Author Topic: 2016 SCTA Rule Changes  (Read 21142 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
2016 SCTA Rule Changes
« on: December 01, 2015, 08:17:01 PM »
Here they are - per Dan Warner.  Thanks as always for getting them to us by the end of November (I'm tardy in posting them).

EDIT:  I see that lots of stuff didn't make the transfer - highlighting new stuff, for instance.  I'll post this on the home page of the website, too -- maybe it'll be okay there.

Jon a/k/a SSS the Happy Wittol

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA TIMING
ASSOCIATION
Presents 2016 Speed Trials Rules
NOTICE:

Retain current text to:
The rule change process is an ongoing one. Any active
SCTA-BNI member may submit a request for rule change or clarification at any time by filling out the proper form
on-line at www.scta-bni.org. When all appropriate research is completed, issues will be put on the agenda for discussion at the next scheduled Rules Meeting and the results from that meeting will be presented to the SCTA board for approval. Submissions must be received by
September 1st of any year to be considered for that year's agenda
Retain current text to:
1.H   RECORD BODY AND CLASS CERTIFICATION:
All components shall be available for inspection upon
request.  Provision to attach a wire seal to the engine shall be provided by the entrant.  Following initial measurement and certification of the engine, a wire seal can be attached to the engine so that the engine need not be disassembled in the event additional records are set.  Engine seals shall be good for one year (365 days), renewable twice for a total of three years from the date of issue. At that time the seal will be declared invalid and the engine must be measured. If the seal shows any sign of damage or tampering, the seal will be declared invalid and the engine must be measured. Engines may be measured and sealed by an SCTA-BNI official or their designate.
Retain current text to:
SECTION 2 CAR COMPETITION
SPECIFICATIONS
2.A    ENGINES:
Any internal combustion engine using either a two-stroke or four-stroke Otto cycle or Diesel cycle may run in any
category, except for Vintage Engine classes, see 2.A.1,
hereinafter described. In XF, XO, XXF, XXO, V4 and V4F
classes, non-production engines or after-market blocks (even though they accept production crankshafts, cams and
cylinder heads) may not be used. All other engines that transmit the power through the wheels only may run in Ω class. Only Streamliners and Unlimited Diesel Trucks may use more than one engine at the same time. For any engine to be considered for cubic inch (or cc) requirements, the engine shall have contributed to the propulsion of the vehicle during the entire run. Reaction propulsion engines are prohibited.
Retain current text to:
2.B   FUELS:
GASOLINE CLASSES:
The SCTA defines gasoline to contain no nitrogen-bearing compounds, no propylene oxide, no ethylene oxide, and no more than 10% methanol. The contest board may choose any test or combination of tests to assure that liquid fuels used in GASOLINE classes comply with these specifications.  The tests may include, but will not be limited to, testing for the dielectric constant (D.C.) value, color comparisons, specific gravity, gas chromatography, mass spectrometry, and/or other testing methods. The addition of compounds containing oxygen, such as ethanol, methanol and other oxygenates, may produce a mixture with a D.C. greater than 15.0 as measured with a Kavlico Model FT-K01 “DC
Meter” zeroed on reagent grade, pure CYCLOHEXANE. 15.0 is the current SCTA acceptable dielectric ceiling. Most
gasoline will check under this ceiling. At a non-“EVENT GASOLINE” meet, any gasoline that measures 15.0 or less on the D.C. scale and meets all other SCTA requirements will be allowed.
Retain current text to:
When a specific class is not available, engines using LPG, natural gas or diesel fuel will compete in the equivalent gasoline class. Diesel fuels may also be tested.
Retain current text to:
2.P   FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE:
Four-wheel drive systems are allowed only in Special
Construction Category and Production Category where the competing vehicle was originally equipped with Full Time four-wheel drive.

Retain current text to:
SECTION 5 CAR CLASSES
5.A   SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION CATEGORY
This category is the pinnacle of the straightaway racer’s art. It contains three main groups. In the automobile group are the unlimited Streamliners with a 4+ wheel configuration and open-wheeled Lakesters and in the motorcycle group are the Streamliner and Streamliner Sidecar classes. These classes allow both blown and un-blown gas or fuel engines. These are all-out straightaway vehicles with non-stock
engine blocks allowed (with the exception of specific
Vintage engine classes).  Innovation is encouraged within
the rules.  Modified production bodies are forbidden.
Four-wheel drive is allowed in the automotive group only.
Add new paragraph to end of 5.A
Vehicles in this category must have fire doors or panels in the body, clearly marked to allow access to the engine compartment and chassis. The fire doors/panels must have a minimum diameter of 4 inches. Competitors have until January 1, 2017 to comply with this provision.
Retain current text to:

5.A.5   STEAM VEHICLE - /S
   (Bonneville Only)

