Author Topic: G/F class lakester in Wichita, Kansas  (Read 220966 times)

Offline Podunk

Re: G/F class lakester in Wichita, Kansas
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2017, 09:17:46 PM »
MM,
Hope you got um all out before you fired that muther up.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2017, 08:49:44 AM »
Building a mold-less body with ABS is something new to us so a few unexpected problems were expected. Everything was going well until I sprayed two coats of EVA mold release. First coat was a light tack and the second much heavier. Prior to using EVA, I asked the supplier if it would react negatively with ABS. He said no problem (where have you heard that before?) so we proceeded. Well, EVA does react mildly to ABS in that it softens and swells it some. After just two coats, large distortions began forming and those of us involved in this project were noticeably bummed. Now what do we do? After a period of discussion, we decided to be good Boy Scouts and do nothing until the next day. It was a cool night, around 40 degrees, and I hoped that would help shrink these distortions out of the ABS.  Cool air or just more drying time, all distortions were gone by morning and our positive countenance returned.

I post this in case others try this method. I must say that when observing these distortions, we darn near tore everything apart. A little patience went a long, long way and returned the project to normal. Tomorrow we are supposed to experience 70 degrees and a good day to lay up fiberglass. Now, I hope epoxy resin plays nice with an EVA coated ABS.

John

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2017, 10:40:09 AM »
John, this just confirms my mantra that everything has consequences!  :-o :-D
We are all itching with anticipation for your fiberglass lay up!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2017, 11:52:57 AM »
John, I have never used EVA but PVA, or polyvinyl alcohol, works well. I have had good luck using aluminum foil over foam to get a smoother surface and a clean release.  Your build is looking really nice. I hope we have good salt this year for racing :cheers:

http://www.fibreglast.com/product/PVA_Release_Film_13/Mold_Releases

Johnboy
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:03:14 PM by Speed Limit 1000 »
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline ggl205

« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2017, 04:32:35 PM »
Woody:

Hah! We will literally be itching to get this glass work done.

Johnboy:

Thank you for the kind comments. Building this body has been an adventure into the unknown. So far, so good but we ain't done yet. BTW, fiberglass materials have gotten expensive!.

John

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2017, 10:15:47 PM »
Sometimes it helps to make something goofy, like a flower pot,to see how the system works before you try something important.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2017, 11:25:28 PM »
We used PLA printed molds on our fairings between the wheel pants and wing and fuselage and wing.
We covered them with PVA then two layers of 7781 glass w epoxy resin at 45° to each other.
We then popped them off the PLA, rinsed the any residue of PLA off the inside, scuffed up inside and layed up a couple of more layers of 7781 for strength.
We also kept the stiffening layers away from the edges a bit so that the glass was very thin where it attached to the wing making body work a breeze.
We also had to super glue our PLA pieces together as our printer was 12 x 12 x 5.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline ggl205

« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2017, 07:46:15 AM »
We used PLA printed molds on our fairings between the wheel pants and wing and fuselage and wing.
We covered them with PVA then two layers of 7781 glass w epoxy resin at 45° to each other.
We then popped them off the PLA, rinsed the any residue of PLA off the inside, scuffed up inside and layed up a couple of more layers of 7781 for strength.
We also kept the stiffening layers away from the edges a bit so that the glass was very thin where it attached to the wing making body work a breeze.
We also had to super glue our PLA pieces together as our printer was 12 x 12 x 5.

We took a similar approach with our nose. The printer available to us mandated doing it in six sections, then super glue them together. We are using three laminations of Hexcel 7500 for strength and 7781 for finish. I had planned on using 120 for finishing but my supplier had a near full roll of 7781 he wanted to get rid of at a knock down price. A little heavier than 120 but at $2 per yard, I could not pass on that.

I like how you oriented laminations at 45 degrees. Very strong structure that way and we my very well do the same. This is my first experience at fiberglass so keep your fingers crossed.

John
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:48:13 AM by ggl205 »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2017, 08:57:13 AM »
looks and sounds way more than beginners luck to me-- this little baby is going to be sexy
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline ggl205

« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2017, 04:07:47 PM »
I sure hope it all turns out right, Sparky. We managed to get one layup done today but ambient wasn't quite as warm as forecast. Much of the day was 55 degrees. 4:1 mix for epoxy and hardener was spec but not enough for 55 degree air. It did give more time to saturate mat and squeegee out excess resin, however.

It was decided to let this layer harden before moving on. After three layers is completed, we will mix a batch of microspheres, fill small cavities, then sand. The final layup will be a finishing layer. Lots more work to be done but not sure I will get this warm weather for very much longer.

Offline ggl205

« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2017, 10:49:29 AM »
Well, the first layup was completed on Monday and awaiting the slow cure time for epoxy resin. Next layup will be on the next 70+ day we get. Attached is a new 3D rendering of what the car will look like. Those with sharp eyes can see the exhaust bubble is backward. That will be fixed soon.

John

Online salt27

« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2017, 11:34:59 AM »
John, If the 3D rendering is accurate there may be a forward visibility issue.

At least that's what I see when making a strait line from where I think the eye port of the helmet would be in relation to the front cowling.

Hope I'm wrong.
Love the name "Kansas Twister"   :cheers:

Don

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2017, 11:50:06 AM »
Making the fin taller and extended more to the rear may help your high-speed stability, John.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2017, 11:53:10 AM »
We had some glass that would not quite cure.  Months later we put it outside and let some summer heat and UV work on it after 3 days it no longer "seemed" green
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline ggl205

« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2017, 12:40:39 PM »
John, If the 3D rendering is accurate there may be a forward visibility issue.

At least that's what I see when making a strait line from where I think the eye port of the helmet would be in relation to the front cowling.

Hope I'm wrong.
Love the name "Kansas Twister"   :cheers:

Don

You guys really do have sharp eyes (lol). Don, visibility may be a problem as is. I jumped in the car early on in the build process and thought the same thing. If this proves true, we will extend the polycarbonate forward until we get it right.