Author Topic: New Governing body for the fastest wheeldriven cars and bikes?  (Read 27233 times)

Online TrickyDicky

Re: New Governing body for the fastest wheeldriven cars and bikes?
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2016, 07:38:54 PM »
So Craig Breedlove is just a chump then?  Since he asked the FIA to change their rules just for him. 

Isn't the point that the FIA didn't recognise Breedlove's three-wheeled SoA records so he then turned to the FIM?

And the first thrust-powered record recognised by the FIA was Art Arfons at the end of 1964?

Do not change history - Tom Green in Walt Arfons' car got to be the first, even if it was only for 3 days.

Trying to understand history rather than change it.  :-)

From what I have read it appears that the FIA did not recognise/ratify several of the jet powered records in 1963-4 including Tom Green and Art Arfons at the beginning of October 1964. It was only Art Arfons 27 October speed that was recognised. But this is a very confusing period of FIA history so I could easily be wrong.

Online TrickyDicky

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2016, 07:52:28 PM »
However it is easy to understand when there are two separate governing bodies involved. The FIM have always protected two and three wheeled sport (1909) and the FIA has (eventually) been there for the four or more wheeled folk (1898, but now 1935 rules).

Probably not wise for me to try to correct Malcolm, but 'Pedant' is my middle name ...

My notes suggest that the earliest records (1898-1904) were under the authority of the ACF. And yes 'F' is France. The AIACR was formed in 1904 (and included the USA) but didn't define rules for land speed records until 1908. The FIA did not come into existence until October 1946, but I'm not sure whether this was regarded as a new organisation or simply the AIACR renamed.

As for the FIM it was originally the FICM (also formed in 1904) and became the FIM in 1949. I am less sure of the details of its history though.

The FIM also done some changes.....the biggest was when they frozen the most of the records....their was so much confusion with the different kind of classes and configuration that they simple done a "cut"....some of the records was still the benchmark....other can't be broken anymore....because the category is now a new one with more or less different rules...so their are now records to the old and the new rules.....

hope this helps to get a better understanding for the "regulators" of the speed records

Thomas, is there a list of the records frozen in 1979 available anywhere?

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2016, 06:02:21 AM »
Here some answers:

1. thrust power records....as I wrote before in my long note about FIA and FIM....in 1963 the FIM accept the SoA Three Wheeler record, albeit there was no class or category....
   the rival between FIM and FIA created the strange situation.....Tom Green's record was official certified by the FIA as a record (I visit Tom at his home end of the 90's in Schaumburg/Il), also the first record from Art Arfons three days later......more strange was than, when the FIA also certified the SoA Three Wheeler record from Craig Breedlove...
this didn't make sense....where is the fourth wheel....the steering wheel....the FIA turned everything upside down just to have the fastest vehicle on earth in his organization....

this to the rival between this two...

2. FIM, last year the FIM created a new website....before I tried to find information in the old one....there was for a while a list which showed the old (frozen) and the new records....
    now the old website is gone....I got the rights from the FIM to go through the whole (new) website, but I couldn't find nothing - honestly....this website is extremely confusing if you try to find something...just to find a rule it can became a disaster....no idea what they thinking.....
Anyway....somewhere in my archive I kept one of this "mixed" list....also I saw two years ago at the Retro Classics at an antic book dealer a copy of an FIM record list book which was from the time when they done the change...unfortunately the prize he asked for was out of my range I could afford......I'm not Bill Gates...
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)