Author Topic: Valve and guide drag  (Read 5879 times)

Offline panic

• My tech papers
Valve and guide drag
« on: November 27, 2015, 04:38:11 PM »
Given:

Now, imagine that the tiny circle is the intake valve guide seen in plan view.
Do the proportions shown suggest that an airfoil much larger than the guide OD (fitted concentrically over it) will greatly improve flow through the port (at that point)? And another extending the guide far down on the stem (allowing for lift, of course) likewise?

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: Valve and guide drag
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 04:54:05 PM »
Panic, I think that if you got too big it would choke it off on the sides.  :cheers: Other than that, I like it plenty. Wayno

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 07:52:31 PM »
:roll: ?

I like where this is headed - it's a thinker.  My thought at this point is that the external dimensions and shape of the port/bowl actually become complicit in flow obstruction to a greater degree than the actual valve guide, if the guide is shaped like an airfoil.

Part of the equation would also likely be a product of valve angle with respect to the airfoil, in that the valve tends to not flow uniformly across the back into the combustion chamber.

Panic, do you think this could be used to increase port velocity into the combustion chamber?   We're currently dealing with what will likely be better than adequate flow figures, but likely in need of higher velocity at lower RPM's than would typically be allowed.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 07:58:47 PM »
Katz’ example is predicated on an unconstrained flow field.  Agree with Elmo that getting larger cross-section would probably not be good for the flow rate. 
Also, most valve guide flows occur at a skewed angle so it already presents an oval profile.  Adding a “tail” fairing might be beneficial, but most guides are already about as short as tolerable to avoid blocking the area.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 08:15:32 PM »
As IO stated internal flow is constrained by the port walls and shape. I examined this very issue in a recent cylinder head project. The best port lost 7.1% flow with an "aero" valve guide and one of the not so good ports gained 2.5% flow with it. Air flow is finicky as we all know too well!  :x :x You must test - not guess!  :dhorse:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 09:05:42 PM »
What do you think the additional throttles shafts do especially at 90* to the valve.... Rotary valves might help 😱
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 09:30:31 PM »
Thinking out loud, again . . .

Woody, your research would want me to be looking at that 2.5% increased port, to be looking at where that flow is happening in the port and bowl with respect to the valve event, and how it's filling the cylinder past the valves.  You've likely already have done that.  :wink:

What if you're not necessarily looking to maximize total flow, but instead, are looking to create a less turbulent, and possibly better directed flow?

IO, given the external constraints of the port, you're effectively creating a low pressure point in the airstream where the port/bowl narrows around the valve guide, but that would begin to recover past the widest point.  An airfoil design could be engineered to be less turbulent at that point where the airflow is entering the combustion chamber, no?

If you have a port size capable of delivering flow capacity in excess of the application's needs, it seems to me the shape of the obstructions are fair game.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 12:53:54 AM »
In the interest of keeping the intake charge cool the least amount of surface area is best.  Late model bikes often have no guide boss projecting into the port and waisted valve stems.

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 10:52:16 AM »
Intake ports are the very essences of making HP. The one that figures out the best port goes the fastest.

One big thing to keep in mind , among many others, is that you are dealing with flow and sonic pulses both directions.

You may get better one way flow and screw up your sonic pulses that results in a port that looks great on paper, yet don't run worth a hoot, because you screwed up the pulse waves that help charge the cylinder.

Like Woody said, test it out and see what happens. That's what makes racing fun, sometimes?

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 11:10:45 AM »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 11:32:13 AM »
There are many things done to an intake port. Some work, others don't. In it's proper application this works. Is it what you are asking about?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 01:22:49 PM »
Along this topic- has anyone used "Dynomation 5" software? Any opinions on how useful it is?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 12:33:37 PM »
Neil, I use two programs for engine analysis to prepare for CFD studies. Both are very capable and useful for engine development plans.

Dynomation5 and Engine Pro by Patrick Hale [less $$]

http://www.quarterjr.com/engine_pro.htm

Engine Pro requires less inputs and I typically use that for a first look at a particular configuration. It is "calibrated" with extensive empirical data.

Dynomation5 requires more inputs but gives much more detailed results like port pressure plots. It has a very large cam database available.

Me thinks both are very useful for trends but can be surprisingly accurate. Sometimes just a CR adjustment gets them pretty close.

But like my byline says, "All models are wrong but some are useful!"  :-o

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 02:03:12 PM »
Thanks, I had not seen "Engine Pro" before. The information on their website is rather sparse; no mention of cylinder head or cam libraries, etc. The price is attractive.

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 02:51:22 PM »
Neil,
Yes I have Dynomation 5 and it is a good tool to use. It has more input requirements than Engine Analyzer so you would expect that the end results would be closer to real world numbers.

What I have noticed is that both programs are a little on the optimistic side of what you end up with, but that may be my fault as a tuner?

There is a whole batch of cams that you can select from a list, or you can input your own design.

The program is best if you already have good flow numbers for your heads, if not, you have to throw in some educated guessing. Thing good about that is you can tailor the heads to match best results.

Rouse 
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.