Author Topic: Fuel line Armoring.  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Polyhead

Fuel line Armoring.
« on: January 12, 2016, 09:37:43 PM »
I've decided to ditch the OEM fuel line routing on my phoenix as it enters the passenger side rear wheel well at one point!  I don't care to have a blown tire result in a massive fuel fire.  Well... This now means I have a non OEM fuel line and routing (have no fear I've run 3/8ths stainless hard line) which to my understanding, since I have a unit body car, the fuel lines now need to be boxed inside some sort of metal armor bolted too, not screwed too, the floor.

No problem, I like the idea!  The question is, what do you guys prefer to use?  I would really like some sort of aluminum box that has an flange on the outside of it so I can easily install/remove it should a fuel line become suspect.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline RichFox

Re: Fuel line Armoring.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 10:41:46 AM »
I would use steel tube to run the fuel lines through, for obvious armoring reasons. One or more tabs can easily be welded to a steel tube for mounting.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 01:43:46 PM »
Although as with some things, too much is just right (horsepower) overbuilding for safety falls also in that category. The rule book only says that in the plane of the flywheel (and some circumstances blower drive) the fuel lines must be protected by frame rail or heavy wall tubing- Rule Para. 3I.  What you do elsewhere is up to you. As you say, cheesy lines in a wheel well might not be best.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline jdincau

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 02:38:28 PM »
As long as the fuel lines are outside the drivers compartment they only need to be protected in the plane of the flywheel. Fuel lines in the drivers compartment must be pre approved by the technical committee.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline BobDcuda

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 06:54:47 PM »
Poly, to shield my fuel line I used a piece of thick walled 1" square tube; long enough to cover the line though the plane of the flywheel.  I cut a lengthwise slot on one side, so the piece could slide over the fuel line.  Welded on some tabs and mounted it to the frame.

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 09:57:05 PM »
Poly, to shield my fuel line I used a piece of thick walled 1" square tube; long enough to cover the line though the plane of the flywheel.  I cut a lengthwise slot on one side, so the piece could slide over the fuel line.  Welded on some tabs and mounted it to the frame.

This is the Rule in Question, from the 130mph club website.
• On unibody cars such as Corvair, VW, Porsche, Etc. the fuel lines must be higher than the lowest part of the pan or the unibody structure. They must also be installed inside of a heavy metal tube or above a skid plate. The metal tube or skid plate must be positively attached (no sheet metal screws will be allowed). This is to protect the fuel system from damage if a wheel/tire failure should occur.

It doesn't say anything about being in the plane of the flywheel.  To me it sounds like they want the entire run of fuel line covered.  I could have sworn I saw a similar rule in the rule book elsewhere but i'm not finding it now.  I guess I should go ask in the rules section somewhere.  I mean, My fuel line is well above the lowest portion of the car, as it's layed up along side the subframe in the rear, and then follows the inner portion of the rocker panel against the floor to the front subframe, where it actually enters the front subfame (OEM) and travels through there to an opening just in front of the mechanical fuel pump.  The front subframe has me covered so far as the plane of the flywheel goes (or in my case, torque converter.)
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL