Author Topic: Castrol R availability in the US  (Read 13538 times)

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Castrol R availability in the US
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 04:05:14 PM »
I can't tell you the technical reasons.  I bought a Manx 40+ years ago and R was the oil so I continued using R.  I've run R in all my racing engines since then.  From a 16,000 rpm Kreidler to ancient Nortons.  And now in my Weslakes.  Never had an oil related failure.  Plus the smell is great.  I just work on the why mess with it when it works theory.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline andychaos

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 05:17:14 PM »
It is supposed to stand very high temperatures before it breaks down.
I am with Nortonist though as I race a 1975 CCM and a 1971 B50 MX both of which run on Castrol R with no problems so I am happy to stick with what I know. It is also suitable for wet clutches and as B50 based engine breath through the primary case  I have to use the same oil in both engine and primary.
Plus it smells great 8-)

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 09:05:05 PM »
Last week I was at the local short track races and I asked about this.  It is used as a top end lube in four strokes.  Most two strokes are using synthetic oil 'cause there is some sort of maintenance issue with bean oil they do not worry about if they use synthetic.  Blendzall and Klotz were mentioned.  Almost all bike shops have some sort of bean oil.  It was near the track where I was told this and did not comprehend the finer details of the conversation.  It was really noisy.

Everything I needed to run was in the crate with the bike when I went to Wales, like a tire pump, fuel, oil, etc.  All I needed was an electrical outlet for the battery charger.  That thinking saved my butt.  I was tired, confused, and very busy dealing with all sorts of other issues and finding fuel, oil, and other basics would have been a big problem.   

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 10:53:37 PM »
R became a bit scarce around here so I switched to Oilzall.  Same as R.  Bean oil will get thick if its left to sit for a long time.  A long time.  I've never experienced any problems like that.  some got on the underside of my Weslake and took a bit of effort to remove.  Other tan that, in my eyes, its the best.  And as anyone who uses it will tell you its the Chanel no.5 of oil.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 12:24:34 AM »
When I was in my teens one of my friends drove an MG Twin Cam. You could always tell when Davey was in the area by the fragrance in the air.  :-D :-D :-D

I think that was the first twin overhead cam engine I ever had anything to do with.

Pete

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 01:53:07 AM »
"Chanel No-5 of oil" :-D that's a fact. I raced 3/4 Midgets in NZ when I was young & the track was always perfumed up from the Solo's with their Esso's Jawa's & JAP'S.
This Esso I have here was actually a factory 500 scrambler & was very similar to the road racer version.
  Sid.

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 02:40:59 AM »
"Chanel No-5 of oil" :-D that's a fact. I raced 3/4 Midgets in NZ when I was young & the track was always perfumed up from the Solo's with their Esso's Jawa's & JAP'S.
This Esso I have here was actually a factory 500 scrambler & was very similar to the road racer version.
  Sid.

As a long time fan of big singles it would be nice if you could post a photo of the ESO.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 11:30:00 AM »
Everything is packed away due to the owner's health situation but here's a link to info.
http://66.84.0.143/~ahrmanwc/eso.htm
The story I was told is that four factory work's bikes came to the US on tour in 52, two 350's & two 500"s & two of the bikes never left.
This 500 became a road racer.
I rebuilt the engine, then dismantled it & packed it away. A couple of 15 to 1 pistons, pins & rings came from Sweden, crank pin & bearings came from England & valve train stuff came from California. These engines are an amazing piece of hand carved hemi with the quality of a Miller or early Offy & I built an intake with a 2" SU to match the 2.06 intake valve. Hopefully one day I'll get to fire it.
  Sid.

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 12:20:40 PM »
We have another Esso racer among us who has set records with his APS bike and is now building a streamliner for the same engine.
http://edstugaanders.blogspot.se/
John

Offline bones

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016, 11:31:20 PM »
 Has anyone tried using Shell 'M'
 Shell's   R equivalent--  some of the speedway guys use it in Australia.

Sid
   does the Esso have a gearbox?  There were some scrambles engines made with unit gearboxes.

cheers    Bones

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2016, 03:29:44 AM »
Yes it does have a gearbox, from memory I think it's a 4 speed.
  Sid.

Offline bones

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2016, 02:23:47 AM »
Sid
    If the guy who owns it wanted to get rid of it I know a fella who maybe would like it.
He collects all things Speedway and lots of odd scrambles bikes.
I was in Pocatello the other day-- Didn't realise you were so close--- home now
   Cheers     Bones
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 02:29:22 AM by bones »

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2016, 12:03:37 PM »
Really Mate! It's a long way from Sydney to Pocatello.
Tim is a bike hoarder & will die with his collection, he has a lot of odd stuff like that. I found an old Jawa Trials bike in a farmers barn a couple of years ago but didn't tell him about it.
  Sid.