Retain current text to:
5.B.1   MODIFIED ROADSTER - /BFMR, /FMR,          /BGMR, /GMR
Wings are allowed. The wing width, including side plates, shall not be wider than the inner vertical plane of the rear tires. The maximum allowable height of the wing shall not
exceed 65 inches from the ground as measured to the
highest part of the wing. The rear of the wing, including side plates, may not be set back more than 18 inches behind the rear of the body.  The total wing area (measured by the
fore-to-aft dimension times the side-to-side dimension on the top surface) shall not exceed 1152 square inches. Multiple element wings are NOT
allowed. Spoilers and four-wheel drive systems are NOT
allowed.
Retain current text to:
5.C   CLASSIC CATEGORY
This category encompasses American and foreign coupes and sedans produced between 1928 and 1981 with a
production rate of at least 500 vehicles of the same model for sale to the general public. Entries shall be unaltered in height, width, and contour with all stock panels, e.g., hoods, fenders, doors, etc., mounted in their original relationship
to each other.  A generic
requirement for this category is the car shall have been
originally produced with factory-installed seating for 4 or more people, i.e., adults or children. If the car was produced and sold with 2 seats on some models and 4 seats (including
jump seats) on other models, the car will be classified as a Coupe and Sedan. For reasons of economy and historical authenticity, certain electronic engine technologies are not allowed. All entrants running in Classic classes must have pictures of the car as produced with their Log Book for certification purposes.
Retain current text to:
5.F   DIESEL TRUCK CATEGORY
5.F.1   UNLIMITED DIESEL TRUCK - /UDT
This class is for diesel-powered trucks only, modified as to be illegal for the Modified Diesel truck class. Any frame and running gear may be used and multiple engines are allowed. The body may be highly modified.
Trucks with a race weight and GVW rating more than 14,500 lbs. are allowed unlimited engine displacement. If the truck manufacturer uses a pickup truck cab, documentation must be provided for the GVW of the donor truck. Full size trucks are limited to a maximum of 750 cid. Trucks based on mid/mini chassis
are limited to a maximum of 500 cid. There are NO
engine displacement class breaks; all vehicles shall
compete against the same record. Vehicles that meet the 500 and 750 cid requirement may compete at El Mirage.
Retain current text to:
5.F.2   MODIFIED DIESEL TRUCK - /MDT
This class is for diesel-powered trucks only, with modified bodies not otherwise legal for Diesel Truck class.
The body may not be altered in height, width or length. Truck frame and running gear shall be used. Trucks
shall have a GVW rating of 14,500 lbs. or greater and have a minimum race weight of 14,500 lbs. are allowed unlimited engine displacement.  Full size trucks are limited to a
maximum of 750 cid. Trucks based on mid/mini chassis are limited to a maximum of 500 cid. There are NO engine
displacement class breaks. All vehicles shall compete against the same record.

SECTION 7 MOTORCYCLE
COMPETITION SPECIFICATIONS
Retain current text to:
7.G   SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION – A, APS
The Special Construction classes are intended for
purpose-built race bikes, not production bikes with minor modifications. A special construction frame is unlimited in design except for the class requirements of this section. These classes include factory-produced road racing or any other racing “works” models which were not available to the public.
Retain current text to end.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

LittleLiner

Re: 2016 SCTA Rule Changes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 06:44:19 PM »
. . . . .  I'll post this on the home page of the website, too -- maybe it'll be okay there.

Jon I don't see it on the homepage . . . Am I asking too soon?  :-)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 07:08:01 PM »
Yeah.  During one of the resests of the website bob c. changed passwords -- and I can't read what the heck I wrote.  Good burglar proofing, though. . .'cause they couldn't control the site from my 'puter.  Why they'd want to is another question.

Anyway - I'm asking for said passwords and will get Dan's stuff posted soon.  Thanks.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

LittleLiner

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 07:22:33 PM »
Yeah.  During one of the resests of the website bob c. changed passwords -- and I can't read what the heck I wrote.  Good burglar proofing, though. . .'cause they couldn't control the site from my 'puter.  Why they'd want to is another question.

Anyway - I'm asking for said passwords and will get Dan's stuff posted soon.  Thanks.

OK Jon . . . . Thanks

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 07:42:16 PM »
It's also on http://www.scta-bni.org/, directly under "News Flash."

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline awelker

• www.vonwelker.com
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 04:35:04 PM »
After reading over the rule changes the only thing that I see I will need to address is this in regards to the special construction category:

"Vehicles in this category must have fire doors or panels in the body, clearly marked to allow access to the engine compartment and chassis. The fire doors/panels must have a minimum diameter of 4 inches. Competitors have until January 1, 2017 to comply with this provision."

I have no problem with incorporating fire doors into my bellytank, sounds like a good idea to have fire extinguisher access.  However, I feel like this should have applied beyond the special construction class. A rear engine modified roadster or even a roadster with a dzus fastened hood has no better access to put an engine fire out than a lakester or streamliner.  To me it seems this should have been a requirement to any vehicle with anything more than an standard car with OEM hood with hood pins.

