Author Topic: I'm confused tire ratings - 165/50R15 73V - how fast does SCTA permit on these?  (Read 10369 times)

Offline SteveM

The tires I have on the front of my Rampage (H/DT) are Federal Formozas, marked as 165/50R15, 73V.  They are the perfect diameter for the engine and trans I'm using. (21.5" calculated diameter)

There's a chance that the little green truck will be able to run on the high side of 150mph in 2016.

Section 2.F of the Rulebook for 2014 (don't have my 2015 book handy) states that VR and ZR rated tires are good for up to 200mph.

Since my tires have both a V and an R in the rating (although not immediately adjacent to one another in the form of "VR"), does SCTA consider these to be "VR" rated, and therefore eligible to run faster than 150 mph?

Your educated opinions are being asked for here.  I know it's not an official ruling until I get something from SCTA in writing, but I'm just trying to get my level of understanding raised about tire speed ratings.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Geo

Steve,

All you need to know is here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

Good luck in 2016!

Geo

Offline SteveM

Thanks for the link.  Yes, I was familiar with the DOT rating system. 

The issue I'm trying to figure out is that the DOT ratings don't seem to match up with the speed ratings in the SCTA-BNI rulebook. 

SCTA says VR and ZR rated tires are allowable up to 200 mph.

There is an EXTREMELY low likelihood that my Rampage would ever see 200 mph.  If I ever get anything close to that, I'll buy dedicated racing tires, as per the rulebook. 

It is entirely possible that it might run a tick over 150 with the current drivetrain setup, though.  I'm hoping someone will chime in about how SCTA might interpret the rating of my current tires (165/50R15 73V).

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline jacksoni

The term VR and ZR first appeared in the rule book around 1989-1990. That designation has not changed since as far as I can see though other sizes with allowed speeds have been added, generally a few mph greater than the mfg rating. For instance a U rated tire is 124mph but allowed to 130 by SCTA. If you read the tire rack site carefully you will see that the speed designation in the tire size ( for instance 205/75VR-15) has not been used recently ( supposedly since 1991) and the load/speed rating is separate= the 73V in your case. As I understand, the "R" in your tire size designates a radial as opposed to bias ply tire and doesn't mean anything from a speed standpoint. Therefore the 73V designation says you have a V rated tire (read "VR") in your question, and so you should be good to go.

My interpretation of course; better ask SCTA-looks like Jim Dunn, page 196 of the 2015 book.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline NathanStewart

Looks like those tires are V speed rated which is up to 149 mph.  Probably okay if you're looking to go "around" 150 mph. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline jacksoni

Looks like those tires are V speed rated which is up to 149 mph.  Probably okay if you're looking to go "around" 150 mph. 
Nathan, the mfg rating is 149. The rule book uses the (I think obsolete) "VR" designation and indicates it is good to 200. The rule book also clearly says there is some leeway in the mfg ratings. That is the point of the OP's question. If he has a "V" rated tire (old VR), the rule book clearly says he is good to 200. I think you are an inspector, right? Do you have a different interpretation?
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline salt27

Interesting, Comparing the car and motorcycle tire speed ratings in the 2015 SCTA rule book.

An H rated tire is rated up to 150 mph for a car and 130 mph for a bike?

Nathan, I know the manufacturers recommendation for a V rated car tire is up to 149 mph but I'm not seeing that in 2.F, page 26, 2015 rule book.

What am I missing? Jeez just when I thought I knew everything.    :-P

Dang it Jacksoni, you type faster than I do.   :-D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 02:02:56 PM by salt27 »

Offline NathanStewart

VR and V are not the same rating AFAIK.  I would do what any other inspector would do: google "V tire speed rating".  Multiple online sources say 149 mph.  I see nothing that says V and VR are the same and I'm pretty sure that they're not.  Newer high speed tire ratings are Z, W and Y.  As far as I can tell, VR meant rated to at least 130 mph.

Unless someone can show otherwise, I'd fall back to what's readily documented and available to the public.     

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
VR and V are not the same rating AFAIK.  I would do what any other inspector would do: google "V tire speed rating".  Multiple online sources say 149 mph.  I see nothing that says V and VR are the same and I'm pretty sure that they're not.  Newer high speed tire ratings are Z, W and Y.  As far as I can tell, VR meant rated to at least 130 mph.

Unless someone can show otherwise, I'd fall back to what's readily documented and available to the public.      

As Jacksoni said his tires have the V (not VR) in the speed rating portion of the tire's service description (73V) ....

The tires I have on the front of my Rampage (H/DT) are Federal Formozas, marked as 165/50R15, 73V....

... as is the procedure since 1991 so as to be rid of the confusing older methods of labeling the tires such as ..

Over the years, tire speed rating symbols have been marked on tires in any of three ways shown in the following examples:
225/50SR16   225/50SR16 89S   or 225/50R16 89S

Since the V is only in the speed rating area for the tire it is a V tire, speeds up to 149, so if the rule book says that a V rated tire can be used up to 200 (out of town with no rule book) then if it was my car I would argue the tire is legal and take along a copy of the article here...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

... that explains the confusion between old and new markings on tires...

Beginning in 1991, the speed symbol denoting a fixed maximum speed capability of new tires must be shown only in the speed rating portion of the tire's service description, such as 225/50R16 89S.

Sumner

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 11:47:41 AM by Sumner »

Offline NathanStewart

Rule book doesn't specify SCTA allowed speed rating for a V tire therefore...

Offline jacksoni

Rule book doesn't specify SCTA allowed speed rating for a V tire therefore...

