Author Topic: Roof rails again and again  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Polyhead

Roof rails again and again
« on: January 26, 2016, 04:35:30 PM »
So, the rules for pro say the gutters on my car have to stay.  They also say roof rails should be as close to the edge of the roof as possible.  Can I extend the gutters and use them as my roof rails?

I know the purpose is to spoil the air while I'm doing my best impression of a spin cycle and keep the car on the ground.  Putting them in that location would work very well for that purpose.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Stan Back

Re: Roof rails again and again
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 07:18:34 PM »
Here are some guesses . . .

Extending the gutters would probably be considered a body modification.

And some gutters are not on the top of the roof, but down around the side where they would not be so effective.

A whole lot easier to just install the roof rails on top where they'd do the most good.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline dw230

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 08:27:08 PM »
Go for the separate rails on top.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 10:35:11 PM »
Run the 130 Club, get in
Run the 150 Club, get in
Then you will know if you want to spend another $5-10K making it a race car.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 10:47:41 PM »
Run the 130 Club, get in
Run the 150 Club, get in
Then you will know if you want to spend another $5-10K making it a race car.

Fair enough.

I still think I'm going to at the very least put a simple 6 point cage with some very low door bars and bolt in cross brace but keep the hoop clear of my head so driving it without a helmet isn't a hazard.  55 years of rust and fatigue, I don't entirely trust it not to crack.  Being a unit body, I don't trust it in roll over even at 130mph, even as unlikely as it is.  I've seen 13 second cars roll over at drag strips and dude... no thanks!  Even a simple, weekend to install.  I've been relearning the passed two weeks that I sure don't heal as fast at 37 as I did at 18.  Did something to my knee in all the ice and snow we got 3 weeks ago, it's just now getting well enough for me to consider getting back on the bicycle.  Spent the last couple of weeks hobbling down stairs because it hurt and just didn't feel like it was under me.

That said I think the rear fins on the car just might keep the rear of the car down in the event of a spin, at least spoiling the air flow over the trunk when sideways.  That's probably a better question... what affect if any to fins have at speed... other than making the car look REALLY cool.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 12:44:23 PM »
....That's probably a better question... what affect if any to fins have at speed... other than making the car look REALLY cool...

http://1fatgmc.com/car/14-Hooley/14%20-%20hooley-construction-2014-2.html

Sumner