Author Topic: Pattern replica 1915 Smith MotorWheel  (Read 1798 times)

Offline JimL

Pattern replica 1915 Smith MotorWheel
« on: January 13, 2016, 07:44:16 PM »
Here is a little "light entertainment" on a rainy evening in Oregon.  This is street legal, here, without registration or insurance but the rider must have an automobile drivers license and a bicycle helmet.

This is the final group of pics for my replica of the 1915 Smith MotorWheel. I hope you enjoyed this little experiment. The long, messy story of the build is under:

http://motoredbikes.com/threads/revisiting-a-100-year-old-design.46490/

For more of the MotorWheel story, google Smith Motor Wheel and also Briggs & Stratton history. Briggs bought the rights in 1919 and continued production until 1924.

These photos will simplify the rest of the story.

- The first photo shows the finished MotorWheel mounted on the bike.
 - Second photo is the close up of my lettering/decal on the geardrive/sprocket package cover.
 - Third photo shows the bike in "non-motored" configuration.
 - Fourth photo shows the two threaded studs and all tools needed to remove/install the MotorWheel in about 5 minutes.

A couple notes:
 - Bike can be transported on a bike rack without removing the MotorWheel. I simply use a motorcycle tiedown. I hold the wheel up by putting one tiedown hook through a wheel hole and the other to the seat post.
 - For transportation to any significant distance, it is more convenient to remove the MotorWheel and carry it inside the car. Loading and unloading is very easy, and installation is simple because the MotorWheel rests on its tire as the two mount studs are slid into the frame mount.
 - There is no need for a special kickstand.
 - I geared this relatively low, for practical use and to meet Oregon laws for low-power assisted bikes/scooters.
 - Full clutch engagement occurs at just under 5 mph, and so riding at low speeds is quite comfortable and very quiet.
 - Hill assist performance is good, and very little pedaling is needed on most hills in my town.
 - Cruising speeds is most comfortable in the 10-12 mph range, while maximum speed is limited to 15-16 mph.
 - You may notice that my throttle cable attachment has ratio change on the cable, when conntecting to the bike. This provides longer thumb throttle travel and makes throttle control easier when pedaling while climbing very steep hills.

Offline tauruck

Re: Pattern replica 1915 Smith MotorWheel
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 07:43:54 PM »
Jim, cool bike.

Love the frame.

Thanks a bunch. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: