Author Topic: New Governing body for the fastest wheeldriven cars and bikes?  (Read 27317 times)

Offline tortoise

Re: New Governing body for the fastest wheeldriven cars and bikes?
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2016, 03:37:35 PM »
So let's see if I understand this as far as the "measured mile" being a moving target and adding an aspect of safety.

I have a car that can go faster than anything ever built before. I have a course with 10 miles of good, hard, flat ground. At one end of the course is another 20 miles of flat, but soft or not so good ground. At the other end of the 10 miles is a sheer rock face with a public road running along the bottom. I can find no other practical course at this time. Also, my car can "safely" run up to top speed in 7 miles, and stop in 2 as long as nothing goes wrong.

With the current requirements there is no way that I can possibly make a safe return run, because I have no emergency run out area. I have all the room in the world to run in the direction away from the cliff, however. I can make one down run, tow back to the start line, and make another run to backup and verify the performance, but it won't count under FIA or FIM rules because they require runs in opposite directions over the same measured mile.

This means that given the performance parameters of my theoretical car (7 miles to accelerate, one mile trap, and then sufficient emergency run out room to stop) I would need to find a course that is at least 15 miles of good surface. The new organization's rules make it possible to run on a 10 mile course vs 15. The extra time allows for a tow back to the start line and safe preparation for the backup run. Seems like positive things to me.  :cheers:

I know some folks are going to have hurt feelings because they feel like their toes are getting stepped on and their kingdoms are being challenged, but really, that's a constant progression of things in the world. Fight the status quo, change it, or go around it and let it catch up. The sun comes up tomorrow and we try again.  :-D

You're mixing together two questions.  New rules could allow two runs over the same course in the same direction, but still have a pre-defined virtual speed trap, rather than just calling the fastest mile the trap. 

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2016, 04:54:05 PM »
I suspect that the worlds fastest crash by Arfons back in the day, which was caused by a burned bearing that siezed, might not have happened if he didn't have to worry about the one hour time constraint. I really don't know if it happened on the down run or the return run but if it was on the return run, shame on the rule! I cannot speak for the other cars but the rotation of the wheels at 800 MPH will be 12,500 on the nose wheel, 15,000 on the mid wheels and 8000 on the rear wheels. Inspection of the wheels and the bearings will be absolutley necessary after each run. Reloading the chutes and arming the charges, refilling the brake cooling system, refueling the car, repositioning the course marshalls, repositioning the fire and parametic folks, uploading the run data to the cloud and analyzing the results then changing my shorts just might take more than one hour. I vote for sunup to sundown for the two timed runs.
Ed

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 07:25:36 PM »
"This means that given the performance parameters of my theoretical car (7 miles to accelerate, one mile trap, and then sufficient emergency run out room to stop) I would need to find a course that is at least 15 miles of good surface."

. . . or build the car so that it can reach maximum speed in, say, 4 miles.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 07:30:31 PM »
You've built a vehicle that you say you can't run within the existing rules that everybody else has run on, so now you want to change the rules to suit your situation! Now you wonder why you're not getting much love out here!
  Sid.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2016, 08:23:43 PM »
How long a track did Don Vesco have when he went 458?

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2016, 08:38:58 PM »
"This means that given the performance parameters of my theoretical car (7 miles to accelerate, one mile trap, and then sufficient emergency run out room to stop) I would need to find a course that is at least 15 miles of good surface."

. . . or build the car so that it can reach maximum speed in, say, 4 miles.

In the scenario that I described it still couldn't be run safely, due to the road and cliff at one end of the course eliminating any possible safe run out area in the event of a failure of the stopping systems.
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2016, 10:02:57 PM »
You've built a vehicle that you say you can't run within the existing rules that everybody else has run on, so now you want to change the rules to suit your situation! Now you wonder why you're not getting much love out here!
  Sid.

