Author Topic: AN fittings on hardline  (Read 12634 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: AN fittings on hardline
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 07:35:42 PM »
Glad you liked their fittings; $ but nice quality.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 08:03:44 PM »
Glad you liked their fittings; $ but nice quality.

well, given I don't own any AN fittings, nor any tools for them, it's not like I'm re-investing in a new system.  It's also not like there will be a lot of fittings on the car.  I think for a few hundred dollars I could get myself setup to deal with them and any issues that may come up on the salt, that includes keeping some hardware to go from them to AN fittings around.  The real deal sealer was the way they treated me.  Mr. nobody, from the street, gave me all the information I could use, let me look around the facility, hooked me up with plenty of print literature and the electronic catalog.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline deucemac

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 03:59:57 AM »
AN and MS fittings really are the same thing. AN stands for Army Navy and MS stands for Military Standard.  The name change was several years ago and some of us still use AN to identify the fittings

Offline RichFox

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 11:06:03 AM »
Perhaps. But the MS fittings that i am familiar with are compression fittings. They look very much the same as AN when assembled. And have the same thread. Just attach to the tubing without a flare.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 02:43:49 PM »
It is bad enough when you go into the "fittings" store and come out with a small bag of a few AN fittings that you need and you have spent $100, wait till you come out of the Swag Lok store! Check you bank account before entering. Probably the very best tubing fitting you can buy but EXPENSIVE!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 05:37:19 PM »
Swage loc are very expensive but very good. I used SS ones in industrial applications under severe conditions and never had a problem.

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 06:58:43 PM »
Here is the cost break down as I see it.  To make a junction with an fittings I need the fitting in the carb, npt to 6-AN, and the Ferrell and nut on the tubing.  $2.50 for the npt to AN fitting, $2 fitting and $2 for the tube nut.  $4.50 to make the junction plus time spent flaring tubing.  With Swagelok the npt to 3/8 tube is $5.  No time spent flaring.  It's the same cost nearly.  What's my time worth?
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 10:38:30 PM »
With the friendly & helpful reception you received, why not ask Swagelock for sponsorship?

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 08:50:01 AM »
With the friendly & helpful reception you received, why not ask Swagelock for sponsorship?

Because my cars total lack of speed and utterly repulsive looks?  Nobody with any sense would sponsor it... Maybe save for krylon...
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 10:41:51 AM »
Now, now, don't go putting down your junk.  A marketing team might find wondrous stuff on which to use their product on your Plymouth, so don't give up without at least hinting that you'd be happy to wear their sticker.

Stranger things have happened.  Dressed in leathers and on the race bike -- I appeared in a Nikon ad and they paid me $$.  Lots of us have managed to wrangle a buck or three out of someone, so really -- keep you eyes on the ground and your nose the the sky and don't look up at waterfalls. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 07:38:37 PM »
Now, now, don't go putting down your junk.  A marketing team might find wondrous stuff on which to use their product on your Plymouth, so don't give up without at least hinting that you'd be happy to wear their sticker.

Stranger things have happened.  Dressed in leathers and on the race bike -- I appeared in a Nikon ad and they paid me $$.  Lots of us have managed to wrangle a buck or three out of someone, so really -- keep you eyes on the ground and your nose the the sky and don't look up at waterfalls. :roll:

Plymouth!?  What kind of good for nothing so and so do you take me for?   

I don't know... I'm really not the kind of person to even ask.  It would be nice but then your kind of representing some one and something and that's an issue.  I don't think my heap is really a good representation of lsr, would make you guys look bad and maybe spoil things for someone that takes this all far more seriously than I ever will.  Not to mention, I can't imagine my rust bucket doing swagelok's image any favors.

If they offer anything I sure won't say no but... It's like when an 18 or 19 year old offers up fully free sex with my old, tired, going grey ass.  I know damn well I should say no, but I never do.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 09:14:12 AM »
Polyhead said:   "It's like when an 18 or 19 year old offers up fully free sex with my old, tired, going grey Acura.  I know Dodge well I should say no, but I never do."

Yeah, I know whatcha mean.  Even with Nancy on my arm I have the same problem all the time.  It must be the sheer animal magnetism that you and I exude, hey? :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 06:54:41 PM »
"animal magnetism"?

Does this mean you're attracted to animals?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2016, 10:49:59 AM »
Stan, yes -- that's just what it means.  Thanks for letting the rest of the folks here know, too. :-)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline ngrperformance

• New folks
  • NGR Performance
    • NGR Performance
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2023, 05:39:23 PM »
When it comes to using AN fittings on hard lines, both flaring and compression fittings are common methods, and each has its pros and cons.

Flaring:

Pros:
Provides a reliable and strong connection.
Can be considered a traditional method, widely used and accepted.
Cons:
Requires a double flaring tool, which may take some practice to use correctly.
If not done properly, there is a risk of the flare splitting or leaking.
Compression Fittings:

Pros:
Generally easier and quicker to install.
No need for a flaring tool.
Cons:
Some enthusiasts and professionals may prefer flaring for critical applications like fuel lines due to the perceived reliability.
For a fuel system, especially one that involves high-pressure situations, some people may lean towards flaring for the added security and strength of the connection. However, many modern compression fittings are designed to handle high-pressure applications and can provide a reliable seal.