Author Topic: Help from Great Britain, please - K series MG/Rover head  (Read 6755 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Help from Great Britain, please - K series MG/Rover head
« on: October 31, 2015, 12:36:13 PM »
I'm looking for 2 junk K series MG/Rover heads. I am not looking for refurbished heads, and provided they're not completely destroyed, they don't even need to be rebuildable.

Let me explain.

The K series is not available in the United States, so I'm reaching out the international community for help on this.

We're building a destroked K series engine for the Midget.

I have the head we're going to use, but I need two additional heads - just the castings, actually.

One will be cut open so we can assess where we can properly port and safely modify our existing head.

The other will be machined, bored through and used as a deck plate for other machining operations on the block.

The castings needs to be labeled LDF 106290.

It's my understanding that there are thousands of these heads in Great Britain that have overheated and are not rebuildable, and I'm hoping that I can arrange with you to ship one or two to the United States.

I'll pay all shipping, and I'm thinking 20£ each for junk head castings is a fair scrap value. I would be paying via Paypal.

Feel free to PM me, if you can help.

And if you know somebody who deals with these engines and might be able to supply what I'm looking for, please forward this post to them

Thanks.

Chris Conrad
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Help from Great Britain, please - K series MG/Rover head
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 02:37:36 PM »
Thanks, John - we're on that.

Fordboy has one - in fact I just repaired it, and it will be a tool we use before we start letting the chips fly.

A spare head will also give us the opportunity to test a couple of different valve sizes and shapes without trashing the good head.

I recognize no two castings are ever identical, but offering up one head up will provide some general direction as to how to cut the ports - even if all it does is show us where not to cut.  We'll be double checking as we go.

The other head - to be used as a deck plate - will eliminate a lot of measuring and machining of a billet, and likely be less expensive than machining one from scratch.

There ARE readily available CNC ported heads available out of Great Britain, but they're intended for 1.8 liter engines, and I want to keep port velocity up while still providing adequate flow. 

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline pofg

Re:
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 02:39:10 PM »
Speak to a couple of the big Lotus garages?? The original Elise ran a k-series and had a habit of cooking them....
Grazing the Gravel Trap of Insanity.

#1133 Flower of Scotland.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 08:01:44 PM »
Lots of that stuff here in SA.
I could try a local search for you but I don't have a clue what the head looks like.
Post or email me a pic and I'll try find you one. :cheers:

Robin UK

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 04:47:00 AM »
http://www.mg-cars.org.uk/garages/garuk.html

List of places selling used and other MG parts in the UK.

Robin