Author Topic: California Cage Builder Recommendations  (Read 10266 times)

Offline Slide

California Cage Builder Recommendations
« on: November 11, 2015, 06:42:09 AM »
Hello all!

Building a Subaru...its to run the Texas mile, and Shift Sector Airstrip attack (and have recently learned of the mojave 1.5)... The goal is 186 in the 1/2 mile and 206mph in the standing mile...on cement...

We have the go part figured out and just about finished. I am working on the binders currently and its time to factor in safety. I was originally going to use TC fab in the SJ area to build the cage and possibly the parachute structure (seeing in many a video how that chute made things a lot better in the case of a blow out, or just plain sideways on throttle lift)...

However... TC fab is geared towards road racing (I have two cars done by them) and as far as I know don't have much experience in what is best practices in the land speed way of safety. Id feel a lot more comfortable having some one who is familiar with what works (unfortunately from observing the after effects of a "used cage") as well as familiarity with parachute bracing when it comes to height and distance from the car body and strength etc etc...

Lord knows I dont have any idea...

Could anyone recommend a cage builder familiar in this form of safety?
I am in the east bay area of california...and can travel a little ways..2-300 miles I guess...to make this happen correctly.

Thank you for any guidance!

Offline RichFox

Re: California Cage Builder Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 10:20:17 AM »
Performance Fabrication in San Carlos has done some of this to much faster cars Don't know any of them crashed thought.

Offline JoshH

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 11:14:11 AM »
TC does some really nice work but the landspeed stuff is pretty different.

x2 for Performance Fab. They have the landspeed experience to help guide you.

Offline 8

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 11:37:15 AM »
  Go see  Rick White at AUTOPOWER  he is the BEST and Knows  He has been over 400 mph

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 12:35:37 PM »
No doubt about that. But about 500 miles from poster.

Offline Slide

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 03:55:03 AM »
Hey guys! Awesome! I am going to contact both! You never know, some people get busy, or aren't interested in a project... Subies seem to be a love it or hate it kind of car and sometimes people have their quirks as to what they want to work on!

I have to drive to WASP for the flatbottom stuff anyways! (less than 500 but you know!)

Thank you for the suggestions!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 11:29:11 AM »
Kiwi Steve, SCTA head tech. Kiwi Steve's Hot Rod Shop in Brea.
  Sid.
http://www.kiwisteves.com/contact.htm

Offline deucemac

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 12:06:19 AM »
X2 for Rick White at Autopower. If there is any doubt, watch the video of the Hondata car going over at El mirage at 200+. Rick built that cage and the crash was a walk away. 500 miles isn't much for the safety he provides

Offline Slide

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 02:51:03 AM »
Just throwing this out there...some one local suggested I contact Daniel Shuken, shukenracing.com

I contacted him and he was very nice. (which is kind of refreshing in the "I have an import that I want to do land speed in" world!!!! He had mentioned he is familiar with the SCTA rule book and has worked with a number of land speed cars.

Anyways, I wanted to get your guys imput whole I sort this out!!

Thank you!

Offline JR529

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 12:18:29 PM »
X2 for Rick White at Autopower. If there is any doubt, watch the video of the Hondata car going over at El mirage at 200+. Rick built that cage and the crash was a walk away. 500 miles isn't much for the safety he provides

More of a limp-away but X3 for Rick White at Autopower.

Offline vintageracecar

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 12:34:24 PM »
Shuken Racing in Fresno is very much able to build what you need. I inspected two LSR cars Daniel did the cage on. Both were
nicely done. What's very important, he knows how to read the rule book and is not afraid to call and ask questions, to get the
needed input from the Scta Committee chairs & members. Just make sure you tell him exactly what class and engines etc. you
are trying to run with your car.

Your Subaru is probably All Wheel Drive & Supercharged. That limits it very much, what class you can run in.
"Production Supercharged" is it I believe. Make sure you don't make any modifications, which would kick it out of "PS", otherwise
all you got is "Time Only" at Scta events. Not sure what it would take to modify a Subaru to a FWD or RWD. Four Wheel or
All Wheel Drive is only permitted to compete in Production or Special Construction classes. Make sure you are working with a
current rule book. ALWAYS !!

Good luck with your project.

Mike Spacek

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 12:35:36 PM »
The most important thing in picking a protective structure for LSR is experience in LSR and the the person doing the work HAS a current SCTA rulebook and CAN read. LSR safety rules are different.

I cannot speak on running in Texas and how they do their inspections, even tho they use the SCTA rulebook, a lot depends on the inspector. It seems that each inspector just needs to find something for you to fix and for the life of me I don't know why. In some cases it's obvious and needed but we are not NASCAR and every car is different.

Like stated above it's experience in LSR that's needed and IMO YOU need to know what they are going to do;
 what bar size, thickness, material, bracing, head restraints, belt/window/door netting attaching points, etc. Good Luck...
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline lmfoley79

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 03:25:15 PM »
I follow Shuken on Facebook and his work all looks top notch.

Offline Freud

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 03:39:28 PM »
Another recommendation for Rick White at Autopower.

He has the background and has had plenty of experience above 300 MPH.

I doubt that he has a record above 400 but his Dad did.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Slide

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 10:45:53 AM »
Awesome guys! Thank you very much!

Let's see...Mike... Yep, awd, 4 cyl turbo... Modified? Yeah a tad... Sleeved block, changed location of intercooler from top to front, bigger...much bigger turbo, head work, cams,
All new forged internal pieces etc etc etc...

As for class? Nah, I just want to clear 200...(I mean ideally I want to clear 205 in the standing mile) but it's just for my own happiness!

The guys at Shuken have been very nice and communicative, and I believe that is who I will send the car too. He has been very vocal about seats and safety gear and also the parachute recommendations. I like he has a similar attitude of safety first, fun second, and let's take this super serious last!