Author Topic: G/F class lakester in Wichita, Kansas  (Read 220936 times)

Offline MAYOMAN

Re: G/F class lakester in Wichita, Kansas
« Reply #315 on: July 23, 2017, 08:12:13 AM »
John, torque those nuts to 42 lb-ft. Ft-lb is energy. Lb-ft is torque. Just a fetish of mine after editing technical documents for a century.  :cheers:
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #316 on: July 23, 2017, 08:14:13 AM »
ah so now I know
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #317 on: July 23, 2017, 08:20:55 AM »
John, torque those nuts to 42 lb-ft. Ft-lb is energy. Lb-ft is torque. Just a fetish of mine after editing technical documents for a century.  :cheers:

Shoot, Dick, all this time I thought it was just a British thing to call torque lb-ft.

John

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #318 on: July 23, 2017, 09:33:56 AM »
And all this time I thought the Britts used Newtons per Meter N/m which would probably be the same relationship as Lb/Ft...  :|
luckily everyone makes the same mistake so it is universally misused.... (OK, everyone but Dick)  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #319 on: July 23, 2017, 10:00:32 AM »
where is Slim---it sounds to me it is more like nouns vs. verbs
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #320 on: July 23, 2017, 10:02:10 AM »
Dick, do we all have to get our torque wrenches re-calibrated of just wait for the click?  :? :-o :-D
Devil is in the details! :evil: :evil: :evil:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #321 on: July 23, 2017, 10:10:59 AM »
Where is Slim?  I'm sitting here, eating a bowl of Frosted Flakes and wondering how the heck I'm gonna enter the fray.

I think I won't.  PASS.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #322 on: July 24, 2017, 08:42:15 AM »
Sorry about the minutiae, but since we are all working with torque, whether that produced by our wheel-driving power plants, or to safely tighten our fasteners, it is about time that we all use the correct terminology.

Torque is defined as the radius (r) times the force (F). So, it is obviously NOT ft/lb (lb/ft?) or N/m (Newtons divided by meters).
Sorry, Stainless, it is N-m, not N/m. Actually N "dot" m, but I can't find that math symbol in my font. The "-" is commonly used in texts.
I was the engineering Manager at Stearns Electric for 9 years designing magnetic clutches and brakes. We manufactured TORQUE. I still find it incredible that even torque wrench manufacturers get it ass backwards.

What is really important here is that John's wheels remain firmly attached to this marvelous lakester - and the engine produces enough torque at the appropriate speed to get his 300 mi/h hat.

GO JOHNNY G!
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #323 on: July 24, 2017, 10:29:18 AM »
Mayoman, I usually don't bug the hot rodders about ft-lb & lb-ft [no caps] but the engineers  - that's another matter - especially the ones that can't spell hysteresis!  :-o :-D

N•m

To get the dot: hold the ALT key and type 0149

• ALT0149
° ALT0176
± ALT0177
² ALT0178
³ ALT0179
µ ALT0181
Ø ALT0216
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline tauruck

« Reply #324 on: July 24, 2017, 10:45:31 AM »
The phenomenon in which the value of a physical property lags behind changes in the effect causing it, as for instance when magnetic induction lags behind the magnetizing force.
I Googled it!!!!. More confusssed than ever now. :-D

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #325 on: July 24, 2017, 01:17:58 PM »
"With lube" changes torque value depending on what lube is used. Too slick can excede metal strenght before torque is reached. Several sites give charts, don't remember off the top of my head.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #326 on: July 24, 2017, 02:33:53 PM »
The phenomenon in which the value of a physical property lags behind changes in the effect causing it, as for instance when magnetic induction lags behind the magnetizing force.
I Googled it!!!!. More confusssed than ever now. :-D

An easy example of hysteresis is something that's triggered on by one condition but then not triggered off when that first condition is no longer valid.  Like a radiator fan... turns on at 200°F but turns off at 190°.  The 10° gap between on and off means that you get a clean on/off.  Otherwise, if the on/off point was the same temp, you could see the fan turning on and off as temp floats around the trigger point. 

Now back to being on topic again...
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline tauruck

« Reply #327 on: July 25, 2017, 02:05:34 PM »
Hey John, what's the latest?. :cheers:

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #328 on: July 25, 2017, 08:53:57 PM »
Mike, I have been at Stainless' house shaving front tires for the past two days. What a job! The wrap guy stopped by and said we can stop sanding (great news!), that surface finish is good enough to wrap. Over the next week, I will be finishing up all chassis details and begin stripping the car for chassis paint.

John

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #329 on: July 25, 2017, 09:52:01 PM »
Mike, I have been at Stainless' house shaving front tires for the past two days. What a job! The wrap guy stopped by and said we can stop sanding (great news!), that surface finish is good enough to wrap. Over the next week, I will be finishing up all chassis details and begin stripping the car for chassis paint.

John

Fun job shaving tires :-D We are getting better at it :cheers:

John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20