Author Topic: Indoors engine/outdoors exhaust?  (Read 5350 times)

Offline edinlr

Re: Indoors engine/outdoors exhaust?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 05:40:41 PM »
Slim, I took over the management of a nursing home years ago.  On Wednesday at noon I heard a lot engine noise and learned that the generator came on every week at noon.  It sounded like a damn race motor.  I went in to see what the racket was and there was a 440 Chrysler in the utility room.  It ran on natural gas and did not have an air filter and had cracked exhausts and leaking pipes.  I decided that was going to be problems for numerous reasons and bought a diesel system and mounted it outside.  I have to admit that a 300 hp generator never had any trouble keeping up with our power needs.

If you are insistent in mounting the unit in the garage, I would ditto comments above about ventilation and ducting.  All of my generators have a flap on the exhaust that pops open with use, but shuts when needed to keep nature out of there.  I would also suggest a wire mesh screen for your fresh air intake to make sure it comes in clean all the time too.  You will want both up high enough to make sure the snow/ice will not block them.  Look for water heater or heater exhaust pipe that is double insulated, or pipe from a fireplace store.  I would also consider some sort of cover and framework maybe made of 2 x 4 and some foam insulated board.  You could use real duct tape (the foil and adhesive kind) to hold it together.  I think the CO2 detector is crucial too, mount it on a far wall so it doesn't get any false positives.  Since you have your toys in the garage, I suggest both a heat and smoke detector.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 08:00:37 PM »
www.nelsonglobalproducts.com

At my job we use industrial mufflers these guys make.  They are in Wisconsin and that is close to you.  Their stuff is american made, too.  They might have something you need.   

Offline ATS, Inc

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 10:36:56 AM »
Jon,
Please do your research on the dangers of CO Poisoning. I have lived at or near Lake Powell for 40 yrs, and every year there are many deaths caused by this. I have even had friends die! This is a link to a web site setup for a little girl who died from CO.
http://www.meganscause.org/
CO Poisoning is cumulative, if you get dosed a little bit each day you will eventually get very ill or die!
Please be safe.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 01:09:02 PM »
Chronic exposure certainly is bad but I think to say that it is "cumulative" is inaccurate. Otherwise the hemoglobin effects would not go away. Clearly up to some point, effects are reversible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019