Author Topic: Columbia River Maritime Museum - Astoria, OR  (Read 3307 times)

gkabbt

Columbia River Maritime Museum - Astoria, OR
« on: February 21, 2016, 08:28:45 PM »

Before I left home for the Bonneville NW Reunion, I kinda mapped out what I wanted to do before and after the reunion.
I will not bore you with my before stuff but I would like to bore you with the after stuff.

Today, I left Portland and headed NW, on US 30, on my way to Cape Disappointment, WA.  I decided on this because a colleague I used to work with, and she was DANM fine looking, was in the Coast Guard stationed there and had told me many stories about the ocean/river.

As I came into Astoria, I saw this museum. Was here for a couple of hours and will say that it is a wonderful museum and would definitely recommend it if you are in the area. Naturally, there is a lot of history of the Columbia Bar and River.

Here is my Google Photos link:

https://goo.gl/photos/PeXebNDiAwyRXFRdA

Tomorrow I head down the coast on 101. Tuesday I'll be at the Evergreen Air and Space Museum in McMinnville and Wednesday I'm meeting up with Mike Kelly and Bob Drury at the World of Speed Museum in Wilsonville.
I'll certainly post pics of those museums.

Sorry to ramble..... :-D

As usual, I hope you enjoy the pics,

Gregg
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:56:57 PM by gkabbt »

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Columbia River Maritime Museum - Astoria, OR
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 10:00:50 PM »
Gregg, in the middle of Astoria is Coxcomb Hill and on top of it is the Astoria Column.  The view from up there, provided it is not raining, is wonderful at dawn. 

gkabbt

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 10:16:00 PM »

Bo, thanks for that. I saw a sign for it today and did not know what it meant, I just did a Google and WOW, that view is spectacular. I'll get there tomorrow AM if it's not raining.

Muchas gracias for the tip,

Gregg

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 10:17:03 PM »
Gregg,

Thanks for the pics and "tour" of the museum, enjoyed it all very much.  As a Hooligan from back in the day when 36's were at the end of their service life being replaced by the new 44's it is good to see so much history so well preserved.  If I ever get out that way Cape Disappointment and the museum will be on my must see list.

Ed

gkabbt

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 10:30:10 PM »

Ed, Good story from back in the day!   I REALLY gotta say that this museum was a VERY pleasant surprise for me!

As I've posted many times before, my main reason for posting pics is for everyone who cannot be here!

Glad you enjoyed,

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 11:08:33 PM »

Bo, Forgot to add previously, It was REALLY  GREAT meeting/talking with you Saturday night. That is, when I FINALLY realized who you were. Thanks for wearing THAT shirt.....LOL!!!

Gregg

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 11:24:37 PM »
There is an air museum in Tillamook in the blimp hanger just south of town and a few miles east of US101.  it is on your way south.

It is nice of Glenn to do this every year.  It means so much to us now.  It is the only time we see each other since the salt is wet.  it was nice to meet you and have a safe trip back home.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 11:53:01 PM »

They're trying to move to Central Oregon because they can't find anyone to re-roof the WWII blimp hangar the museum is in.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline salt27

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 01:00:07 AM »
Gregg,
         One of my favorite places is Cape Kiwanda at Pacific City.
You need to climb to the top and out to the end to get the best views of the crashing waves.
If its raining I wouldn't do it because it gets a bit slick and is a long way down.

My son (Joel, Gus, Little Puke or what ever Freud happens to be calling him at the time  :-D) said he very much enjoyed visiting with you at the Banquet.

Don

gkabbt

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 09:31:53 AM »

Guys, Thanks for the suggestions on my trip south.

Don, I also enjoyed chatting with Gus as well. He seems like a REALLY good kid. Be proud, ya done good!

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 09:20:55 PM »

In Lincoln City for the night and I can say the scenery on the ride down was VERY, VERY good. I had forgotten how much I love the Pacific Ocean coast. Much different than the Atlantic.

Bo, thanks for the tip on the Astoria Column.....WOW what views!    

Leaving Astoria, I went to Ft. Stevens State Park and drove all the way out to the point. This is where the mouth of the Columbia meets the Pacific. I now understand why the crossing of the Columbia River Bar is so dangerous!  
VERY angry water!!!!!

Don, I can fully understand what you said about Cape Kiwanda.....WOW!

Tomorrow is the Evergreen Air and Space Museum in McMinnville and I'll do a separate thread on that.

Gregg

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 10:45:46 PM by gkabbt »