Author Topic: G/F class lakester in Wichita, Kansas  (Read 221013 times)

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Re: G/F class lakester in Wichita, Kansas
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »
Expand, Sparky.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2017, 10:15:41 AM »
Pictures not rightside up. :-D :-D

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline ggl205

« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2017, 10:24:21 AM »
Pictures not rightside up. :-D :-D

Ron

Ron/Sparky:

Not sure if this works on desktop computers but when I open these images in my iPad, they are in correct orientation. Depending on the device used, you may have to open the image file in another window.

John
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:24:41 PM by ggl205 »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2017, 11:16:11 AM »
I was kind of wondering how you'd managed to defeat gravity. Aren't computers great  :? :? :?

Pete

Offline ggl205

« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2017, 12:28:12 PM »
Aren't computers great  :? :? :?

Pete

Love 'em and hate 'em, Pete.

John

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2017, 01:56:41 PM »
John,
Looking at your last picture (they turn right side up in my computer when I open them) is that last bulk head that the , I assume the chute tube, comes through the final shape for the back of your car?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline ggl205

« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »
Rex:

Yes, the last aft bulkhead defines the back of the body and that hole through the back of it is the chute tube. Exhaust will also exit just above the chute tube. Somewhere in there, a push bar will locate. I just need to keep it away from sheets and ropes when they deploy.

John

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2017, 03:32:45 PM »
Originally on the MacKichan-Shultz #136 liner the exhaust and chute tubes were in close proximity through a bulkhead. There was enough vacuum  turbulance at speed behind the bulkhead that was burning the chute lines. Problem was solved by a fairly small diverter plate to point the exhaust in the right direction.
Not trying to tell you how, just hoping to help you avoid future problems.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »
I opened them using the link below the pictures and that put a whole new look on things. When they come out right side up and larger they look great. Nice work John.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2017, 05:07:23 PM »
John,
You know as well as I do that having the back cut off like that is nothing but drag, looks like you may be suffering from the "not deep enough garage" syndrome. I have seen it happen alot when some one gets the car all laid out and if they make the rear body to be long and aero it will not fit in the garage! So they chop it off or make it at such an angle that the air could not possibly follow the body shape. I have even seen it happen because the trailer was not long enough. The Specter streamliner was originally owned by Jr. Kurtz and it had a cut off rear end because the trailer wasn't long enough, it went 310 mph max, Specter bought it and added a real tail to the car and with possibly an additional 2-300 hp went over 410but they didn't care if the trailer was to short.  The back of the car is where the speed is.

Rex
Rex

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2017, 05:28:08 PM »
Yep! That's the same reason the nose & tail come off my liner, so I can close the shed door.
  Sid.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2017, 05:35:18 PM »
At his mom's garage where it was built, Al had to take off the nose, tail piece, rear body support framework with chute tubes and left rear wheel to get the door closed and walk past it.

Ron

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2017, 08:17:21 PM »
Ron,
Al did not compromise. He was one of those salt racers that was a great motor man and also a good aero guy which equals FAST!

Rex
Rex

Offline ggl205

« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2017, 10:06:14 AM »
Rex et al:

I am indeed challenged by space and yes, I have just .125" between that rear bulkhead and my garage door. A continuation of the tail is planned but probably not before the car is sorted. I should mention that once the body is built, that rear bulkhead is removed and replaced with a tube structure leaving air in for induction, a place to escape. I remember a number of Trans Am cars decades ago, wrestling with this same problem; what to do about the back of the car? I think they may have been a rule governing overall length and no room to treat this part of the car properly. Through wind tunnel testing, they found that chopping the back off flush was the best compromise. For now, this and maybe a couple rows of vortex generators will have to do.

On the subject of space; I am so restricted, even my trailer length is way too short. I made the car in two pieces so I can transport it on a short trailer. Some assembly will be nessisary but batteries will be included.

John

Offline ggl205

« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2017, 10:12:41 AM »
Originally on the MacKichan-Shultz #136 liner the exhaust and chute tubes were in close proximity through a bulkhead. There was enough vacuum  turbulance at speed behind the bulkhead that was burning the chute lines. Problem was solved by a fairly small diverter plate to point the exhaust in the right direction.
Not trying to tell you how, just hoping to help you avoid future problems.

Ron

Hi Ron:

Yup, that exhaust could be a real problem and thank you for the diverter idea. Due to tight packaging, my chute tether loop is very close to the cylinder head. I managed a little air space and some flexible heat shield to keep from cooking that loop. All part of sorting the car but suggestions from the group are welcome to eliminate as many potential problems as possible.

John