Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Dakin Engineering

Re: EPA
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 10:48:41 AM »
It would be nice to get that kind of support for STS
The difference here being this is where the money is, if you want to get people moving, reach into their pocket.
  Sid.

I am sure impressed with the weight SEMA can bring to bear.
What is keeping SEMA from helping Bonneville?

A petition costs nothing and racers always need parts.
Is there a negative impact to SEMA concerning Bonneville?
Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 12:06:46 PM »
Sam, it's numbers - you'll get more regular contestants on any three or four drag strips or dirt tracks on any given summer weekend than show up to compete at Bonneville all year.

WE think it's important - but in the broad spectrum of motorsports, we're a gnat on a pimple.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 03:02:16 PM »
Yeah, maybe, Chris, but where's that pimple -- on a butt or a nipple?  Things might not be as bad as you think. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 03:44:48 PM »
lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 05:20:09 PM »
Yeah, maybe, Chris, but where's that pimple -- on a butt or a nipple?  Things might not be as bad as you think. :-D

hahahahaha....
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 05:41:33 PM »
Sam, it's numbers - you'll get more regular contestants on any three or four drag strips or dirt tracks on any given summer weekend than show up to compete at Bonneville all year.

WE think it's important - but in the broad spectrum of motorsports, we're a gnat on a pimple.

Well... and the sport only has itself to blame for that.  Especially true of the drag strips of the nation, but also of the road courses and now even circle tracks as of late, they offer better options for entry level racing.  There is one single event all year that welcomes street legal cars.  The wrest of the LSR community poo poos the very thought of someone driving to an event, racing, and then driving home.  From what I can tell at a few levels the SCTA is almost purposefully stand off-ish to new comers.  It's a freakin' great sport, and it deserves to go on, but I don't know if i CAN go on without making itself more accessible to the totally clueless (such as myself).  Also, The NHRA, IHRA and SCCA from what I can tell do a damn site better job and promoting their sport.  Now true, those events have the advantage of not holding their events out in BFE.  The first step in getting more people interested in bonneville is arranging more events in urban areas (or suburban areas) on air fields.  1 mile and half mile events for barely modified street legal vehicles held once a month in every state would be a HUGE help.  Get people to show up for those, more often, have 4 to 6 events for street legal vehicles per year out on the salt and out el mirage and you'll see numbers come up and come up fast.

Don't take this the wrong way, but honestly, dealing with the SCTA and the way it runs races makes it all seem too serious and intimidating on the surface of it.  It's off putting.  Even if one puts those feelings asside, there isn't much of a chance for anyone to experiance "the way things really are."  So people scratch the surface, get intimidated, and piss off back to their local drag strip.  If there were more events at air strips where people had more chance to be exposed to the world, those people would more than likely stick it out and participate.  It's why the ECTA is experiencing so much growth.

With those conditions in place, getting people behind your cause is going to more than just an uphill battle, it's going to be uphill, on mud, in a hurricane.  It's gonna suck.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline RichFox

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016, 05:49:34 PM »
Lots more mile or mile and a half events all over the country are a great idea. I'm all for it. Actually there are quite a few now. Have you looked into Mojave? Or the Silver State events? And then don't forget what the SC in SCTA stand for. Not South Carolina.

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 06:48:11 PM »
Lots more mile or mile and a half events all over the country are a great idea. I'm all for it. Actually there are quite a few now. Have you looked into Mojave? Or the Silver State events? And then don't forget what the SC in SCTA stand for. Not South Carolina.

I haven't and it's because for whatever reason the salt holds a special attraction to me.  Of course that also leaves me with the learning to drink from the fire hose problem.  I'll look into them, I'm not sure what they offer for street legal vehicles.  Again... REALLY bad promotion of events.

As far as what the SC stands for, I'm aware.  I'm trying hard not to pigeon hole them because their from California. :P  In any case I think the SCTA presents themselves in a way that's a problem for a lot of hot rodders, as well as sets standards for vehicles that aren't very realistic for the every day man.  If someone doesn't have a horse in the race they don't care.  If someone actively stops them from having a horse in the race they are going to care even less.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 06:51:16 PM »
Take the Dodge to Daytona.

NASCAR is so much more friendly.  Goodbye and Good Luck!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 06:59:03 PM »
Take the Dodge to Daytona.

NASCAR is so much more friendly.  Goodbye and Good Luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1_WZqxRHbM

It might not be daytona, but events like this are popping up all over in the midwest and east coast and are growing in popularity.  It might not be daytona, but it's there.

Is that what you want for the salt flats?  To be an exclusive club only for elite vehicles with big name sponsors and millions to toss around on a single event?  It won't survive that.  The sport and the place will be a thing of the past under those expectations.  Your attitude and ones like yours are the problem.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 07:09:20 PM »
No -- we want to put a 15-mile salt bed in every state for weekend races -- hoping to attract newcomers to tell us how to run our association to encompass outdated equipment (not that we don't have vintage classes).

The SCTA rules are made by the participants -- and have been for years.  They really need some new blood to tell them how to turn their business around -- speaking from no or very little experience.

Actually to the SCTA would be doing just fine if not for bad weather conditions and salt depletion.  If you think salt is in your blood and can't work with the tried and true purveyors, you're and your like are welcome to organize and hold your own events. 

I can't think of a thing that's stopping you.  But bitch-ing about the SCTA without even entering one of their events, well -- gee whiz -- you expect the welcome mat or what.  Big hat, no cattle. 

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 07:14:41 PM »
"To be an exclusive club only for elite vehicles with big name sponsors and millions to toss around on a single event?"

This quote shows how little you know about Bonneville SpeedWeek.  550+ entries with real sponsorship?  Like "Joe's Plumbing Supply" sponsors a 125cc bike?

Lots of working stiffs that can afford only one event a year.  And it's worked for years.  Ask the guy from the east coast how much of his expendable income it costs to attend SpeedWeek.  And why would he do it year after year.

I'm thinking the "Burning Man" might be more up your alley.

Offline salt27

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2016, 07:25:20 PM »
Ben,
     Judging by your previous statements I suspect that you have not actually been to any of the events at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

From my experience the number of participants is not much of an issue and the organizers are very helpful.

I started as a spectator then helped on crews, did the 130 and 150 club and finally built something to run in an official class.

It's not that hard and the landracing people are the most helpful in any racing event I've ever been involved in.

I would suggest you go to an event before passing judgment or building a race vehicle to see if this is truly what you want to do.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2016, 07:42:20 PM »
The idea that LSR is not attracting new participants is ludicrous. Compared to years ago when there would be maybe 110-120 entrants for the one meet a year. All in a single line for the single course. Both short and long course cars and bikes. Often not starting runs until noon or so after record runs. Now you have 6 meets for cars and bikes, scheduled to run, weather permitting. Four courses for some meets. And all this without BNI or anyone else soliciting entrants. LSR is run by participants for participants. Has this growth affected me? Yes. Rooms are harder to get and cost a lot more. So while you were pursuing your many other interests involving kids and dogs, The hobby has grown quite nicely. If you want something that may change their rules to accommodate your car, Have you looked into the 24 hours of lemons?