Author Topic: G/F class lakester in Wichita, Kansas  (Read 220058 times)

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
G/F class lakester in Wichita, Kansas
« on: January 02, 2016, 10:37:55 AM »
I am far enough along with my lakester chassis to post a few images (if file sizes will allow). The frame started out as a 1984 Reynard FC car mostly because a) I had it b) I fit in it and c) about 85% of all the parts were there to complete the car. Three other considerations were limited space to build the thing, even more limited resources to transport it and that my engine, transaxle and rear suspension fit without modification. All that said, the car still needed to be built and assembled in two pieces. This way, I can transport the car with my short open trailer and garage storage will be easier. OK, that is the background. Here are some of the car basics:

1. 150" wheelbase.
2. Front and rear suspension. A big thank you goes out to stainless for allowing me to copy 90% of his front
    suspension.
3. 36.5" tall from bottom of chassis to top of roll cage.
4. 26" wide at widest part of chassis excluding suspension and wheels.
5. Overall length has yet to be determined but should come in somewhere around 220" to 250".
6. Estimated frontal area less all outboard goodies is 6.85 sq. ft.
7. Cd is a big guess but based on less aerodynamic formula cars and my first lakester, I am guessing around  
    .40 but could be a little better.
8. 1.625"X.095" 4130 in driver cell, 1.50"X.095" 4130 in front section.
9. Front axle is 1.75"X.125" 4130 with trailing arm supports stitch welded (I listened, Rob).
10. Rear section behind driver is pure Reynard FC using 1"X1" square mild steel.

As soon as I get a few images of the chassis and front axle formatted correctly, I will send them along.

John

« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 11:09:30 AM by ggl205 »

Offline ggl205

Re: G/F class lakester in Wichita, Kansas
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 11:05:01 AM »
Here are a few more images.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 11:46:26 AM »
John, you are a welding machine!  8-)
  Sid.

Offline ggl205

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 12:00:20 PM »
John, you are a welding machine!  8-)
  Sid.

Sid, I wish those were my welding skills but sadly, they are not. Those skills belong to a friend of mine at Buzzard Racing in Kenosha, WI. He builds and repairs sprint and midget chassis with the occasional LSR frame. John Callahan is his name and an absolute magician behind a welder.

John

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 12:29:58 PM »

10. Rear section behind driver is pure Reynard FC using 1"X1" square mild steel.

I think that's a brilliant idea, right there.  Most of your chassis engineering and driveline packaging is already a proven design, and it lets you concentrate on what you need to do to make is safe and fast.

:cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 05:32:57 AM »
Powered by ??
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline ggl205

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 08:59:10 AM »
Powered by ??

A four cylinder, 2.0L Ford Cosworth BDG variant. Burton Brown used it in his streamliner last year along with my Hewland Mk9 sequential 5-speed transaxle which is is also going in the lakester.

John

Offline ggl205

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 11:47:24 AM »
Having a little trouble adding an image to my last post. Here is one of the engine I will use.

Offline ggl205

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 11:49:40 AM »

I think that's a brilliant idea, right there.  Most of your chassis engineering and driveline packaging is already a proven design, and it lets you concentrate on what you need to do to make is safe and fast.

:cheers:

That was my thinking, MM. Hope it works out that way.

John

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 01:07:46 PM »
I've talked with Woody and Burton about that engine a lot.  It's a marvel.  Even the engineers at Ford gave it a critical look-over at PRI in 2014.

It's a lot of power for that Hewland box.

Your transmission might be the weak link in this combo, but I also think LSR on a slick surface will prove less punishing than road racing a similarly powered vehicle.

How much are you weighing in at?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 01:13:34 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline ggl205

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 01:51:32 PM »
I've talked with Woody and Burton about that engine a lot.  It's a marvel.  Even the engineers at Ford gave it a critical look-over at PRI in 2014.

It's a lot of power for that Hewland box.

Your transmission might be the weak link in this combo, but I also think LSR on a slick surface will prove less punishing than road racing a similarly powered vehicle.

How much are you weighing in at?
Target weight is at or under 2000 pounds dry or roughly what my first G lakester weighed. This Mk9 Hewland was used successfully in LSR for about eight years behind a YBM Cosworth producing 306 hp and 185 ft. Lds. of torque. Granted, this combination was run at Bonneville exclusively but the old YAC Cosworth Sports 2000 road racing series cars used a 180 ft. Lbs. YAC engine behind a relatively stock Mk9 without incident. Considering these were road racing cars raced on asphalt and concrete tracks, banging gears pretty hard at full throttle, I do not see any reason why this new engine would damage the gearbox when it produces just 5-10 Ft. Lbs. more than the YAC. But like the man says, "you pays your money and takes your chances". We will see how it all sorts out. My new car will initially be set up for an airport track so if there is a weak link, that track surface will find it quickly.

John

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 04:10:23 PM »
John said: "A four cylinder, 2.0L Ford Cosworth BDG variant." Looking at the picture of your little "banger" I would say the word "variant" is not quite strong enough! Two sets of injectors!? Not knowing the details of this engine is it a good guess that each of the intake valves has it's own intake tract and therefore the double injector setup?? How about a little more info??

Looking at your chassis I like the two part idea but it also looks like your body will be of the "gutter and down spout" design, i.e. flat side panels with a flat bottom similar to a rear engine dragster. Not the most aero but that dynamite engine may make up for the non optimal shape. Keep us up to date, great build and love the concept.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline ggl205

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 05:38:11 PM »
John said: "A four cylinder, 2.0L Ford Cosworth BDG variant." Looking at the picture of your little "banger" I would say the word "variant" is not quite strong enough! Two sets of injectors!? Not knowing the details of this engine is it a good guess that each of the intake valves has it's own intake tract and therefore the double injector setup?? How about a little more info??

Looking at your chassis I like the two part idea but it also looks like your body will be of the "gutter and down spout" design, i.e. flat side panels with a flat bottom similar to a rear engine dragster. Not the most aero but that dynamite engine may make up for the non optimal shape. Keep us up to date, great build and love the concept.

Rex
Hi Rex:
The engine employs two intake tracts, both offset opposite each other from centerline of valve(s). This offset generates swirl well ahead of charge fluid entering the cumbustion chamber. Cams profiles look like street units with low lift under .480" and duration just over 300 degrees. This engine could easily benefit from more aggressive cams but I am happy with the 342 hp available. I believe Burton is working on a 375 hp version with more serious cams.

You concluded correctly that this car will be more or less, slab sided, with a flat bottom. But don't count out the aerodynamics of this setup. Ride height will be between 1" and 1.50" and travel of around 3/4". Keeping air from migrating under the car via low ride height and a near 100% perimeter splitter, negative lift should be helpful to grip and handling. Lakester streamlines are hard to keep laminar due to so much turbulence coming off wheels and other extremities but there may be ways to mitigate some of this turbulence. I haven't worked that out yet and CFD would be very helpful here. Also keep in mind that body shape will not necessarily follow chassis form.

John

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 07:03:21 PM »

Rex, excuse me if I seem surprised that you haven't heard about this one. 

Here's the teaser from Woody's website.

http://www.designdreams.biz/design-portfolio-1---cfd-studies.html

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 10:20:03 PM »

Rex

Rex, I am curious what you might consider an optimal lakester shape... but maybe that needs its own thread...I recall a lot of successful lakesters are your garden variety "gutter and downspout design".  Thinking a lot of the 300 MPH lakesters are flat sided...

John, looking good, guess I should come visit in person  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O