Author Topic: Tubing or round anvil micrometer  (Read 4839 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Tubing or round anvil micrometer
« on: February 10, 2016, 09:32:33 AM »
Does anyone want to sell a tubing or round anvil micrometer that reads to the nearest .0001 inches?  It will be used to measure the thickness of crank and rod bearing shells so a reach from 0 to 1/4 inches is OK.  I am willing to pay for a first world quality tool.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Tubing or round anvil micrometer
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 09:56:22 AM »
Wobbly, I have found that an inexpensive way to go is using a ball mic attachment. I have regular ball & tube mic's but the ball attachment is quick & very accurate. 
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 10:25:33 AM »
I am willing to pay for a first world quality tool.

I don't know who to credit it to, but you're wise to adhere to the adage, "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools".   

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline noboD

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 10:28:05 AM »
Good suggestion Dynoroom. I have both and find the attachment the easiest. That way the mic you are most familiar with the feel of is being used.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 01:14:36 PM »
I use one of these. They come with a round anvil (carbide rod) as well for measuring tubing or internal radii. Swapping the anvil usually does not change the zero. Starrett is tough to beat in terms of quality too.

Here is a link showing the various operations. Was a good purchase I made many years ago. Don't use it often but when needed I am glad I have it.
http://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/Special-Fuction-Microme/Micrometers/Precision-Hand-Tools/Precision-Measuring-Tools/220XFL-1
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:16:37 PM by bbarn »
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline jdincau

Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 07:25:03 PM »
Or in a pinch you can put a clean wrist pin in a vice and lay the bearing insert over the pin and mic both of them and subtract the pin dia.
Works as long as the pin is clean and has no scores, and the bearing is new.

Not quite as handy as the accessory ball anvil but will get the job done if all else fails.
Down side of using a pin is it is a line contact instead of a point contact so you have to be sure it is not at a slight angle or sitting on a minor blemish on the bearing.

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 09:42:58 PM »
we use the ball attatchment at work all the time, and for measurement accuracies for less than .001"  It works for us.  We also tend not to have mic's that read in .0001 increments... instead we carefully callibrate our mics and then interpolate the numbers.  It'll get you within .0002" with some practice.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 01:22:42 AM »
Thanks for all of the advice and I read everything.  What I did was to order a Mitutoyo 115-313 tubing mike.  It has a ball ended rod type anvil that can fit into all sorts of holes, nooks, and crannies.  This is something I need often so the $135 purchase price is worth it.  The Starrett mics needed to be special ordered with the .0001 vernier so that made the Mitutoyo clamp look good.  The word "clamp" comes from my past.  One of my kids was doing an art project and they clamped everything together with my micrometers while the glue dried.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 08:52:22 AM »
Thanks for all of the advice and I read everything.  What I did was to order a Mitutoyo 115-313 tubing mike.  It has a ball ended rod type anvil that can fit into all sorts of holes, nooks, and crannies.  This is something I need often so the $135 purchase price is worth it.  The Starrett mics needed to be special ordered with the .0001 vernier so that made the Mitutoyo clamp look good.  The word "clamp" comes from my past.  One of my kids was doing an art project and they clamped everything together with my micrometers while the glue dried.

I both cried and laughed a little at that. It's hard on the equipment but sure does make an endearing family story.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 03:41:28 PM »

Be careful they might be used as an adjustable wrench !      :-D
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 08:19:53 PM »
Little kids are cute enough to get away with doing things like that.  It is hard to get mad at them.

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 09:12:52 PM »
Little kids are cute enough to get away with doing things like that.  It is hard to get mad at them.

My first machinist job, there was a guy there that would wait for the head honchos to start a tour, and pull out his "mench."  It was a broken 1-2 OD mic.  As people were comming by he would pretend to use it as a wrench, then pretend to take a measurement with it.  Management hated that crap. :D
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline aircap

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 12:24:27 AM »
My first machinist job, there was a guy there that would wait for the head honchos to start a tour, and pull out his "mench."  It was a broken 1-2 OD mic.  As people were comming by he would pretend to use it as a wrench, then pretend to take a measurement with it.  Management hated that crap. :D

I had a 1 inch Mitutoyo mic with the threads stripped on the barrel. Put in on the toolbox lid, open when the bosses walked by and the thing came apart into 2 pieces. Or borrow one from a pal, and then toss the Mitutoyo back to him a little short. As he dived for the tool, his eyes would bug out when the mic came apart. Big fun!
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 12:57:42 PM »
One of my early machinists jobs required certifying all our measuring tools before every job! [Nuclear sub fittings!] One of our lathe hands gently tossed a 1" mike on his wooden topped work bench and the "older" German shop foreman walked him out the door!  :-o :cry:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz