Author Topic: Bench Racing Section  (Read 27339 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: Bench Racing Section
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2016, 12:13:31 PM »
As what I thought Bench Racing was. In the latest HRM is a very impressive 318 Poly that is out to 402. What crank allows that? Billet? The electronics on that thing must be more expensive than the Packard or Lincoln engines in the story.

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2016, 02:07:39 PM »
As what I thought Bench Racing was. In the latest HRM is a very impressive 318 Poly that is out to 402. What crank allows that? Billet? The electronics on that thing must be more expensive than the Packard or Lincoln engines in the story.

Well they also took the bore out to like 4.03, .120 over.  The crank is piece you can get from MP and other sources.
http://www.campbellenterprises.com/318-stroker-kit-mopar-318-5.2-stroker-kits.php 

The crank is actually a cast piece.  The modulus on the block is so high and the bearings so large on the small block mopars that the crank is well supported.  Incidently the stock poly crank is a forged piece... so in a way the aftermarket one isn't as nice, just bigger.

The crank is the same as an LA engine so anything that works in the bottom of an LA works in the polysphere, including the pistons, although with LA pistons the compression is considerably lower.  That said Cambelle offer some actual poly specific pistons that will get the compression up to 10.5:1.  I'm not sure which way to go yet on pistons.  LA pistons are cheap and easy to get, and if I go that route I end up around 8.5:1 compression.  Not a bad place to be if you want to run boost.  3.95 or so on the bore, 3.58 on the stroke, 8.5:1, 12psi of boost and fuel injection is sounding really good to me.

I actually emailed Hilborne to find out what that setup would cost to have made for me.

"So the full kit including manifold, Holley electronics and a complete
Weldon Pump fuel system should run around $7100."

So yeah... exact opposite of cheap.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2016, 03:24:35 PM »

Orphan stuff is ALWAYS more expensive than popular chooices.   Just the way it is.   R & D for popular products can be spread over many parts sales.

Orphans and oddballs just do not sell.     :?

:dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse:

Go figure . . . .

Hey, I know these two nutjobs trying to make a 1 liter race engine out of a Rover 'K' Twin Cam . . . . . . . . .   And then shovel it into a car where it was never fitted . . . .
 :dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse:

:-D  :cheers:

Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline RichFox

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2016, 03:29:10 PM »
Well the Packard and the Lincoln are pretty much orphans. And i know I didn't have much in the Packard or the Lincoln I have here now. Of course that shows in the dyno sheet. Still, if the Poly was using an LS intake, perhaps someone could get a junkyard LS EFI and do some electrical magic to it to use on a Poly?

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2016, 07:25:05 AM »
I don't know how well that would work.  The way the SAM guys made it work was aluminum spacers between the heads and the intake.  That would place the injectors that much farther away from the valve head which defeats the purpose of port injection.  It's probably why they went with the hilborn setup.

I also highly doubt you could get the stock LS PCM to work.  You never see anyone attempt to use the stock LS PCM in any other LS engine swap.  Even if you could trick the PCM into running, with the injectors farther away It's questionable if you could ever make the injection timing work on the stock PCM.  That's after spending a lot of time finding a way to fit cam, crank, and distributor trigers into the poly because the stock pcm will require all of those.  An after market pcm is probably the only workable sollution.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Polyhead

Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2016, 03:49:43 PM »
It's probably just a mock-up.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2016, 04:03:13 PM »
It's probably just a mock-up.

does that matter?  I mean... I'm thinking two of those, belly tank in the middle for a cockpit.  Make myself a miniature thrust ssc driven by four motorcycle engines.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2016, 04:07:06 PM »
It does if it's just wood.  :-D

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2016, 04:49:33 PM »
The ALCM is 20 ft. 9 in. long and 24.5 in. wide. One would make a nice car. One problem might be that it is designed to fly.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2016, 04:54:25 PM »
It does if it's just wood.  :-D

Then it's a form for laying fiberglass on!
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline dw230

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2016, 09:26:50 PM »
Go for it Phead.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline DRW

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2016, 02:41:57 AM »
I like the shape, I can dream of some sweet Motorcycle engines that would fit right in there .
I wish there were more photos !
DW
Doesnt Mean That Much To me, To Mean That Much To You !

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm