Author Topic: Grand Nat'l Roadster Show 2016  (Read 9264 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Grand Nat'l Roadster Show 2016
« on: January 28, 2016, 11:35:12 AM »
Howdy there, girls and boys.  Nancy and I are in Ontario/Pomona for the next few days - to bring you some of the stuff at the GNRS and the Land Speed Racers that'll be there with us.

If you've got stuff to say, questions to ask, and so on -- and if you wanna see a bunch of photos of the "junk" we see -- stay tuned.

And yeah, I gotta be honest -- And thanks, Fred, and so on, for the donations I've already received here at landracing.com.  Thanks VERY much.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Re: Grand Nat'l Roadster Show 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 11:39:24 AM »
Yes Slim...please melt your server w/ pics.  JB
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 07:10:23 PM »
We're heading back to the show in a few minutes.  Had to take a break = 'cause the lr.com "booth" was in use as a marshalling desk - so we couldn't set up.  And most of the vehicles were still in waiting lines to get in to off-load so there were only a few vehicles.  Let's see -- the new Speed Demon, sans culottes, and Russ Eyres was there with his roadster and so was Mike Kilger and his new (to us) car and Jim Knapp and on and on.  We're going there again to set up -- and to enjoy the cake and welcome reception this evening.  Maybe I'll get some photos for you tonight.  I'll try - - and yes, Thomas I got your note.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jdincau

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 07:34:33 PM »
     Well after a two hour wait we got in and set up. It is tough getting all those trailers in between the Fairplex buildings and the cars unloaded. The gate keeper lady must have the patience of Jobe. Tony says this car show deal combines all the worst waiting in line features of Bonneville and El Mirage but you don't get to race after you get through it.
     We are right across the isle from fellow SDRC members Russ and Eric Eyres. I think on Sunday when we leave we will just bring the tow bar in and tow the roadster back to the trailer parking lot to load up.
     When I got home I told my wife the hardest thing to do was to walk away from the car leaving it in someone else's care.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline salt27

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 12:20:22 AM »
Jon, "Pancakes are us" in the morning?   :-D

Wish we were there, good memories.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 12:30:12 AM by salt27 »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 12:38:57 AM »
Don, we were talking about going there just this evening.  This time, though, we're staying in Ontario -- and don't know where the heck the place is anymore.  Maybe tomorrow at the show we can at least say howdy.

To the GNRS 2016, like the title says.  I took a bunch of photos and won't try to tell you what's whom since most of the folks weren't there and the signs weren't up and Nancy and I don't know each and every one.  But maybe youse guys do. . .

And finally, there was a cake and bubbly drink gala (well, there were a buncha folks there even if no one was wearing formal wear.  Remember, this part of the show is a fund raiser for SCTA as well as a show for land speed vehicles as well as a place to show off a buncha fancy customised vehicles.  You saw a few of 'em in the photos (above) -- and tomorrow I'll try to get the rest of the LSR vehicles and some of the other vehicles in the show, too.

Ain't this a heck of a note?  I tried to straighten this photo about five times.  Maybe I should have quit at three times?

More tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 12:43:10 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 10:21:23 AM »
Jon...If you are taking requests...How about a profile shot or two of that bare metal `34 3 window w/ the Packard grill????  ( surprised no one has called that 348 a 409 yet....)
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 02:37:37 PM »
Jerry, we race bikes.  What the heck is a blah-blah '36 with seven windows and an engine or alarm clock or whatever?  Give me something easier to figure -- like maybe a color?

Car guys.  Sheesh!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

velocity

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 05:31:39 PM »
FOR RELEASE AT GRAND NATIONAL ROADSTER SHOW

Replacing Alienation with Cooperation on Track for Bonneville Salt Flats Restoration

FOR RELEASE JANUARY 29, 2016                                   

Salt Lake City, UT - - Back-to-back years of wet weather, coupled with years of federal mismanagement, has created unsafe surface conditions and ramped up frustrations among the land speed racing community. Save the Salt Coalition and the Utah Alliance recognized that adversarial postures would contribute nothing to the restoration of the Bonneville Salt Flats, an Area of Critical Environmental Concern, and instead spent the past six months cultivating new, productive relationships with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Intrepid Potash-Wendover, and elected representatives on city, state and federal levels.

The result was an unprecedented improvement in communication and cooperation between the BLM and the land speed racing community. Numerous substantive conversations percolated a vigorous exchange of information, ideas and documents. Chief among them is the possibility of withdrawing all 10 mineral leases located north of Interstate 80 from future mining.

The racing community contends that Bonneville lost millions of tons of salt over many decades due to the leases. However, only three percent of Intrepid-Potash’s current annual production is derived from all 10 leases combined. The mining company is willing to abandon the leases altogether so long as no other competitor is allowed to take them over.

We have asked the BLM to investigate the appropriate process to withdraw the 10 leases from all future mining. Normally it is a cumbersome federal process that can take years, but we are working with both BLM staff and elected officials to speed the effort.

Additionally, we are patiently waiting for the delivery of the Bingham Report, a comprehensive engineering document commissioned by the Save the Salt Coalition and Utah Alliance with short- and long-term recommendations for restoring Bonneville. This document forms the basis of the land speed racing community’s position statement.

Among the action items will be: a plan to maximize the brine return program volume as well as control the brine return by creating a containment area; protect the already fragile salt surface from additional mud drift; closing the I-80 culverts to retain laydown brine flow; shift from voluntary to mandatory salt return; require measurement, monitoring, reporting, and analysis of the salt return amounts as well as salt extracted from areas that could impact the international speedway; actively evaluate alternative mechanisms and processes for salt return.

The Save the Salt Foundation (StS) is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to restore the world-famous Bonneville Salt Flats. The Utah Alliance (UA) is a volunteer Utah-based advocacy group using its expertise and contacts at the local level to protect this Historic Place listed on the National Register. The Save the Salt Coalition (StSc) is an umbrella group comprised of automotive and motorsports companies and organizations with a vested interest in this national treasure. All three organizations are collaborating to keep the Bonneville Salt Flats available for future generations.

“Refuse to settle for the status quo and defy the powers who loathe to have it disturbed.” - S. Hendrix

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 06:41:48 PM »
That red Camaro in the SCTA exhibit -- is/was it a land speed car?  Did it earn the SCTA #1? 
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 06:51:28 PM »
That red Camaro in the SCTA exhibit -- is/was it a land speed car?  Did it earn the SCTA #1? 

TV pavement car I think Stan.... anybody can put any number on a car on TV... I think the General Lee had about the same number....  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 06:55:14 PM »
The "Big Red Camaro" that's been running has used the #1 at the Salt -- but I don't think it ran other than at the Shootout -- where he can run any number he wants.  It's a '68, I think.  This looks to be a new car for the team -- maybe just this one is for transportation to the track or something. :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 08:57:06 AM »
My guess there is some money involved with GM--- is the reason for the car  switch---has nothing to do with what they have gotten done on a traditional LSR track.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 11:53:41 AM »
What was that?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jdincau

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 12:03:51 PM »
What was that?
you know, running up and down towing a helicopter
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!