Author Topic: Dike at Bonneville  (Read 4340 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Dike at Bonneville
« on: November 06, 2015, 06:48:22 PM »
  I just received a email copy of the Oct. 23rd SCTA Board Reps Meeting.
  Amongst other news Ron Main announced that apparently He is leading a drive to raise $300,000 to build a Dike around our Racing Area.
  While I salute Ron and agree if anyone can get it done it would be Him, I cannot find any mention of this subject anywhere else.
  Does this mean it is a individual effort or am I (as usual) confused?
                                                                                          Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Offline dw230

Re: Dike at Bonneville
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 06:58:22 PM »
Bob/members,

Ron's active mind has pushed on to another solution. Ron, a former construction company owner, has thought the problem out and come with this solution. Ron has approached all concerned participants and discussed the various options including cost. If you remember, Ron is the ONLY person to have raised funding for StS. His Bonneville - A Century of Speed book and car show raised $40K over a weekend with all funds going directly to StS for salt recovery. The other organizations are still on the fluff with apparently no raised funding on their books.

Give Ron some time, he will make faster progress to a solution than others. This is not saying that he will not be thwarted in his quest - but. he is trying.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 11:09:07 PM »
  I just hope We can all Unite as One and not bicker over the small sh*t.  I have no doubt that Ron has already planned out the Engineering and Logistics, what worry's Me most is dealing with the BLM.  But then again, They may no longer be calling the shots Thanks to some Help from The Governor of Utah!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
                                                                                                Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 08:02:04 AM »
Bob, could you forward me a copy of that?  I'd be grateful.

I spoke with Ron a few weeks back.  My understanding of the idea - and please correct me if I'm misunderstanding this - is to continue the dike north toward Floating Mountain, west to the base of the mountain range and south toward I-80.  This would, in essence, create a basin within the basin that would be somewhat shielded from wash out from the mountains.  Pumping would then be directed toward this basin, concentrating salt onto the speedway area.

It's not a holistic approach, but for all of the Bonneville Salt Flats' "natural beauty", the truth is that for almost a century, it has been an engineered environment.  As long as potash extraction remains on the table, putting the salt flats back as it was 100 years ago is no longer an option.  But preserving the racecourse could well be.

The question, as I see it, is would the BLM accept what would be a half-measure - saving the speedway - or will their charter require them to restore the entire flats?

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 08:53:05 AM »
Restoration to conditions at the beginning of the current lease (2003) would be likely.
Intrepid cannot be held accountable for previous mining losses.

I think Ron's biggest hurdle will be the reclamation clause of "natural contour".

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 10:03:00 AM »
By now people should know that Ron is a man that gets it done.  Having worked with him on the 2 Club Board for a number of years and during my short time as a Sidewinder, I can verify that if something needs doing and no one steps up he will.  I have no idea what or how his plan will work but give him all the support he needs - Pat

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 01:31:43 PM »
  Chris, I will email it to You.  If You don't receive it by 11 a.m. PST give me a shout    lorideorbob@aol.com
  By the way, The minutes are a little confusing to read and either Ron misstated the various Organizations names or the writer of the minutes was a little confused.
  Also, Clarification of Ron's offers to those who donate are somewhat confusing.
  I would download the minutes to this site but I don't know if that is ethical or legal.  If someone else want's to take on that task it might be more productive to All rather than me trying to give out misinformation!
  I am sure that We will all here more of Ron's plan soon.  I urge All of us to buy a Lotto ticket to help fund the $300 grand needed. Lets All be patient.
                                                                   Bob Drury (who plans on keeping everything I win beyond the $300 grand and spending it foolishly)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 01:48:48 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Freud

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 12:23:26 AM »
Was it Ron's idea to reclaim the ramp at Lands End?

FREUD
Since '63