Author Topic: Steady, Straight, WOT  (Read 60328 times)

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Re: Steady, Straight, WOT
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2017, 09:06:11 PM »
Mr. Shimstock, once trimmed, your canopy looks very similar to mine. Could I trouble you for a few dimensions of the polycarbonate?

John

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2017, 12:53:10 PM »
Mr. Shimstock, once trimmed, your canopy looks very similar to mine. Could I trouble you for a few dimensions of the polycarbonate?

John

What dimensions would you like?   The original bubble was about 4' x 6'.   I only used a little over half the length.  The widest point on the car is 24".
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline ggl205

« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2017, 09:13:24 AM »

John

What dimensions would you like?   The original bubble was about 4' x 6'.   I only used a little over half the length.  The widest point on the car is 24".

Let me get some measurements together and see if your canopy can be cut to fit. One measurement I do remember is 20" across the back. That is the widest part of my canopy.

John

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2018, 08:41:47 PM »
Well... It's been a while since I've updated this... it's been a fairly busy winter and the Lakester is starting to come together.  All the little things are getting checked off the list like where to mount the battery. Not where I originally intended but it fits in the body shell.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2018, 08:43:28 PM »
Also fit the firewall in place and added the extra tubes to the cage to keep me in should a run go poorly. 
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2018, 08:45:36 PM »
The base layers of the body are done as well.  The remainder of the work on this will have to wait until it's warm enough to leave the shop doors open.  Way too many fumes otherwise.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2018, 08:50:08 PM »
The original plans for the fresh air supply didn't work out.  Thinking about running a tube along the inside lower corner of the driver's compartment.  There's just enough room to clear my left heel.   
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2018, 11:03:08 PM »
It's been a while since I made and update.   I found places for all the "stuff" to fit... but... there is a high likelihood that I missed something.  I'll have to deal with that when it comes up.  Went through all the welds then it was off to get the chassis powder coated.   The chassis is back and looks good.  Now it's time to do the final fitting of the body and drilling the holes for the fasteners.   The current plan is to make the first pass at the ECTA event in Sept. 
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2018, 11:15:55 PM »
The original idea for the water/ice tanks used large diameter fuel caps.  They are big enough and readily available.  The more I thought about fuel ending up where water should be the less I liked the idea.  While a good crew would likely never make this mistake it had a chance and it wasn't sitting well with me.  So, while the chassis was out for paint I took the time make a pattern and cast a set of flapper style doors that are clearly marked for ice water.  Just need to finish the machining, add a little blue paint and a thumb screw to keep them closed. 
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2018, 11:55:09 PM »
Looking good there Marty, I like the nose ski.
  Sid.

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2018, 12:42:41 PM »
Thanks Sid.   It may cost me a tiny bit in aero but given the track condition lately I'm sure it will be nice feature to have.  Rather bounce off than dig in. 
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline ggl205

« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2018, 01:56:11 PM »
Thanks Sid.   It may cost me a tiny bit in aero but given the track condition lately I'm sure it will be nice feature to have.  Rather bounce off than dig in. 

Tell me about it. I had that very problem at 2017 WoS. It is a 1/4" thick aluminum plate belly pan from now on.

John

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2018, 02:15:46 PM »
I guess I wasn't the only one...   :|
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Happy Pappy

« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2018, 06:43:05 PM »
Gotta Ask... Powder Coating the Frame? My background is formula car and off road racing. Powder coating was always a no,no. Reason being it is great at hiding cracks, and makes for a tough time when comes to repair welding. I realize my comment is to late but I was just wondering what other felt about this.
BTW your Ice Water caps are just flat out bitchen! I'd buy one  :-D

Chris
Chris Campbell
2017 #203 G/GR El mirage record 150.771
2020 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 180.828
6/21 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 185.488
9/21 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 194.450

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2018, 07:39:50 PM »
Just remember that when fitting the driver control systems to have on  the full fire suit as they will restrict movements and reaching the safety devices etc. That includes the helmet and neck support as well as seat belt. The bail out at inspections are watched very carefully. I am sure others will make comments on this as well.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah