Author Topic: 1960 Dodge Dart Phoenix  (Read 47790 times)

Offline Polyhead

Re: 1960 Dodge Dart Phoenix
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2016, 04:59:37 PM »
Thanks Ben, That was the one I thought you had, I forgot it was dual plane, unlike the last aftermarket intake which was made by Weiand many decades ago. That Weiand one was just a single four knock off of the Factory dual quad, weird cause the intake divides the left and right bank makes your V8 into 2--- 4 cylinders.

great if you want a lumpy idle... :-D

I'm not sure what you mean.  Dual planes always have superior idle quality and partial throttle response compared to a single plane.  Single planes have a habit of only working wide open and even then only when the Rpm gets above 3000rpm.  Higher peak power in a single plane intake however.  Almost all factory intakes are dual plane.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2016, 05:15:14 PM »
Thanks Ben, That was the one I thought you had, I forgot it was dual plane, unlike the last aftermarket intake which was made by Weiand many decades ago. That Weiand one was just a single four knock off of the Factory dual quad, weird cause the intake divides the left and right bank makes your V8 into 2--- 4 cylinders.

I'm not sure what you mean.  Dual planes always have superior idle quality and partial throttle response compared to a single plane.  Single planes have a habit of only working wide open and even then only when the Rpm gets above 3000rpm.  Higher peak power in a single plane intake however.  Almost all factory intakes are dual plane.

A few years ago Edelbrock made a big single-plane SBC manifold that they called "4+4". It wasn't terribly popular although it was very closely related to their Victor E. Even today Edelbrock says that it was a very good manifold.

I suspect that it was a victim of its name- 4+4, which was too similar to 4x4. I'll bet that, like me, they misread the name and thought it was made for four-wheel drive trucks & RVs.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2016, 06:57:52 PM »

A few years ago Edelbrock made a big single-plane SBC manifold that they called "4+4". It wasn't terribly popular although it was very closely related to their Victor E. Even today Edelbrock says that it was a very good manifold.

I suspect that it was a victim of its name- 4+4, which was too similar to 4x4. I'll bet that, like me, they misread the name and thought it was made for four-wheel drive trucks & RVs.

Oh I see, so it was a dual single plane design.  I think all of Chrysler's cross ram setups are such a design.  Then again the long ram setups had an equalization tube.  I guess those would be a semi dual plane.

That edelbrock thing could really give people fits I bet.  People tend not to read instructions.  If you made the mistake of a progressive dual carb setup on that intake...
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2016, 07:36:51 PM »
Chrysler used many "360 degree" (divided single plane) manifolds including almost all 2 X 4 except the ram type.
The new manifold is very pretty and I would guess the CFM flow per runner and mixture distribution are excellent, but with a blower these things have significantly less impact.
Your displacement is small enough that an Eaton M122 (Ford Lightning etc.) off eBay may work well, with an adapter plate to locate it above a 2 X 4 manifold (or other with the top milled off).

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2016, 08:14:01 PM »
Chrysler used many "360 degree" (divided single plane) manifolds including almost all 2 X 4 except the ram type.
The new manifold is very pretty and I would guess the CFM flow per runner and mixture distribution are excellent, but with a blower these things have significantly less impact.
Your displacement is small enough that an Eaton M122 (Ford Lightning etc.) off eBay may work well, with an adapter plate to locate it above a 2 X 4 manifold (or other with the top milled off).

There are several problems with that.  First, this is the only intake for a poly that is in production.  The chances of finding an old dual quad intake are slim, and will bring over $1500.  A Paxton setup will be cheaper and more readily available.

Also, I have to say I'm not real impressed Roth this intake on the face of it.  The coolant passages look choked off and the intake ports are in even in both shape and size.  It's just not a very good casting.  The OEM intakes were certainly better made.

Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 10:25:04 AM »

There are several problems with that.  First, this is the only intake for a poly that is in production.  The chances of finding an old dual quad intake are slim, and will bring over $1500.  A Paxton setup will be cheaper and more readily available.

Also, I have to say I'm not real impressed Roth this intake on the face of it.  The coolant passages look choked off and the intake ports are in even in both shape and size.  It's just not a very good casting.  The OEM intakes were certainly better made.

Well, you could be using this quite rare factory single 4 bbl intake instead.    :-D   :-D

40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2016, 02:51:33 PM »

There are several problems with that.  First, this is the only intake for a poly that is in production.  The chances of finding an old dual quad intake are slim, and will bring over $1500.  A Paxton setup will be cheaper and more readily available.

Also, I have to say I'm not real impressed Roth this intake on the face of it.  The coolant passages look choked off and the intake ports are in even in both shape and size.  It's just not a very good casting.  The OEM intakes were certainly better made.

Well, you could be using this quite rare factory single 4 bbl intake instead.    :-D   :-D

You know the thing is, this car was a factory 4bbl Polyhead car.. Somewhere along the line it's original engine went missing and was replaced with a 2bbl engine.  The base engine in the 1960 Phoenix was a 4bbl equipped poly.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2016, 11:37:47 AM »
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-28199

I think I may have had a brilliant bit of luck!  The Dodge P7 heads have port spacing similar to an LS7.  The port spacing of a polyspherical is similar to an LS-7... Meaning, this raw as cast intake can probably be machine to work on a polysphere!  and better yet, it's CHEAP(ish).  I just might know a machinist that can take tackle this job!

Has anyone on the forum played with a Dodge R5 and P7 combo?
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline tortoise

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2016, 05:16:36 PM »

I think I may have had a brilliant bit of luck!  The Dodge P7 heads have port spacing similar to an LS7.  The port spacing of a polyspherical is similar to an LS-7... Meaning, this raw as cast intake can probably be machine to work on a polysphere!  and better yet, it's CHEAP(ish).  I just might know a machinist that can take tackle this job!

Why not an intake made for an LS7?

Offline RichFox

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2016, 05:19:41 PM »
That's what I thought after reading HRM this month. I also notice that a 1050 CFM Holley seems to be most popular with the killer Y block using two 750s.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 06:32:55 PM by RichFox »

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2016, 07:23:13 PM »

Why not an intake made for an LS7?

Because these were only $80 and unmachined.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline tauruck

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2016, 07:44:38 PM »
Ben, We love photos here. I've never seen those heads. How about some pics?. Thanks, :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2016, 09:16:07 PM »
Ben, We love photos here. I've never seen those heads. How about some pics?. Thanks, :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Which heads?  The dodge P7 heads?
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2016, 09:23:19 PM »
soooooo... needed to move the car today and tried to fire it and no dice.  I swapped in points ignition back in because the parts are there and it fired right up. -_-;

I'm thinking just ditch everything in there and go with a complete MSD setup.  Everyone seems to run them, probably a good reason for that.  But my home built setup appears to not be very reliable. :P
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Indy

• New folks
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2016, 10:06:09 PM »
How did the points look ....... Maybe it was just a matter or remaking a connection that was slightly corroded.
Rick

Too Much Is Just Enough