Author Topic: Wheel spin indicator / distance marker.  (Read 3599 times)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Wheel spin indicator / distance marker.
« on: January 13, 2016, 09:15:06 PM »
My son and I have been working on a piece of electronics that has a few features that might interest Bonneville or other LSR  racers.
1) It would send out signals (through an output) to mark all the 1/4 mile marks as well as a slightly longer signal to measure the 1-12 whole miles. This would be tied to one of the inputs of the users data logger. It would give reference to what one would see in their data log to mark where on course they were vs mph or rpm or whatever.
2) It will turn on an output that can be tied to a dash light  to let the driver know the drive tire surface speed is exceeding driven tire surface speed by more than a user programmable percentage. It would have a second output that could be tied to another output (maybe another dash light of a different color) that would let the user know he is in the user programmable optimal zone. This might be from 2% - 5%  range of drive tire over speed that gives optimal acceleration on the salt, dirt, concrete  or asphalt. The trick part will be during the set-up. It will account for both front and rear tire growth to keep this devise as accurate as possible at all speeds.
It will not need a laptop to program it. User will step though a series of questions on a digital screen to program it.
I will be using it on the #496 Carbiliner this year.
Might anybody else be interested in a device like this?
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: Wheel spin indicator / distance marker.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 10:31:17 PM »
Rob, I made a wheel spin calculator a few years ago that worked by measuring the RPM of the driven and undriven wheels and comparing the difference. It had an LED segmented readout that alerted the rider of the spin % (from green to red). It worked but I found that I was too busy looking where I was going to look at the readout.

I was not clear on how your method of of using the data logger knows when you have wheel spin. Can you elaborate?

Thanks
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 12:31:15 AM »
The data logger knows when you overlay front wheel speed over rear wheel speed when viewing but the data logger itself will not do a thing for us during the run. Just the two indicating lights of different colors.
The unit that I'm talking about will be a separate unit. We are currently using our dash logger to control boost and flap angle. It only has two programable PWM outputs. This all stems because we need more. I am hoping to use this unit to cut some boost if we start to spin the drive tires. It will probably be a little easier to see a couple of dashboard lights in a car than on a bike. Also, you can feel wheel spin on a bike better that most cars so it is probably not as necessary.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Wheel spin indicator / distance marker.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 12:41:47 AM »
Don,
I remember talking about this with a few years ago. Maybe over 4 years now that I think about it.
The problem that we have with the liner is that the rear tire grow over 3.5" at 500mph and our front rollers don't grow very much a all. At least they better not. LOL. This makes the programming more difficult. If we didn't compensate we could over speed the drive tires by 12% and never turn the indicator light.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline John Burk

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 01:26:56 PM »
In 1971 my friend and I made a wheel spin control device for my A/FD . It had small aluminum wheels with holes for a bulb and photocell running against a front and rear wheel tread and fed them to the computer that turned the mag of when the surface speed difference exceeded an adjustable percentage . Rear tire distortion kept it from working correctly . We called it a wheel spin governor . The term traction control wasn't used then .