Author Topic: American Iron Roadster class  (Read 18045 times)

Offline Hooley

American Iron Roadster class
« on: October 22, 2015, 02:15:57 PM »
I was wondering if a model "A" roadster pick up qualifies for a A.I.R..  Can it be a coupe with the top cut off. Or does it have to be a true or replica of a true roadster? I'm kinda kicking this around.  Does any one have any input on this?  It looks like a fun class to do.
Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline NathanStewart

Re: American Iron Roadster class
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 03:28:04 PM »
Same body class rules apply for AIR as they would for other roadsters.  RPU's are allowed to run in roadster classes although I usually only see them running STR.  Bodies are supposed to be real or replicas but it depends on who's enforcing the rules that day.  I've personally witnessed the guys that run the Scotty's roadster being told their car is illegal because it's a chopped coupe but the Peek Bro's car is a coupe and they ran before and are talking about bringing it back out again and got an okay to run a chopped coupe body.  :? Maybe it has something to do with 33/34 vs Model A... I dunno.  I've heard there's an unwritten rule that competitors are allowed +/- an inch when it comes to body dimensions on roadsters which is a lot if you ask me. 

Anyways, as always, if you're serious about going after a record you better make sure that you're 100% legal which to me would mean running a real (or replica) roadster.  If you're out there to have fun only then who cares?
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 03:46:12 PM »
Frank Salzsberg runs a coupster. Has for years. And JD Tone runs the Bantam. The Dodge Boys run (what else) a Dodge. Those are not identical to a Ford. So if I was king, you would be OK with your coup cut down to a roadster. Some are done to look very much like a roadster.

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 06:36:50 PM »
Contact Russ Eyres, Chairperson of the Roadster Committee, and run your question by him. BTW, site the examples given of coupes into roadsters so that he can assemble a list of non-roadsters.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Hooley

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 07:24:58 PM »
Thanks every one for replying. It's that real steel is scarce and expensive. Glass seems to be the same way. Nathan I hadn't considered the Bantam body. There are some old drag car bodies around or new race weight bodies aren't too high. I am going to look at a guys collection of old rusty A sheet metal. Might have enough panels to piece one together. A old GM body sheet metal should be reasonable priced with the wood gone.
      My plan is go to the mile tracks with it for a while then on to the salt. We are still wanting salt for the Studebaker. We want salt, we want salt.

Thanks,
Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 09:43:00 PM »
       And, as always,"Keep in mind, The ominous Spirit of The Rules". Always loved that one.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 11:33:33 AM »
Frank Salzsberg runs a coupster. Has for years. And JD Tone runs the Bantam. The Dodge Boys run (what else) a Dodge. Those are not identical to a Ford. So if I was king, you would be OK with your coup cut down to a roadster. Some are done to look very much like a roadster.

Well nothing says it has to be a Ford roadster.  While Frank's car is one of my favorites it's not that competitive any more thus it isn't really a threat on current records.  And obviously not requiring a Ford is why JD can run a Bantam.  Skip has a "true replica" glass body on his roadster that has the door seams molded in and unfilled wheel wells.  I've seen other glass bodies that are smooth from cowl to tail with smoothed in doors and filled wheel wells.  Pick your poison.   Again, it's one of those things where you'll be able to race it down the track regardless so long as you pass tech.  Nobody really cares what the body is or looks like until records come into discussion.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Hooley

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 09:20:06 PM »
Thanks Nathan for the in put. The search is half the fun.   Being safe is the first rule.

Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 11:08:36 AM »
Not to be picky BUT please refer to my roadster as an American Austin. Mine is a 1932 MAS replica body manufactured in the 1960's when my car was originally constructed ( yes it is that old). Bill Goldmans is a much later body and steel. It is not common knowledge but my body is wider at it widest spot than a 28/29 Ford.

If you carefully read the rules the step pan on a roadster must be from the AFT most portion of the firewall to 10" infront of the centerline of the rear axle. This is why it is difficult to use the Austin body with a V/8 style engine using a 25% set back behind a grille shell and a 143" limited body/hood/grille shell length. The bodies are not very long to get the driver in the car. JD

First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Hooley

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 12:00:23 PM »
Jimmy six, I was wondering about the American Austin body for this project. There are some of the old fuel altered from the drag strips out there. Is there a way to make sure it is an exact replica?          I am still keeping all options open.

Thank You'
Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 09:40:26 PM »
Hooley, That's are great question and I'll try to answer it. First how many manufacturers are there of 28/29 Ford bodies are there or have been and do you think they were all the same? Of course they weren't and I believe the Austin was not as bad since so few were copied.

Using a previous drag car body may be a problem since they cut them up so much and many have had additional extensions from the original hood part line forward. When used in a G/F Roadster for the SCTA it needs to look like a duck and quake like one too. 

Classglassperformance lists them, shows the extended cowl, center seating tonneau and the demensions. Speedway has the same one.

I will point out 2 occasions when fiberglass bodies were questioned and both were eventually illegal they were 26/27 fords used as modifieds: 1, had the cowl actually widened so the hood sides covered a 426 style hemi and every knew the 426 style was wider than the stock Ford body at the cowl line. Your not allowed to widen a body by the rules. 2. the builder took the body out of the box and set it on the floor and built a frame and car around it. He never noticed the bottom body line at the cowl was pinched in a few inches. The roadster was made illegal as the body demensions must remain stock. Both cars were fixed and continued to race.
I don't know what happens at any of the other land speed "pavement" events but bringing out ANY new roadster to a Bonneville or El Mirage meet will bring out the "inspector/critics" and if you have altered anything some one will find it. And if you do build one, any brand, for Gods sake DO NOT sand off any of the revel or trim to make it smooth; that will throw you out RIGHT NOW. I know of 3 that is happened too. I will have mine at El Mirage in November running there for the first time in 4 years baring the weather. I was loading for October when it was cancelled. Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 11:34:02 AM »
Speaking of fiberglass . . .

One very high-buck 1932 Ford Street Roadster was presented a few years ago at SpeedWeek with a street-rodder use body design that extended the cab interior for more leg room.  The way it showed up it was not legal for any Street Roadster, G/F Roadster or Modified Roadster class.  It was rebuilt at what could have been very high expense.

I personally think the 28-29 Ford glass bodies being deemed legal are a bit too "clean" with the very apparent Coupe Pillar modifications and flush-mounted doors without hinges.

Sour grapes?  I prefer merlot.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 12:33:48 PM »
2010?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 12:56:05 PM »
Speaking of hinges and smooth bodies, can I put "hidden" hinges on my 28-9 steel "working" doors and be legal????

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 03:17:39 PM »
Mike --

Nope.  Wrong coast.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records