Author Topic: G/F class lakester in Wichita, Kansas  (Read 220667 times)

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Re: G/F class lakester in Wichita, Kansas
« Reply #210 on: April 27, 2017, 02:27:40 PM »
John, measure with a laser, mark it with chalk and cut it with a sharp axe!  :-D :-D
BTW: After cutting three times it will still be too short!  :-o :-o

You know me too well, Woody.

John

Offline ggl205

« Reply #211 on: April 27, 2017, 02:51:33 PM »
OK, this ain't Saturday but I found a little time to fab a critical bulkhead. There remained some doubt as to how tech would interpret the word "isolate" for fuel components so Stainless came over and suggested I build a formidable barrier between driver, fuel tank and fuel lines. After noodling out a few alternatives, Rob left giving me good information to work with. The rules say all fuel components must be isolated from the driver compartment. Isolation means to set apart or stand alone so I figured the two .125" thick 4130 bulkheads welded in the chassis was sufficient "isolation". Turns out what tech may want is something more akin to the firewall. Not fluid tight but close. I have attached a couple of images depicting my (and Stainless) solution to this problem. Keep in mind, the two panels on either side of the footbox are not installed yet but will be there when the car is complete. Also, Rob suggested I weld in two thick wall round tubes that fuel lines run through if for no other reason than to absolutely insure tech would love this. One more trip to The Yard for thick wall tubing.

John 

Offline tauruck

« Reply #212 on: April 28, 2017, 02:07:20 AM »
Looks good John.
Don't listen to Woody. He's just full of "air"!!!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Offline ggl205

« Reply #213 on: May 02, 2017, 08:09:50 PM »
I have been debating for some time now which dampers to use. Koni double adjustable or Penske doubles. The Koni dampers need rebuilding and the Penske's are near new. But the budget is getting tighter so the Penske's get the nod. Full extension is a little longer on the Penske dampers so I will have to use droop limiters for sure. If I don't, the bottom pokes through my belly pan in full droop.

John
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:11:39 PM by ggl205 »

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #214 on: May 03, 2017, 09:19:52 AM »
Looks good John.
Don't listen to Woody. He's just full of "air"!!!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Mike, just remember that all forms of racing have only three airflow regimes: Inner, Outer & Hot!  :-D :-D :-D
And certainly not in equal amounts!  :-o :-o :-o :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline tauruck

« Reply #215 on: May 03, 2017, 09:32:02 AM »
Looks great John. Nice shocks.
Awesome build man. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline ggl205

« Reply #216 on: May 06, 2017, 09:23:47 AM »
One of the scary moments is when you have to cut up the body shell you agonizingly built. Yesterday was such a day but with the skills of friend Glen Ediger, we got the job done. Here are two forward sections ready for mounting. Note that my bulkheads need a little adjusting to fit (lol).

John  
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 10:15:10 AM by ggl205 »

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #217 on: May 10, 2017, 12:06:46 PM »
It's easier to remove metal than to add. Still looking good. Can't wait to see it on the salt in September. There will be salt in September, right?
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline ggl205

« Reply #218 on: May 10, 2017, 12:26:36 PM »
I sure hope so, Dick.

Offline ggl205

« Reply #219 on: May 11, 2017, 11:28:22 AM »
I still have a bit more time left to fiddle with getting body seams perfect. Gaps are easy to get right but matching radii are not. If I can't make these areas better, I may have to follow a good friends advice and use duct tape over seams I cannot make perfect.

John

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #220 on: May 11, 2017, 12:16:05 PM »
In the picture, the joint on the right, at the top, is not quite right. With the Dzus's buttoned up (they can change the profile) use a ruler or metal strip to see whether the front of the joint is low or the rear is high. If the front needs built up, if not with cloth, I would use Kitty Hair or similar, fiber re-inforced filler, instead of just filler. If the rear needs to come down to get it to match, you may need to add material to the underside to maintain body thickness and strength. Do your sanding with all Dzus's in place so the profiles are right. You will scuff some Dzus's but if they are all the same length, you can transfer the scuffed ones to where you are working at the time so you don't scuff too many.
Good luck

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline ggl205

« Reply #221 on: May 11, 2017, 05:17:07 PM »
Ron:

Thank you for help getting these seams straight. I went back out and juggled shims until I obtained a balance between the two parts in question (see image). It would have been better to have these two Dzus fasteners directly across from one another but my clamp must have slipped while drilling. Even when these Dzus plates are in properly, getting them the correct distance from the body is something of a crap shoot. Can't begin to tell you how many times I measured these thinking they were perfect only to find one is a few thousandths high or low. Shimming has been the answer to get the right balance. All this aside, one pass down the track and everything changes.

John

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #222 on: May 11, 2017, 06:12:27 PM »
In the picture, the joint on the right, at the top, is not quite right. With the Dzus's buttoned up (they can change the profile) use a ruler or metal strip to see whether the front of the joint is low or the rear is high. If the front needs built up, if not with cloth, I would use Kitty Hair or similar, fiber re-inforced filler, instead of just filler. If the rear needs to come down to get it to match, you may need to add material to the underside to maintain body thickness and strength. Do your sanding with all Dzus's in place so the profiles are right. You will scuff some Dzus's but if they are all the same length, you can transfer the scuffed ones to where you are working at the time so you don't scuff too many.
Good luck

Ron

Tough crowd!

My friend photographer Simon davidson told me a young guy was looking at our tank at the lake one year ....
" is this a real one?"....
"Yeah" said Simon, "Of course it's a real one"
"Like from back in the day? How old is it?"
"Well, I think it's less than ten years old"
"Huh?" said the kid, who obviously thought it was from the fifties or something
"How come it looks so f#%$^$&"... :-D :-D :-D :-D

It's not just "the first run down the track" for us, there's the hundred miles of terrible road into the lake, it's beats the hail out of everything...

yours is looking good btw. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline ggl205

« Reply #223 on: May 12, 2017, 09:42:31 PM »
Finally found the right tool to countersink my Dzus fasteners flush. It is a simple spot facer. The Dzus fasteners I am using were originally found on old war bird aircraft. These are some very nice fasteners but do require an aluminum grommet and special tool to swedge them in place. But these flush mount fasteners do not have a bevel under the head that fits in a dimpled panel. Rather, they are flat under the head so a spot facer works very well. Here is what the tool looks like (like you guys don't know what a spot facer looks like) and the end result. Thank goodness for The Yard.

John
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 09:44:28 PM by ggl205 »

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #224 on: May 13, 2017, 09:21:04 AM »
I thought The Yard was gone?????
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams