Author Topic: 13yr old daughter wants to go for a record  (Read 13895 times)

Offline sockjohn

Re: 13yr old daughter wants to go for a record
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 11:25:27 PM »
Leathers are going to be a recurring cost at that age due to growth, up not out like us old guys.

Offline clayd

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 01:12:48 PM »
I might actually be lucky on the leathers side of things.  She grew fast.  With that said she is now going to out grow her first set we have yet to ever get before the first race  :)

Currently we are looking at a newer xr100.  Any thoughts on running that for p-p?

Offline TheBaron

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 02:07:46 PM »
XR100 is a nice little bike BUT,,,,

Any old two-stroke with a pipe is going to be way stronger and faster that the fastest 4-strokes when you are dealing with bikes under 500cc…

Robert in California

Offline half-fast racer

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 03:55:11 PM »
Find a Kawasaki Green Streak Scrambler - 100cc, 18.5 hp (guaranteed, with dyno sheet from the factory with each bike) at 10,500 rpm. Rocket ship! They owned the dirt tracks in SoCal at the time.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 10:10:21 PM »
Yea, I remember those.  They had rotary valves as I recall and they were fast.

Offline clayd

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2015, 07:53:42 PM »
Yamaha made a 100 cc twin that could really go fast with some good tuning.

Oh I just looked this bike up.  That sounds like a very good idea.  the Yamaha LS2 looks to be what you talking about. 

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2015, 08:50:10 PM »
Just check closely on the displacement of the selected bike. Often times so called one hundreds are just over so would have to run in the next higher class.  :-o :-o :-D

Pete

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2015, 10:13:03 PM »
http://motocrossactionmag.com/more-stuff/vintage-mx-bikes/classic-iron-1970-kawasaki-g31m-100-centurion-baby-green-streak
Good luck finding parts for these old 2 smokers.

You might consider my engine choice, the Kawasaki KX100.  Kawi claims 27hp for the new ones ( :-o oh, yeah, right.  maybe on a good day measured at the crank - maybe).  We expect hope mine to be pushing 30rwhp at 14000rpm with more dyno time ($$$).  They are easy to come by, cheap, go like stink and the frames can be easily modified.  Plus they have a 6 speed trans and heavy clutches, sprockets, etc. are just a mouse click away.  Avoid any with the common big bore kit mods that will put her into the 125 class.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 10:47:49 PM by sofadriver »
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2015, 01:27:50 AM »
My son rode a 150cc Honda single when he set his record in 175cc Modified Partial Streamliner, Production Engine.  This class no longer exists.  We came home and we built the engine into a 175cc engine with a ported head, bigger piston and cylinder sleeve, a cam, and a more free flowing exhaust.  About half of the parts were sent back to suppliers as being not what we ordered or horribly poor quality.  I was not being fussy, either.  I just wanted an engine that would run for a few miles without blowing apart.  That little peanut motor caused me more grief and heartache than any engine I have built in the last decade.  I do not like to write a negative sounding post like this, but this is what happened.  No more little Honda hop-ups for this guy.     

Offline wfojohn

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2015, 09:51:28 AM »
clayd,

The small twin LS2 100 is not a good choice unless staying stock. It is very limited/difficult to modify if more hp is wanted. Parts suck, intake port is very restrictive, cylinders are all cast iron meaning more difficult to port, stock pistons are cast not forged. Now the real problem is the crank and very few of us have the proper tools to rebuild it, rod top eyes are not drilled for oiling etc. I have done a couple of these and probably still have stuff floating around but its a bad choice unless you insist on it, yes it can be made fast but take Sofadrivers advice, the KX is modern and parts of good quality are availble, its water-cooled, modern day tuners know the engine so you have a choice of builders if you want more. With all that said I know if a couple people read this they will think I went off my rocker because they know I am a Yamaha guy. lol

Good luck and good on ya getting that little gal on the salt.

Offline Pippi2

• "Do or do not.... there is no try"
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2016, 03:29:45 PM »
The minimum age for a rider is 12 years. A rider must be 14 years or older to ride motorcycles above 250cc. The age of the rider is determined as of the date of the meet. All minors shall complete the minor release form, signed by BOTH parents/guardians with their medical and entry forms. No rider under the legal age of majority may compete without the written consent (signature on the liability release and entry forms) of his/her parents or legal guardians present at the meet. An authorized adult acting on behalf of the parent or legal guardian shall provide a notarized statement indicating they have the authority by the parent or legal guardian to be responsible for the minor during the meet.

What bike number would she like?

See you on the Salt,
Linnea
BMST Registration

Offline DaveB

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2016, 10:27:16 PM »
I agree with sofadriver and others that a modern 2 stroke will be much easier to make power with. The KX100 sounds like a good possibility. There are some surprisingly powerful 125 street bikes distributed in Europe and some in the US. Brands like Cagiva and Apilia are in the record books for their 125cc street bikes. Some of these manufacturers may make 100cc versions of these little two stroke screamers. Looking around Ebay in US, UK, Canada can really open up a new world.  For something even faster, many Honda RS125s (actual GP race bikes) have been parted out and the engines are for sale quite reasonable if you know where to look.

Look carefully at the rules for production class. Some organizations require street legal bikes in production class so this leaves the KX100 dirt bike out.

If your Daughter is not already riding dirt bikes please start now. Maybe buy cheep dirt bikes for both of you just to goof around on. I know a 60 MPH record doesn't sound very fast but if it's wet or soft (not asphalt) skill and experience is required. The old playing in a mud hole, doing donuts, climbing hills, doing power-slides across the sand is something I would hope every rider can do before they go for a record. That way when she gets her bike sideways on the salt, the way to correct is already programmed in from experience. Modern production 125 class records are over 100 MPH. Thats just a jump above the 100 class. Please prepare ahead to be safe and HAVE FUN!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 10:36:26 PM by DaveB »
Everything I know about opera, I learned from Bugs Bunny.

Offline Freud

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2016, 01:48:56 AM »
Dave, you are spot on. Now is the time for her to be riding

in the dirt. She will learn a feel for the bike that is so beneficial.

Any old bike will do as long as she learns the feel of the bike under her.

The reason that American riders did so well when they went to Europe

is that they had ridden in the dirt. The back end hanging out and then

later the front end pushing never bothered them. Then Kenny Roberts

opened his school in Spain and the world wide riders came to learn the

feel of a sliding bike. She too needs that experience and it won't come

in the first week. She certainly doesn't want to learn to ride on the salt

if she is in a hurry to get a record.

FREUD
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 02:42:14 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2016, 12:38:26 PM »
Dr. Freud, Are you riding a dirt bike to get ready?
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2016, 12:57:38 PM »
It's still too cold and wet in the Northwest for Freud to do any bike riding.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!