But Nathan, there is no such thing as a "VR"   rated tire since 1991 as has been pointed out. It is an obsolete usage. Those tires became "V" rated.  If we strictly stick to what is in the rule book (here is a spot where a change is in order) the only tires allowed are up to "H" rating at 150 MPH. And SCTA with all the other, lower rated tires, allows some speed over the MFG recommendations. ie; the Above H tires is allowed to 150 but is 130 rated.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Seems nobody mentioned the vehicle has to be legal and running all the gear, minimum requirements for the speed in the class for which they are running in..looks like at ElMo and Bonneville the records are less than 106 mph..in the HDT class..

Offline NathanStewart

But Nathan, there is no such thing as a "VR"   rated tire since 1991 as has been pointed out. It is an obsolete usage. Those tires became "V" rated.  If we strictly stick to what is in the rule book (here is a spot where a change is in order) the only tires allowed are up to "H" rating at 150 MPH. And SCTA with all the other, lower rated tires, allows some speed over the MFG recommendations. ie; the Above H tires is allowed to 150 but is 130 rated.
[/quote]

Jack, I don't see anything anywhere that says a V tire is a VR tire.  Yes, VR, which was 200 mph rating, went away but a V tire has a very clear published rating of 149mph that anyone with access to the internet can find.  There is no specific speed allowance in the rule book for a V tire (and nothing that states a V rating and VR rating are the same).  Therefore, I'd put limit at published speed rating.  Does not matter that there is leeway in other tire ratings.  V is not specifically listed therefore all an inspector can do is reference manufacture ratings - unless specific testing has been done to validate that a certain tire can be run beyond it's speed rating.  That hasn't been done for a V tire.

Rule book says ZR is allowed up to 200.  AFAIK, ZR is still a current rating.   

Show me something that says that VR rating is now V.  I don't think your assumption is correct.  Higher speed ratings are Z, W and Y.  No V's that I see.  The other thing you're not getting is that I can't sit on the witness stand and testify that I "allowed" Racer Joe Blow's car to run with V rated tires to 200 mph which resulted in a tire failure, crash and death or dismemberment because Jack Illiff says VR is the same as V.  If there isn't a specifically stated speed limit printed in the rule book for a certain tire, I'm always going to refer to the lowest published speed rating that I can find.  Case closed, end of discussion.  A V tires is NOT a 200 mph tire.  V rating is 149 mph.  Competitor presents something that says otherwise from the manufacturer and it'll be a different story.  Make sense?

Offline jacksoni

Thanks Nathan. I appreciate your thoughts and input.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline vintageracecar

Jack, I don't see anything anywhere that says a V tire is a VR tire.  Yes, VR, which was 200 mph rating, went away but a V tire has a very clear published rating of 149mph that anyone with access to the internet can find.  There is no specific speed allowance in the rule book for a V tire (and nothing that states a V rating and VR rating are the same).  Therefore, I'd put limit at published speed rating.  Does not matter that there is leeway in other tire ratings.  V is not specifically listed therefore all an inspector can do is reference manufacture ratings - unless specific testing has been done to validate that a certain tire can be run beyond it's speed rating.  That hasn't been done for a V tire.

Rule book says ZR is allowed up to 200.  AFAIK, ZR is still a current rating.   

Show me something that says that VR rating is now V.  I don't think your assumption is correct.  Higher speed ratings are Z, W and Y.  No V's that I see.  The other thing you're not getting is that I can't sit on the witness stand and testify that I "allowed" Racer Joe Blow's car to run with V rated tires to 200 mph which resulted in a tire failure, crash and death or dismemberment because Jack Illiff says VR is the same as V.  If there isn't a specifically stated speed limit printed in the rule book for a certain tire, I'm always going to refer to the lowest published speed rating that I can find.  Case closed, end of discussion.  A V tires is NOT a 200 mph tire.  V rating is 149 mph.  Competitor presents something that says otherwise from the manufacturer and it'll be a different story.  Make sense?

First off, let me make sure everybody understands where I am coming from:
I Love Landracing.com and Jon & Nancy are awesome for providing this venue for all of us to ask questions and discus issues.
But when it comes down to the definite and final answer and call, I have to agree with the statement DW made many times:
Contact the appropriate person listed on the SCTA website or rule book.

In this case I would send an e-mail to the "Car Technical Chair" Lee Kennedy at   Lee.Kennedy@avmetrics.net
and CC the "Chief Automobile Inspector" Steve Davies at   cartechscta@gmail.com

Something to that effect:
Lee & Steve,

Can you please answer following question for me.
I am trying to run a Federal Formozas tire, marked as 165/50R15, 73V. Manufacturers Speed rating is 149 Mph.
Is this tire considered to be a VR tire as specified in the 2015 SCTA Rule Book on page 26, Section 2.F Tires ?
Will I be allowed to compete with this tire during SCTA Sanctioned events (El Mirage / Bonneville) to a stated
Top Speed of 200 Mph ?
My vehicle is a Rampage Pickup and runs in H/DT. Current Records are in the 130 Mph area, but I am hoping to
get within 160 to 170 Mph.
Thanks in advance,

That's what I would do. But I am just a bystander in this discussion.
AND, if you get the desired answer, make sure to print out the e-mail and include it with your log book.
There may be a chance, that an Inspector will want to see documentation of this conversation with Lee & Steve.
More than likely, they will not remember what they told you. They are getting requests like this daily.

Hope to see you out in Bonneville in 2016. Good luck with your quest.

Mike Spacek