigantic three-days lakes meet on the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Throttle Jan '41, Wanted: A Lake
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 09:02:16 PM »
Sounds like a good idea, I'm in! :mrgreen:
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 09:34:44 PM »
KBT... at 164 you should have been young enough in 41 to appreciate the problem.... it's back.... Oh, maybe you were still in NZ back then  :roll:

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 01:27:15 AM »
  I am confused.  Wasn't it a Penal Colony for wayward Ausies back then?  (that ought to wake up all those Kiwi's out there)!  Of course the whole bunch have "skewed" opinions from standing on their heads 24/7.                                              ORB, out.....................................................
Bob Drury

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 03:00:44 AM »
Not too much bothers me Bob, I've learned how to respect & laugh at myself & others equally. I've now lived in the US longer than I lived in NZ or AUS & I still feel a strong alliance to all three. It's not easy being 164 & I really don't look my age! :lol: I thought I was the oldest here but then I found out Goggs beats me by a year, must be a "down unda thing".
  Sid.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 01:04:35 PM »
  Sid, any one who is allowed to be a member of Al Teague's team has already made it to the "Hall of Fame" in my book. I want to thank You for all the work You have done in the last Year in fighting to save the salt for all of Us. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
p.s. A bunch from Kiwi Konnection and Squeek are usually up here for the Portland Swap Meet (April 1-3) and the next door PIR (race track) swap meet (Mar 31-April 2).
  The reason they overlap is because this is the biggest swap meet west of the Mississippi and it really helps the vendor's getting in and out.
  My space is #1158 on the North side of the race track and all are welcome to stop by to swap lies.  I would also offer You a place to stay (one queen size bed) or share the floor with Sarah (sorry, she is a Golden Retriever... but then again You live in Idaho.).
                                                                                   Old One Run, out...........................
Bob Drury

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 01:18:31 PM »
I believe that The Rodders Journal offers a compilation of all issues of Throttle magazine in their store.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 12:24:39 AM »
  Sid, any one who is allowed to be a member of Al Teague's team has already made it to the "Hall of Fame" in my book. I want to thank You for all the work You have done in the last Year in fighting to save the salt for all of Us. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
p.s. A bunch from Kiwi Konnection and Squeek are usually up here for the Portland Swap Meet (April 1-3) and the next door PIR (race track) swap meet (Mar 31-April 2).
  The reason they overlap is because this is the biggest swap meet west of the Mississippi and it really helps the vendor's getting in and out.
  My space is #1158 on the North side of the race track and all are welcome to stop by to swap lies.  I would also offer You a place to stay (one queen size bed) or share the floor with Sarah (sorry, she is a Golden Retriever... but then again You live in Idaho.).
                                                                                   Old One Run, out...........................
Thanks for the hall of fame gesture Bob. I'm proud of what we achieved back then & Al & Jane became my family.
I grew up in sheep & potato country, I fit here in Idaho.
Say hi to Squeek for me, it's been a while.
  Sid.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 07:29:42 PM »
Don't be silly, Sid. You look your age.  :roll: Wayno

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 12:37:27 AM »
Don't be silly, Sid. You look your age.  :roll: Wayno
I'm the only 164 year old you know so you can't tell! :lol:
  Sid.

Offline Elmo Rodge