Author Topic: Paint removal  (Read 2878 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Paint removal
« on: February 23, 2016, 04:49:59 PM »
The serial number alum. sticker has been painted over on this trailer.  I need to gently try to remove the paint with out harming the 40 year old alum sticker .  I have no idea what kind of paint was used. Suggestions please---I need to be able to read the serial number to get a title and plates!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: Paint removal
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 04:58:07 PM »
Home Depot
Citristrip Model # ECG73807 Internet # 100164441 Store SKU # 323433 17 oz. Safer Paint and Varnish Stripper
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 08:36:13 PM »
Brake fluid.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 12:33:15 AM »
Thanks guys, I thought about brake fluid.  I thought it might be too aggressive, I will try some on my other trailer's tag as a test. in the AM
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 08:18:31 AM »
Thanks guys, I thought about brake fluid.  I thought it might be too aggressive, I will try some on my other trailer's tag as a test. in the AM

Good plan.  Just depends on what kind of plastic is used as the top layer of that sticker.  Hard to believe it wasn't some sort of stamped metal.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 11:30:45 AM »
Those plastic stick on tags are common on trailers & are the same as used on vehicles. What ever you use don't wipe it or you will end up with a blank tag. Let it soak & dab it gently.
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 11:47:57 AM »
Right on Sid  this has an aluminized layer that is indented/stamped    maybe typed with and old timey striker keys typewriter