Author Topic: Steady, Straight, WOT  (Read 60317 times)

Offline Buickguy3

Re: Steady, Straight, WOT
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2016, 09:41:09 PM »
   A word of caution here. This story goes back 40 years to our drag racing days. We had the same idea. Spring loaded brake pads to back them off of the rotors. Worked great, well maybe not great, good. When I got to the top end I applied the brakes and there were'nt any. It seems that two calipers hold more fluid than one master cylinder can supply in one stroke and on the second application, one caliper applys first and the car goes that way. At over 100 mph that is a big surprise. [We only made one pass with them like that].
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2016, 01:15:36 PM »
Geeze Marty, I did not know you were working on this!?

Been kicking it around for a while.  Finally decided to bite the bullet and go for it.   
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2016, 01:17:36 PM »
   A word of caution here. This story goes back 40 years to our drag racing days. We had the same idea. Spring loaded brake pads to back them off of the rotors. Worked great, well maybe not great, good. When I got to the top end I applied the brakes and there were'nt any. It seems that two calipers hold more fluid than one master cylinder can supply in one stroke and on the second application, one caliper applys first and the car goes that way. At over 100 mph that is a big surprise. [We only made one pass with them like that].
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

You make some good points there.  Sounds like the pads may have been backed off too far.   I'll have to keep that in mind when/if I decide to take that path.   Thanks for the input.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2016, 08:24:10 PM »
Got the front axle mounting figured out and ready for final welding and machining.  It's starting to come together the way I expected.  That's always a good feeling.  Now just need to work through the dampers and get the right toe links.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2016, 08:27:45 PM »
Finally released from the build deck and flipped to weld all the underside joints.  So far it has stayed nice and straight.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2016, 08:31:36 PM »
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Hi Doug,

Been thinking about this some more.  If a spool is used instead of a diff it shouldn't matter if one brake comes on before the other.  The wheels are forced to run at the same speed.  The brake torque would be distributed the same way the input torque would be.  Maybe that's the key to making it work.  No diff.  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:33:11 PM by Mr. Schimstock »
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Pickle

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2016, 01:35:05 AM »
I was looking at your build and noticed the curved bars you used. I did the same on mine... what a pain those were! I also considered a spool for the rear end. I was told by many on this board, as well as most I talked to outside it, and the consensus was to run an open diff. The main reasoning given was that open is far more controllable at high speed with a loss of traction. Personally my logic told me a spool would be more stable but after thinking about it I was sold on an open diff. I have yet to run, so for me the jury is still out, and Im sure there will be may opinions on both sides.

I am also running rear drums only. I am sure they will not stop the car on there own, but thats what the chute is for right, heh.

By the way, I love the build. It looks great, I can wait to see it all come together.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2016, 12:32:04 PM »
...and if the chute fails to deploy?   :-o

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2016, 01:09:52 PM »
Our car can stop in time from about 200 with rear drums only -- of course it's a brick.  Open keeps you from incessantly measuring tires.  What do you do when it sits with one in the sun for hours?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2016, 09:43:23 PM »
Making some progress again.  The chassis is off the table and the front axle is machined for the king pins.  Now I can start working through the damper mounting and getting the track of the QC to match the front.  The idea I got from this board of using the cherry picker to pull the tubes from the bells worked very well. 
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2016, 11:05:26 PM »
The idea I got from this board of using the cherry picker to pull the tubes from the bells worked very well. 

That's really slick.  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2017, 05:47:34 PM »
Finally got back in the shop for some quality time.  Got the front suspension mocked up.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2017, 05:48:38 PM »
.... and the rear as well.  The spacer tubes are currently too small.  These will be replaced by larger diameter aluminum tubes in the future.  The steel is just what I had available at the time.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 05:55:11 PM by Mr. Schimstock »
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2017, 05:50:30 PM »
Started fabricating the chute tubes, fuel tank, and cooling box as well.  Can't wait to start working on the body.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2017, 05:53:11 PM »
Chute anchors through the tube and is good per the guys at Stroud.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 05:56:52 PM by Mr. Schimstock »
Sproing, crack, ouch!