Author Topic: Speed Demon Wind Tunnel Test  (Read 46112 times)

Offline racergeo

Re: Speed Demon Wind Tunnel Test
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2018, 06:09:14 PM »
  I was standing about 5 ft. from Ron Main as he was expounding on the lack of correct info on aero as it applies to objects travailing at high speed next to the ground. I was in the Speed Demon pit as they were performing an engine change. Ron uses some very colorful language that makes for a good listen. I heard him proclaim that people were using obsolete info in there areo understanding as it applies to LSR. It seems that short of winning the Lotto the best thing a person of limited means could do is to copy the design of Nebulous, Poteet, Eric or even a car with the exhaust routed down the sides. Jack says his cars go under the air. Who can argue with any of these guys results? Unless your name is Rex just be a copy cat and get building....

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2018, 03:59:24 PM »
Not really sure how to take that comment: "Unless your name is Rex just be a copy cat and get building...." but I will take it as a complement! Actually there is quite a bit of data regarding aero objects moving close to the ground you just have to find them and then see how they apply to what ever you are working on. The laws of physics i.e. aerodynamics, apply to everyone and everywhere you just have to figure out which ones and how they pertain to your specific project.

Flat bottom cars are built because they are much easier to build than a round bottom car, more room for "stuff" and you only need to build half of the body!

Rex

Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2018, 04:57:56 PM »
I think that was a compliment. :cheers:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2018, 05:10:15 PM »
Imagine how much faster the Nebulous cars would go if they just had a round bottom!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2018, 05:34:52 PM »
Yeah. Just think.  :roll:
Wayno

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2018, 12:57:05 PM »
What is the shape of the worlds fastest wheel driven car? (503 mph) Hint, not flat bottom.

Rex
Rex

Offline RichFox

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2018, 02:50:38 PM »
What is the horsepower difference between Turbinator and Neb 3? How fast would Neb 3 go with that kind of power? Can we extrapolate comparative efficiency by comparing speed and power? 

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2018, 02:55:43 PM »
I expect you'll run into trouble following that line of wondering, Rich.  If nothing else -- the 2WD/4WD difference makes projecting even more difficult (or so I should think).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2018, 03:25:24 PM »
 It is my not so humble opinion that fighting over who has the best aero (from a drag perspective) is a waste of time and this includes flat or round bottoms.  All of these cars have very low drag.  The key to 400 plus cars going fast is how well the car works.  Can the driver stay on the gas?  Does the car hook up? Aero stability is more important than aero drag.  I have run the numbers on my car over and over.  I benefit more from a weight loss than any conceivable amount of drag reduction.  I could spend more money than I will ever have and probably not make enough of a drag reduction to make a "significant" amount of extra speed.  If you look at the speeds of Jack's car and my car this year,  There is no doubt that cars are going faster on less power than ever.  And our cars are drastically different.  My platform was built with bigger engines in mind down the road with much more hp. 

Offline RichFox

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2018, 06:03:56 PM »
I expect you'll run into trouble following that line of wondering, Rich.  If nothing else -- the 2WD/4WD difference makes projecting even more difficult (or so I should think).
And that was my point. I didn't read the previous part of the thread, so I am not really sure about what it is I am commenting on. But it seemed that the reference to the Nebulous 3 car and Turbinator was apples to oranges.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2018, 06:07:12 PM »
I haven't researched but didn't George go faster in the old car?.

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2018, 01:24:30 PM »
The other side is of course the Flashpoint guys did qualify at over 450 at WOS and that is the most slab sided, flat bottomed car around that is until they knocked all of the corners off of it! Rick Yacoucci is real close to 400 with his E blown fuel motor in one of Jacks cars and Eddy is so right about aero stability and weight. That is the great thing about racing at Bonneville, so many answers to the question of "How do I go fast?" I also think that the Vesco car probably has the most horse power and it's engine is a much better design to provide high horse power over sustained amounts of time.

Rex
Rex

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2018, 05:09:15 PM »
To Chop shops point 
When you start trying to go the speeds they are in its about Drag TE, Time and how much weight you are trying to MOVE to a higher speed
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline racergeo

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2018, 10:52:28 PM »
  As usual Rex has summed everything up in one paragraph. Now we can move on. :lol: By the way, for reasons that Rex mentioned previously, streamliners are often compromised by packaging and trailer length considerations.When I started coming to Bonneville there were 3 fast cars. Nolan White, Al Teig  and Tom Burkland. Now there are many and more in the works. So much diversity, unreal and cool. No cookie cutters in LSR.
  In all seriousness, there is one special construction category car that is no compromise. It is round with no bubble for a roll cage, it is not unnecessarily long,with axle fairings and as narrow of tires as possible I cannot see how it could be improved upon. It has got to have the lowest CD and frontal area that an open wheel car can achieve. Considering who owns it what would you expect. :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2018, 12:04:26 AM »
  As usual Rex has summed everything up in one paragraph. Now we can move on. :lol: By the way, for reasons that Rex mentioned previously, streamliners are often compromised by packaging and trailer length considerations.When I started coming to Bonneville there were 3 fast cars. Nolan White, Al Teig  and Tom Burkland. Now there are many and more in the works. So much diversity, unreal and cool. No cookie cutters in LSR.
  In all seriousness, there is one special construction category car that is no compromise. It is round with no bubble for a roll cage, it is not unnecessarily long,with axle fairings and as narrow of tires as possible I cannot see how it could be improved upon. It has got to have the lowest CD and frontal area that an open wheel car can achieve. Considering who owns it what would you expect. :cheers:

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :cheers: