Author Topic: Restore the Bonneville Salt Flats petition  (Read 11494 times)

Offline Dakin Engineering

Restore the Bonneville Salt Flats petition
« on: December 01, 2015, 06:50:54 AM »
The new petition;

http://wh.gov/ivCWE

Thank you,
Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Restore the Bonneville Salt Flats petition
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 12:53:41 PM »
Signed off.

I don't know if anyone else had to cut and paste the article address "link" on the White House website to receive it.  Was anyone able to just click through, or is it just my browser?

Thanks, Sam.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Queeziryder

• Former funnybike racer now Salt crew
    • G&N Racing
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 01:48:46 PM »
All signed  :-D

Chris,
The link worked fine for me

Neil
Old enough to know better, but too interested in speed to care

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 06:38:54 PM »
one click here, we just need another 99958 more folks to sign
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Podunk

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 07:30:18 PM »
Link worked. 99957 to go.

Offline BobDcuda

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 08:15:23 PM »
Is there some text that accompanies this petition?  If so, how can I access it?

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 08:49:25 PM »
The link in the first message of this thread is the one that links to the White House petition site. However there is no description of what the petition is for. You have to copy the link from the petition and paste it into your browser. Not a very friendly way to get people to sign the petition.

Here is the link modified so that it is clickable:
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015/11/23/a-new-day-may-be-dawning-for-the-bonneville-salt-flats/

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 11:45:12 AM »
Thank you Don.
Web guru is not one of my "hats".

Sam

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 10:08:14 AM »
Just a reminder that the petition is still out there.

http://wh.gov/ivCWE

Think of it as the BLM in the oven on Clean... :evil:

Sam

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 09:17:49 AM »
I've cross posted the link on 2 other forums and managed to double the signatures, but why doesn't anyone here sign it?  I'm seriously disappointed with how many SCTA members, not to mention the ECTA, NHRA, on and on... that don't even know it exists.  There must be a membership roster this can be emailed to???  I'm guessing almost every team has a facebook page they can post it to.  No effort.  I'm not surprised that we're not getting a lot of help trying to save the salt.  There are a few people talking and no one to hear it.  How do we reach out to a larger audience?  You want to save the salt?  Don't just talk to the person sitting next to you while you read this.  Reach out!!!  Make a real, driven effort.  I've already spoken with a couple of the magazine editors I deal with as well.  I'm sure we all have a couple connections we can utilize in this effort.  Stop sitting on your hands I also contacted the National Park Service about getting the petition posted on their website.   :dhorse:
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 
Racing is the evil modification of insanity.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 12:40:55 AM »
Sorry I kept forgetting. Just signed it.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 11:14:17 AM »
..... but why doesn't anyone here sign it?  I'm seriously disappointed with how many SCTA members, not to mention the ECTA, NHRA, on and on... that don't even know it exists. ..

I'll step in here and don't mean to step on any toes here but think that maybe this hasn't been thought out well.  I'm not saying that a petition at some point is not a good idea but putting a petition out there that has a time limit on it and then trying to get people to sign it might be putting the cart before the horse.

If one wants it to succeed I think there needs to be lots and lots of work done before it goes up.  You would want to work towards a date that the petition goes up and do a lot of leg work with the groups mentioned above and on the internet forums and so forth so that when the petition goes active you have a lot of interested people wanting to sign it and organizations that want to support it and want to get their members active in signing it.

Of course to do that you also would need to go to work and come up with a wording that those organizations feel good about supporting.  That in itself would probably take a lot of back and forth correspondence.

I feel that putting out a petition without all of that might actually be doing more harm than good.  It doesn't look so good when the petition needs 100,000 names on it before it is acted on and you only get a few hundred.  It supports the people that will say "see the people that are interested in the Salt are few and far between".

Just my thoughts on it,

Sumner

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 03:20:07 PM »
Sumner,
  I am trying to keep the issue alive in social media.
After conversations and correspondence with several racers, I followed the Utah Alliance's lead on the wording.
If the sanctioning bodies would lend support, great. I leave it to their leaders and members to decide.

I have read every document, report, and tax return available to date.
I have suggested solutions and remedies to other concerned individuals.
The result is the petition.

I'm not asking for money, just a couple minutes of time.
Maybe the effort will convince the BLM to do the right thing.

One thing is certain; Success is impossible if you don't try.

Sam

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 03:48:42 PM »
Maybe the effort will convince the BLM to do the right thing...

Well I certainly appreciate all the time you have put in researching and doing  :cheers: :cheers:.

The BLM will move when the administration they are reporting to feels they need to change policy.  I think, as Sparky says, the answer is going to be political and to move a politician, and thus the BLM, they are going to have to realize the issue is effecting a lot of potential voters, a lot.  If the petition got over the 100,000 vote mark that might do it.  As I said in the last post though to get those votes on a petition it is going to take a lot more work ahead of the petition becoming public to have a mobilizing effect.

Do I think it is possible to get over 100,000 votes?  Yes with all those organizations behind it and a substantial number of magazine articles/editorials at the same time and all keyed to getting votes on a petition.  The key is going to be timing on all of it,

Sumner

« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 03:50:31 PM by Sumner »

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 03:22:19 PM »
Timing... like getting everyone who comes to a sanctioned event to sign as part of the registration?  Participants as well as spectators?  SCTA, ECTA, etc...?  A booth at Nascar races?  How about at Barrett Jackson auctions?  Every "car guy" on the planet has visiting Bonneville on their bucket list and would sign a petition if it was handed to them.  Why do we have to do a 30-day online petition?  The time limit flat out sucks and makes it appear that no one cares.  Hell, the numbers prove it. 

Why not start compiling a written petition at events?  Surely a 10" tall stack of papers will persuade as well as a couple online pages?  If there is ever a race at Bonneville, my entire team would be there signing!
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 
Racing is the evil modification of insanity.