Anyone have any thoughts?

-Andy

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 06:54:13 PM »
I concur!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 08:07:36 PM »
Good thinking Andy!

Pete

Offline RichFox

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 08:17:19 PM »
i think the reason they called out these cars, is that they are often more difficult to get in and out of than a roadster. However, requirement or not, nothing is stopping anyone from putting fire doors all over their car if they want to. You can put them on your push truck if you like. You don't need rules to do what you think is right.

gkabbt

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 10:05:04 PM »

Andy, I'm with Pete on this one.....Good thinking!
In this form of racing, we need to err on the side of safety!

Gregg

Offline desotoman

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 10:19:18 PM »
I don't know what the background was for the person that submitted this rule change, and I don't have a problem with it or fire panels on special construction cars, so with that said:

IMO it sounds great when talking about access panels for fire, but in reality will they really do any good, as the car must be stationary to take advantage of the panels.

The rule book only requires 10 lbs. (for driver and engine) of fire extinguisher for cars up to 200 mph, and 11 lbs, (over 5 lbs for driver) of fire extinguisher for cars over 201.

Maybe, or maybe not, it is time to look at increasing the amount of fire extinguisher for the speeds being traveled, something like, XXX lbs required between 201-300mph, XXX lbs required between 301-400, XXX lbs required over 400 mph.

I don't have a special construction vehicle, but I do know it takes a long time to stop especially when the chutes have burned off.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 10:52:30 PM »
A fire at the start line fire doors could be useful, but if a special construction car wrecks at speed, the body may not be there or by the time the crew arrives the fire will have already made a fire extinguisher port.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RichFox

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 09:03:38 AM »
i had patrol when Sonny Arnet rolled one of their streamliners. It as on it's side and the canopy would not open. I and the others on the down side of the car could see it had a small fire. But we had no fire extinguisher. Russ Eyres and the others on the other side were concerned with rolling the car over to open the canopy. We wanted the fire dealt with. Russ won out and everything turned out alright that day. But a fire port might have been reassuring to those of us on the rubber side. If we had an extinguisher.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 10:44:15 AM »
...."Vehicles in this category must have fire doors or panels in the body, clearly marked to allow access to the engine compartment and chassis. The fire doors/panels must have a minimum diameter of 4 inches. Competitors have until January 1, 2017 to comply with this provision."...............

-Andy

I don't see a problem with the rule in general except it is pretty vague about how many doors and exactly where, especially the part about the chassis which could be any number of places.  Seems to open a whole can of worms for interpretation of what different inspectors might feel is adequate vs. what the competitor feels is adequate.  Hopefully some definitive examples could/will be added to the rule book or referenced there and place on the web site.

Sumner

Offline bbarn

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 11:14:12 AM »
...."Vehicles in this category must have fire doors or panels in the body, clearly marked to allow access to the engine compartment and chassis. The fire doors/panels must have a minimum diameter of 4 inches. Competitors have until January 1, 2017 to comply with this provision."...............

-Andy

I don't see a problem with the rule in general except it is pretty vague about how many doors and exactly where, especially the part about the chassis which could be any number of places.  Seems to open a whole can of worms for interpretation of what different inspectors might feel is adequate vs. what the competitor feels is adequate.  Hopefully some definitive examples could/will be added to the rule book or referenced there and place on the web site.

Sumner

Kind of what I am thinking too. I think a little clarity should be added as to where the doors should be in relation to:

• Exhaust
  • Intake
  • Headers
  • Oil pan
  • Oil supply
  • fuel tank
  • battery
  • Motor
  • hot spots or ignition sources...
  • Fuel sources...

There is a list of locations for nozzles used in the fire suppression systems for both the cockpit/driver and the engine compartment. I think some common sense will prevail here, we aren't putting fire doors on our cooling water tank. Generally, access to the engine where you have a fuel or an ignition source (or both) is probably going to be obvious on some builds. I know where ours should go already...

Do you put a set on the underside of the car too? Why stop at the motor compartment, should we do the underside of the car on both the driver's side of the bulkhead and the motor side? (semi rhetorical questions)

I can see on ours having a set on either side of the car located just above the turbo as these are going to cover the oil supply system to the hot turbo, the hot header and the oil pump and oil pan. I think it would also be beneficial to add one on the underside of the motor compartment in the event it decides to give the tires a chance to suntan a little.

Each build in the liner class is unique and will need its own solution. I would think given the time to implement these changes tech will have a chance to see the cars at least one more time and provide some specific guidance on where they would like them. This is assuming that B'ville remains a dry race course and doesn't become a Water Speed Racing venue or worse yet a Gypsum Mud Bog Racing event...
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.