Author Topic: 13yr old daughter wants to go for a record  (Read 13880 times)

Offline clayd

• New folks
13yr old daughter wants to go for a record
« on: December 15, 2015, 07:01:56 PM »
So I first want to say thank you to everyone on here.  There is a huge amount of great info.  Second.  I need some help. 

My daughter has set a goal to go after a record next year.  I am thinking i want to limit her to the 100cc or 125cc class and I am thinking of staying with production class.  We are still working on our budget but any info or guidance is greatly appreciated.

One question I am trying to figure out is how much it costs to sign up for racing (entry fee)  I realize the other costs can be all over the board but any fixed cost info would be a huge help.

Currently we are thinking of trying to go after the p-p class or the p-pc on a xr100.  Thoughts?

Again thank you all for any help and for just taking the time to read this.  If we cant make racing work this year you can count on use being out there volunteering. If anyone in the SLC area ever need extra shop hands before please let me know as well.  We have so much to learn and are more than whiling to get a little dirty to earn some advice.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: 13yr old daughter wants to go for a record
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 07:54:45 PM »
Does she have a drivers license?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 08:32:07 PM »
I would figure on $650 (entry and AMA membership) plus transportation, hotel, food, and a variety of miscellaneous costs that will arise along the way.  IIRC BMST entry comes with one extra pass, add for additional folks. 
Safety gear will set you back a bit as well....
Start reading the rules
Racing with the kids is worth every penny you spend  :cheers: 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 08:46:19 PM »
My son was around that age when he first raced at BMST.  A 150cc Honda worked well for him.  It was simple enough for him to do the build by himself.     

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 10:01:52 PM »
clayd...  Glen's question needs to be answered first...
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 10:26:51 PM »
This is under Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials and I think their rules may be different.

Pete

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 01:14:17 AM »
I believe the answer to glens question would be no. 13 years old is to young to get a driver's license.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 02:14:06 AM »
Go to the homepage for landracing.com and click the link to the BMST.  Root around till you find the AMA rules and look on page 15.  She can race a smaller displacement bike.

My son's entry required a release form or two to be signed by my wife (the boy's mother) and me in front of a notary.  They needed to make sure that both parents were OK with his adventure. 

Offline clayd

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 03:14:37 PM »
No she doesnt have a licence yet but really wishes she did.  Luckily for Bonneville that isnt needed.  Being 13 she is limited to 250cc and under but i think for a first attempt for someone that is also learning how to ride this year my limit of 125cc will work.

Thank you for the cost info.  Living here is SLC will help out a ton on the travel cost side of things.  We have been spending a lot of time in the rule book and are finding areas that we will have to figure out. 

Any recommendations on what class we should start with?  We are thinking p-p but there are so many things we just dont know I am open to any info.

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 05:58:44 PM »
I think that you should fully support your daughter's ambition to break a Bonneville record. From looking at the record book, it looks like the 100cc PP is a soft record at 66.7 mph. With a little tweaking, and if your daughter has a small frame, that record would be easy to break. As a teenager I used to go down the freeway at well over 70 on my stock 1967 Honda CL 90. From there with the same bike, you can go on to other classes (like the P-AF at 42 mph). That being said, the salt is not like the asphalt.

There should be plenty of used bikes you can buy for under $1000, do some legal modifications to carbs, gearing, tires, etc to make it go faster than stock. Are you a mechanic?

So just settle on a bike as the platform and then come back here and ask how to make it go faster.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 06:03:06 PM »
One more thing on choosing a bike; Check the specs before buying to make sure it does not go over the cc limit for your class. For instance if a 90cc is bored out to 100.5 cc, it must go in the 125cc class which you don't want.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 06:36:06 PM »
This is a bike I threw together for a friend's son , he still holds a record he set on that bike, He's a young man these days, and is riding a Kenny Roberts TZ 750 replica next year, so I guess he's "all grown up" now,,,,
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline makr

• I make my own rules
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 07:45:09 PM »
clayd, I live in Holladay. I have run BMST for a bunch of years on a small displacement bike. You should stop by and I will show you the way. May even have a almost done chassis that would work. 801-809-4078 Mark

Ride fast, safety last.

https://speedofcheeseracing.com/

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 09:21:41 PM »
At 13, I was involved in the Soap Box Derby.  Both of my grandfather's chipped in - one as a sponsor, the other with his woodworking skills and the use of his shop.  My mom hauled me over to my grandfather's shop numerous times, and my dad rallied his friends in support, which led to my car being delivered to the race in the bed of a 429 CJ Ranchero - certainly the coolest tow vehicle at the race.

I was eliminated in the first heat, and it was 41 years before I finally was able to hang my hat on an automotive racing success, but I wouldn't trade those days for anything.

I don't recall there being a single girl involved in 1973, but there have been numerous female champions since then.   

Best of luck to your daughter - this will be genuinely special for her, you and your family. 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 09:42:25 PM »
Yamaha made a 100 cc twin that could really go fast with some good tuning.