Author Topic: Steady, Straight, WOT  (Read 60319 times)

Offline Mr. Schimstock

Steady, Straight, WOT
« on: February 17, 2016, 08:46:32 PM »
Back in 2013 I made my first visit to the salt. The wife and I packed up the old car, left the kids with Grandma, and headed west on what we considered a second honey moon (and a dream trip for me).  My trusty old red Chevy never missed a beat the whole way there and back to Wisconsin. 

While we walked the pits and watched the racers speed off to the horizon I felt the call.... an unmistakable draw... I NEED to do this.

That was it I was hooked.  For 2 years I've mulled the idea over.... how?... with what?... maybe a bike?... I like bikes but I'm not a "bike guy"... lakester's!... they are what get's my blood pumping, that and inline Buick eights.  The plan was set. 

I've lurked on this website for a while now.  Watching and learning from what others have tried and done.  I figured, to be fair, should share as least some of my successes and failures as well. 

A couple weeks ago armed with a '53 Roadmaster, an old quickchange, a pile of 1.5 and 1.75 tubing, and countless sketches I started to tack up the chassis.  I ran out of tubing to finish the cage but I think I'm off to a good start. I picked up the last bits of tubing I'll need for now and I'll be back at this weekend.   

The top and bottom rails and all the driver's cage tubes are 1.75x.125 DOM.  The brace tubes in the rear are 1.5x.125 DOM. 

The over all dimensions are 24" wide, 43" tall, and about 20' long.  I would have like to go lower but the engine choice was not going to allow it so I went as narrow as I thought I could handle.   

I'm excited and, believe it or not, have the full support of my wife.  She is actually pushing me to do it... I'm a lucky man!

Comment and suggestions are welcome.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Steady, Straight, WOT
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 08:52:35 PM »
I'm ignorant on lakesters but I don't see anything wrong so far.  I do know that the support of a wife is invaluable !!!  I've been lucky in that respect too.  And I know it makes life and racing a pleasure.  Good luck with the build and don't forget to hug your wife every night.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 01:08:07 AM »
You've got the fever and there's nothing wrong with a Buick straight 8!!!!
Just ask Buick Guy3. Nice build brother. I wish you all the best and like the advice I got
overkill and patience are your friend. :cheers:
Mike.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 01:20:39 AM »
Wasn't there a straight 8 tank with some history up for sale a while back?
  Sid.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 07:30:48 AM »
Just ask Buick Guy3. Nice build brother. I wish you all the best and like the advice I got
Mike.

Absolutely get in touch with someone who has built up a Buick straight 8.     Their advice will prevent many pitfalls and they will be able to give you an idea of what is available and what will need to be custom.    Start looking for a shop willing to flow test and dyno your project now, as there won't be many interested.    And you might want to model the potential performance of your build.    It will save you some headaches down the road.

Older style engines really respond to applications of "current technology", IF, it is applied correctly.

Good luck on what looks to be a neat project.

Also, don't take your wife for granted, she is in the minority and is definitely a "keeper".

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 09:37:45 AM »
Mike and Gary did a LOT of development work on the Buford a few years back -

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4974.0.html

It's a good read and a good discussion regarding the attributes and foibles of the Buick, and this thread concentrates on setting up EFI and testing.  It's been a long time since anybody went through this thread, and while the end result was less than they had hoped for, there's much to learn here.

SO GLAD to see another Lakester coming out of Wisconsin!  I was just in Berlin, WI, two weeks ago.

One quick thought - I see you're running disc brakes.  Consider changing out to drums.  You can back the shoes off, and they won't hang up or drag like discs are wont to do.  Turn the power into speed, not heat.

The chute is going to do most of the stopping, anyway.

TO SUPPORTIVE WISCONSIN RACING WIVES!   :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 05:43:51 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 10:45:14 AM »
Check www.teambuick.com .  They have a section on st8 engines.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 11:04:35 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 01:14:28 PM »
Mike and Gary did a LOT of development work on the Buford a few years back -

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4974.0.html

It's a good read and a good discussion regarding the attributes and foibles of the Buick, and this thread concentrates on setting up EFI and testing.  It's been a long time since anybody went through this thread, and while the end result was less than they had hoped for, there's much to learn here.

SO GLAD to see another Lakester coming out of Wisconsin!  I was just in Berlin, WI, two weeks ago.

One quick thought - I see you're running disc brakes.  Consider changing out to drums.  You can back the shoes off, and they won't hang up or drag like discs are wont to do.  Turn the power into speed, not heat.

The chute is going to do most of the stopping, anyway.

TO SUPPORTIVE WISCONSIN RACING WIVES!   :cheers:

I like that idea.  The discs came on the axle and I haven't given them much thought yet.  Ultimately the drums might package in the wheels better and provide less drag.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 05:44:16 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 01:18:35 PM »
Mike.

Absolutely get in touch with someone who has built up a Buick straight 8.     Their advice will prevent many pitfalls and they will be able to give you an idea of what is available and what will need to be custom.    Start looking for a shop willing to flow test and dyno your project now, as there won't be many interested.    And you might want to model the potential performance of your build.    It will save you some headaches down the road.

Older style engines really respond to applications of "current technology", IF, it is applied correctly.

Good luck on what looks to be a neat project.

Also, don't take your wife for granted, she is in the minority and is definitely a "keeper".

:cheers:
Fordboy

The work on the engine will come later, quite possibly next winter.   I figure I need to get the bulk of the car done before I work on the power plant.  I have considered, just for the hell of it, to see what it will do with basically the stock motor.  Might be an interesting baseline.  Either way, I've got a ways to go before I need to make that decision.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 03:39:29 PM »
Looking great!
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 10:23:56 PM »
It's been suggested that I could maybe lower the overall height a little more.  After looking at I think that might be possible and still leave enough room for the intake and have a good enough view.

I've looked through the rule book and it covers the helmet clearance to the side but doesn't address the top.  Any suggestions regarding what's worked for you? 

2" seams like a reasonable starting point to me.  The only issue I see with running it too close is getting in/out of the seat and not having it so close that it contacts the helmet if things go poorly. 
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 07:04:25 PM »
Making more progress.  There are still a handful of tubes to fit but it getting really close to being ready for final weld. 
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 07:07:38 PM »
After I get the final tubes tacked in place I'll tackle building and mounting the front axle.  Planning on using a similar mounting strategy as the rear axle.  1.75 OD by 0.75 ID should be plenty stout for the axle tube.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 07:50:52 PM »
Couple more tubes and the front bulkhead fitted and tacked.  The front bulkhead plate is 3/8" thick and will support the peddle assembly.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 08:05:23 PM »
Very nice work. When I built my Lakester frame fitting all the needed stuff became an endless challenge. The water tank, fuel tank, fire bottles, battery and so much more needed to be packaged inside what was left after the driver and engine positions were locked in. Packaging will be where you will spend  a lot of time. But as you know the final results will be worth the effort.  :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"