Author Topic: More New Cars for Bonneville  (Read 22439 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: More New Cars for Bonneville
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2007, 09:03:53 PM »
Sparky, no part of the body or axle fairing is wider than the narrowest inner vertical plane of the tires.  It does not say the axle cannot be aero tubing, it just says you can't have any body parts sticking outboard of the inner plane of the narrowest tires. 
We mounted an air scoop on the side one year, tech said that was body/fairing, it was just for a test we were doing, we had the NACA duct with us, to run a comparison. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2007, 08:22:21 AM »
Google ---Lakester--- on page 10 there is a link to somethinGoogle ---Lakester--- on page 10 there is a link to something that "MAY"  give us some ideas of aero on Seths new car!  http://avusdesign.com/Lakester.html
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2007, 09:31:25 AM »
If you look at my roadster, it has a sheet metal airfoil shaped cover over the tie rod which is directly infront of the axle. Ib am told this was protested when the car was new and found to be legal. People have complained about it since I have owned the car but no protest.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2015, 07:53:21 PM »
What do you think it would have to be to not be considered fairing? :roll:

Like he said it sounds like the axle tube itself can be whatever shape you want it, you just can't attach something to it that is aero and inside the plane of the tires.

I have to call you we won't be coming next weekend,

Sum

Sum, how about warping the round front axle tube with sheet metal to create an aero axle? Weld sheet metal permanently to the axle tube and should meet the rules.

John