Author Topic: A New Governing Body with new rules - WLSRA  (Read 17774 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: A New Governing Body with new rules - WLSRA
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 03:24:28 PM »
*****Why do we have two threads going on this??****I
  Sid.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 05:35:47 AM »
*****Why do we have two threads going on this??****I
  Sid.

When I first posted the information a few days ago, the WLSRA stated that they were dealing with the "Ultimate" land speed record hence Rosco and his Aussie Invader project embraced the news. In other words supersonic cars.

Then the new 'organisation' WLSRA decided that they would not only have four thrust powered classes but they would include wheeldriven cars, wheeldriven three wheelers and wheeldriven bikes (hovercraft and unlimited watercraft).

'Discussions on absolute land speed records' does not attract the usual Bonneville racer to look in here, so I wrote the second thread to alert SCTA/BNI & USFRA racers to the WLSRA.

If Slim decides it should be one thread, then please alter it to leave the thread running in the Bonneville section.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 12:34:21 PM »
Copy that Mate!
  Sid.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 01:59:23 PM »
Dang it, Malcolm, but you Brits come up with the goofiest ways to justify your actions.  I'll go with it -- sounds like a reasonable way to get more folks to see the information.

Long Live the Queen, all others eat Vegemite! :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 02:32:15 PM »
On 13 October ThrustSSC set a two way km speed of 760.474 mph and mile 762.146 mph. Unfortunately the second run was 49.6 seconds outside the turnaround time, so no record. Two days later the team set the current record that has stood for over 18 years - the longest for any outright record.

Offline dw230

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 02:47:56 PM »
Summers Bros. record was good for 45 years. That record was good enough to be called the 'ouright' wheel driven record.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 04:47:53 PM »
Al Teague's 425.050 record in 1991 was faster than Summers Bros., so nearly 26 years. But I was meaning 'Outright' in the modern-day FIA sense, i.e. "irrespective of category, of class or of group".

Offline dw230

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2016, 11:28:43 PM »
Check Charles Nearburg record over the Summers Bros. FIA class and rules, 45 years.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2016, 04:16:29 AM »
Check Charles Nearburg record over the Summers Bros. FIA class and rules, 45 years.
DW

............... and then DW someone family got a turbine car to run very fast and piston engines are now having to play catch up in the bragging rights. This new organisation may finally consign pistons to the bin of history. Should we allow that to happen?

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2016, 04:19:05 AM »
On 13 October ThrustSSC set a two way km speed of 760.474 mph and mile 762.146 mph. Unfortunately the second run was 49.6 seconds outside the turnaround time, so no record. Two days later the team set the current record that has stood for over 18 years - the longest for any outright record.

Sorry, but a small correction....the longest outright standing record was Gary Gabelich and the Blue Flame....from November 1970 to September 1997....630+ mph over the kilo....

Richard broke only the mile record at Black Rock October 1983.....

but one Man had the record much longer....John Cobb set the record in 1939....and pushed them higher in 1947....
to the big rule change and the split in different categories for wheel driven and thrust powered car....his record was not broken before 1991....Big Al Teague and Betsy....
Cobb's engine was supercharged.....Campbell had a turbine.....Summers N/A.....three different classes after the change in 1964/65......so Cobb had the record for 52 years, Summers incredible record from 1965 stood for 45 years.....both are legends in our sport....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2016, 12:03:20 PM »
In the late 80's when we were knocking on the door of 400 with Betsy, there were a few times down at the other end I found myself referencing the history that Jon Cobb had been doing the same thing in the same place 50 years earlier & how lucky was I to actually be here.
  Sid.   

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 02:08:59 PM »
In the late 80's when we were knocking on the door of 400 with Betsy, there were a few times down at the other end I found myself referencing the history that Jon Cobb had been doing the same thing in the same place 50 years earlier & how lucky was I to actually be here.
  Sid.    

following Al, setting all his records over the years with Betsy....something you will never forget.....

just Al's first run for his final record (2002)....432 mph with the little engine out of the door...the sound took care that the hair in your neck stand upright....so awesome.....and he run after Nolan's fatal run...

the picture of him with the celebration beer in his hand and a smile.....so wide.....

Al still own the kilo record from the 1991 run....425 mph.....as he told me....he got no idea where this speed is coming from....he knows only that he run a so speed in one direction...

...it's so in the FIA books....

Hope, that is for you folks not too boring when I correct from time to time the real facts...... :roll:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 02:13:22 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 07:04:04 PM »

DW

Sorry Dan, I thought you were talking about the time the Summers Bros. record was called the outright wheel driven record.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2016, 07:20:06 PM »

Sorry, but a small correction....the longest outright standing record was Gary Gabelich and the Blue Flame....from November 1970 to September 1997....630+ mph over the kilo....

Thomas, can I attempt a small correction of my own? When Richard Noble beat Gary Gabelich's mile speed it became the outright record because it was also faster than the kilometre speed.  Gary retained the kilo class record but it was no longer the outright record.

There can only be one outright record at any given point in time.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2016, 05:39:03 AM »

Thomas, can I attempt a small correction of my own? When Richard Noble beat Gary Gabelich's mile speed it became the outright record because it was also faster than the kilometre speed.  Gary retained the kilo class record but it was no longer the outright record.

There can only be one outright record at any given point in time.

good point.....Richard run 633 mph (622 mph Gary) over the mile....and 634 mph (630 mph Gary) over the kilo which was not enough  for the 1 percent rule......

interesting here - from a "talk" with the FIA I had a couple years ago - for the FIA mile and kilo are both outright records.....don't ask me why and when I tried to get the reason for the answer was...."it is so"....... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

the same strange answer with Al Teague's kilo record from 1991....the 425 mph....albeit it looks that this speed is wrong...and maybe they can correct the list.....the answer was....

"it is so in record list and we let them so in the record list".....great for all the racers who like to break the record in this category....

Hope you can now understand why I wrote this earlier note....

we not have to understand the FIA :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

about "outright wheel driven record"....it was great to see, that the FIA after all this years, gave the wheel driven speed community(or the Purist as we call them) the World Land Speed Record back....instead of international records :? :? :?.....like the end of the 1 percent rule....it was only one fellow in the  FIA who blocked this change for years....therefore he got the nickname Mr. One Percent......
Pork Pie