That smells of sour grapes.  He wants to do something different, and do something by his own standards.  I don't see why that's such a big problem.  You're one of those people that get angry when someone colors outside the lines huh?
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2016, 10:54:27 PM »
I sort of like the idea of having a finite finish line even when using GPS measuring equipment. That way the two run average is measured on the same mile. This eliminates any performance advantage over old timing style. Records set in this fashion will carry more weight just because it is closer to the conventional way. When you think about it, when we set up our courses, we will calculate a maximum distance we need for shut down and install some course markers for a finish line anyhow. The GPS numbers for that spot can be recorded before any runs happen. The mile could just be measured from that spot back via GPS. We will almost always charge hard to the finish line anyhow so it is sort of a mute point. As long as course surveys within the minimum specified elevation drop, there will not be much if any performance advantage from the convention timing equipment.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2016, 11:21:45 PM »
  Sid.

That smells of sour grapes.  He wants to do something different, and do something by his own standards.  I don't see why that's such a big problem.  You're one of those people that get angry when someone colors outside the lines huh?

How the hell does that smell of sour grapes??
Hypothetically you hold an FIA world record that you set within the internationally accepted rules including the one hour window. Now somebody has claimed to have broken your world record but they did one run at 7am in the morning, spent all day working on their machine & made another run at 7pm & you think this is ok?
It's called an even playing field but you are suggesting that moving the goal line 25ft closer to the center for your team because they can't run that far but they want to win the superbowl, is "no big problem".
  Sid.

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2016, 11:43:13 PM »
Well then, we should play the superbowl in the same uniforms as they did in the very first one. All the FIA timing should be done with stop watches. All aviation records should only be done with propeller driven aircraft. In order to level the playing field, all vehicles will be built and designed on a maximum investment of $1000. Drivers wear white coveralls and a fibre helmet with a leather chin strap. Scrap those onboard data gathering devices (race paks) and ?????
Ed

Offline bbarn

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2016, 08:54:08 AM »
Well then, we should play the superbowl in the same uniforms as they did in the very first one. All the FIA timing should be done with stop watches. All aviation records should only be done with propeller driven aircraft. In order to level the playing field, all vehicles will be built and designed on a maximum investment of $1000. Drivers wear white coveralls and a fibre helmet with a leather chin strap. Scrap those onboard data gathering devices (race paks) and ?????

What do you think the SFI rating is on that jacket? lol
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2016, 09:07:15 AM »
  Sid.

How the hell does that smell of sour grapes??
Hypothetically you hold an FIA world record that you set within the internationally accepted rules including the one hour window. Now somebody has claimed to have broken your world record but they did one run at 7am in the morning, spent all day working on their machine & made another run at 7pm & you think this is ok?
It's called an even playing field but you are suggesting that moving the goal line 25ft closer to the center for your team because they can't run that far but they want to win the superbowl, is "no big problem".
  Sid.

So Craig Breedlove is just a chump then?  Since he asked the FIA to change their rules just for him. 
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2016, 09:10:04 AM »

What do you think the SFI rating is on that jacket? lol

that's SFI 0-5H17 
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2016, 09:58:20 AM »

Maybe it's time to mention that before 1928 the turn around time was 1/2 hour...

That being said, I find it ridiculous that the motorcycles get a 2 hour turn around & the cars only get 1 hour.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2016, 04:41:59 PM »
I find it ridiculous that the motorcycles get a 2 hour turn around & the cars only get 1 hour.

The difference is hard to explain and probably could not be justified if we were starting in the 21st Century.

However it is easy to understand when there are two separate governing bodies involved. The FIM have always protected two and three wheeled sport (1909) and the FIA has (eventually) been there for the four or more wheeled folk (1898, but now 1935 rules).

What is interesting is that a number of reasons are now being put forward that safety checks must over run the hour. Shouldn't builders look at ways of continuously monitoring parts or systems during vehicle operation, so that the data is available in 'real time'?
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.