Author Topic: Liar Liar boots on fire. wait no, just a question about SFI rated boots.  (Read 6169 times)

Offline Polyhead

When you say boots, you mean proper boots, or will any foot wear with the needed SFI rating for your class do the job?  Because the only boots boots i'm finding are SFI 3.3/20 but I can find plenty of "high top" driving shoes rated at the needed for my vehicle per rules (all other cars over 175mph) that are SFI 3.3/5 rated.  There is a considerable difference in price.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline redhotracing

Re: Liar Liar boots on fire. wait no, just a question about SFI rated boots.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 09:03:50 AM »
Given the proximity of your feet to the firewall, scattershield, etc. a pair of /15 or /20 boots (as in Top Fuel style boots) are the way to go. Yes, you can drop a lot of $$$ on a new pair, but a Google search should net you some used boots in good shape. I bought a pair off a Alky dragster guy a few years ago for $200. They're out there if you look hard enough.

Remember, the rules listed for safety equipment are the minimum requirement. A couple hundred $$$ extra is worth more than burned skin, IMO.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 11:55:32 AM »
I recommend putting the money for safety-required clothing aside until you're sure when and where you're going to compete.  Some projects take longer than one thinks.  You don't want their useful life to be shortened in the closet.  And running at different venues may require different items.  I don't know much about the 130 Club the USFRA offers, but I'd guess the requirements are not the same as required for blown fuel on a 5-mile course.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 07:31:27 AM »
I recommend putting the money for safety-required clothing aside until you're sure when and where you're going to compete.  Some projects take longer than one thinks.  You don't want their useful life to be shortened in the closet.  And running at different venues may require different items.  I don't know much about the 130 Club the USFRA offers, but I'd guess the requirements are not the same as required for blown fuel on a 5-mile course.

Just a snell approved helmet.  the requirements though, are minimums...
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »
I've been wearing the hi-top style since 1975. I have the -20 boots and wear them when required. I would advise you to use nomex socks and underware. Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 01:24:34 PM »
When you say boots, you mean proper boots, or will any foot wear with the needed SFI rating for your class do the job?  Because the only boots boots i'm finding are SFI 3.3/20 but I can find plenty of "high top" driving shoes rated at the needed for my vehicle per rules (all other cars over 175mph) that are SFI 3.3/5 rated.  There is a considerable difference in price.

I'm only currently running about 150, but I have 15 or 20 in everything, including the funny car boots. As Joe Timney said to me, if you think this stuff is expensive, wait until you see the bill from the burn unit at the hospital...
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 08:24:41 PM »
All good advice, still doesn't answer my question though.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 09:22:43 PM »
Ben, where it says boots, read footwear.  The SFI requirement is the minimum allowed... Must be labeled.  Not required for 130 Club and a SFI 3.2A/1 or better rated fire suit including shoes and gloves and an approved neck collar for the 150 Club. 
So if you are buying shoes and plan to run LSR one day, buy at least the required  SFI 3.3/5 rated ones. 
Buy your safety equipment with your conscience...

You are protecting you... all of us never think we will need this stuff...
until we do  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tauruck

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 10:15:03 PM »
I don't know how many of you race once a year or more but I raced F2 from 1981 to 1986.

There is no compromise when it comes to safety equipment, period.

My advice is if you're driving a 100mph beater or a 400mph liner buy the best most expensive
equipment available.

If you're into minimum requirement don't get involved in racing.
Overkill is king and that's been the advice I've been given on the forum from day one.

Never mind the bill, the pain???. you won't handle it. :cry:

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 12:16:54 AM »
I don't know how many of you race once a year or more but I raced F2 from 1981 to 1986.

There is no compromise when it comes to safety equipment, period.

My advice is if you're driving a 100mph beater or a 400mph liner buy the best most expensive
equipment available.

If you're into minimum requirement don't get involved in racing.
Overkill is king and that's been the advice I've been given on the forum from day one.

Never mind the bill, the pain???. you won't handle it. :cry:

All well and good, but the reality is, I'm just a machinist.  I make OK money, but not great money.  I'm too ugly to whore, and too old to get pretty.  It's wait another year, sit around and do nothing, or get my hands on what I can, and do something.  No wife, no kids.  The only person I'm gonna let down is my cat.... and I dissapoint him daily so...  I'm not risking as much as some are.

Sparing no expense is all well and good, but unless someone starts paying me for being stupid corners are gonna get cut somewhere.  My bicycle ride to and from work is considerably more risky than this venture.  Hell my job is probably more risky than this venture.  You know, rig a 10 ton part wrong and stand in the wrong place, and the best thing that can happen is that it kills you.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 11:22:50 AM »
You left the last word off of that last sentence... quickly  :-o

Like I said, buy what you think is best for you.... Almost nothing required for 130 Club but a helmet.  The faster you go, the more expensive it gets.... have fun along the way... most of us spent years at this before we went fast enough for a record.
Be safe
Have fun
Go fast
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 02:37:04 PM »
A 10.00 head requires a 10.00 helmet. Fire is a awful thing and long time recovery
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 12:45:02 AM »
A 10.00 head requires a 10.00 helmet. Fire is a awful thing and long time recovery

$10 is being rather generous in my case.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL