Author Topic: So-Cal streamliner question  (Read 3653 times)

Offline speedrelic

So-Cal streamliner question
« on: November 25, 2015, 01:19:15 PM »
I am building a model of the black primer version of the So-Cal streamliner as raced at Bonneville in 1950. I am in the process of determining the necessary graphics for the decals and there is one that has me stumped beyond frustration. On the nose below the  So-Cal script there is a small emblem or badge. I cannot find any photo clear enough to make this out. Looking at the So-Cal book by M.Christensen (page 111 & 115) there appears to be an 8 with some writing running either side the upper portion of the numeral and through the lower portion of the numeral. Does this ring a bell with anyone??? This only appeared on the black primer version of the car. Does anyone know Ron Winterbottom the photographer who took the shot? Or how to contact the author Mark Christensen? I've tried pretty much all the other usual suspects (including Jim Miller) and no one has a clue? The Ron Kellogg archive is unapproachable, he wants $500 + just to check if he has anything! Any leads, suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: So-Cal streamliner question
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
 think it is the Ford 8 with a V thru it.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 12:18:03 PM »
is it something like this:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 10:34:34 PM »
Is this it?

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 11:41:34 PM »
This is what he's talking about.

The 1949 body, with the earlier nose, had, prominently, "Body by Valley Custom" on the nose.  Who did the new nose?

There's no picture of the 1950 version in Dean Batchelor's "The American Hot Rod."

Mike
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:44:48 PM by 4-barrel Mike »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline speedrelic

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 10:56:57 AM »
Hi Guys,
4 Barrel mike is correct, that is the emblem. The other shot is the front of the Kenz & Leslie car with the V8 decal. The best photo I've found so far is in the So-Cal book (by Mark Christensen) page 111 as I mentioned. The photo was taken by a Ron Winterbottom. Anybody know Ron? Again, thanks for any help.