Author Topic: David Parks  (Read 2801 times)

Offline dw230

David Parks
« on: January 10, 2016, 01:10:34 PM »
Sad to report the recent passing of David Parks, son of Wally Parks of SCTA, Bonneville and NHRA fame.

His brother Richard Parks reported that David was found deceased at his homeon Friday afternoon or evening. David was a member of the Bonneville, El Mirage and Muroc 200 MPH clubs and a concerned racer who contributed much during his time with the SCTA. Following is a brief obit written by his brother. Info about services will come soon.

"It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that my brother, David Lee Parks, passed away on 8 January 2016 at his home in Corona Del Mar, California. Below is his story that he and I co-wrote together. He loved straight-line racing; drags and land speed. He loved all the people associated with racing and with all his might and spirit tried to make it a better sport for all. David had a rich heritage through his father and friends in the SCTA. Ak Miller, Jack Lufkin and many others watched as David struggled to make his Camaro go faster. Then when they had watched his torment enough they slapped him on the back and said, “Let’s get started.” That’s the way land speed and drag racers are; they want to see the struggle, but when the time comes they are right there at your shoulder ready to pitch in.
      David seemed to be in the prime of life; healthy and eager to go racing or to work on another project. That’s the bane of us all; we have too many projects to do for the life that we have in us. But we have to admire David and those like him because they never stop creating and building. We will all miss him greatly, but I will not only miss him; I will be lost without him. He was my younger brother but his strong will and drive made him far more capable of the two of us. He was my only sibling. I taught him how to ride a bike, and a little about how to drive a car. He far surpassed me; but that’s what you want to see a younger brother do. I was always proud of him. He’s gone now, but I will never forget him. I spoke to Jim Miller just a few days prior to my brother’s passing and he told me that in 2015 we lost 72 land speeders. Let’s hope that it will be awhile before we lose any more. If you haven’t started on your life story now is the time to do it. I nagged David to write his and he finally did though he said, “I’m still young.” The truth is that none of us know when our time is up."

Joanie and I are keeping Richard and his family in our prayers.

God Speed David,
Dan Warner
President
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: David Parks
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 01:22:23 PM »
WOW   that hurts  God Speed David!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 02:39:15 PM »
So sad to hear of Dave's passing. I always enjoyed talking with him.May he RIP.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 04:20:21 PM »
RIP Dave. He will be missed but not forgotten.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 04:26:40 PM »
Indeed -- Rest in Peace, Dave.

And for the most of you that keep putting off some recording of your history:  It's time to start, NOW! :dhorse:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 10:22:25 PM »
God Speed Dave
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline joea

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 10:37:27 PM »
rats....value every moment...!

Offline dw230

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 12:10:44 PM »
Info about David's service:

The memorial service for David will be at the
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,
2300 Bonita Canyon Drive,
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Saturday Jan 16th
10:30 am.

A luncheon will follow the memorial service.

David was 63 years old.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 02:02:07 PM »
Another sad day....

Haven't seen David for a long time by sheer luck we crossed our ways in September 2015 in California....his smile was even wider when he found out that meanwhile I also had the luck to join the 2 Club at Bonneville.....

and now this news....63....not an age....especially not for a speed racer...and he was one of us speed nuts....

David, thanks for all the help over the years.....R.I.P......will miss you....but you will never forgotten...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 02:05:08 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)