Author Topic: 230+mph rated tires for pavement???  (Read 26650 times)

Offline biglady112

230+mph rated tires for pavement???
« on: October 19, 2015, 10:23:45 AM »
We are a big powered FWD car and next year we are looking to do our first mile event and if we can gather enough cash make the trip to California and try and run the Mojave Magnum 1.5 mile course. We have been using our drag tires for the past few years at a few half mile events and a 23x7" tire has never been big enough. It is a full bias ply slick and I am sure at 182mph in the half mile this last year we were well past its speed rating.

We are looking for a tire that is going to help the car stick as we are coming with more power next year. It needs to be 8-10" wide and 24-27" in diameter. I called Hoosier tires this morning and was not given good news at all about a tire that is listed on the Mojave Mile's website as being legal for the speeds we are shooting for. Hoosier lists all of their tires at 168mph and we already are well past that in a half of a mile.

Anyone have any insight? I am bringing a set of rims home in two weeks that we intend on using and it would be nice to confirm if anyone has used something that can be trusted. A land speed tire is not enough contact patch with our FWD car and all we would do is spin and destroy the tires.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: 230+mph rated tires for pavement???
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 10:32:05 AM »
Off the top of my head, radial drag tires is where I'd be looking.
  Sid.

Offline biglady112

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 11:07:41 AM »
So far Hoosier and Mickey Thompson told me there is no wide tires in any compound they sell that are rated for anything near those speeds. M&H did not answer yet.

The Mojave Mile is stating to use the Hoosier R6 and R7 tires which is a road racing tire for more information.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:20:26 AM by biglady112 »
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 11:34:51 AM »
...It needs to be 8-10" wide and 24-27" in diameter. ...

I'd look at the Eagle Land Speed 2291 tire as a possibility.  Not sure if anyone is using these for the mile events or not.  Talk to Goodyear and anyone that might have used these.  At 28 inches a little larger in diameter than what you asked for but you might have to work on the car so that it fits the tire.  

I believe some have also run some of the NASCAR tires at these events.  I think to run any of these landspeed tires you are going to have to keep tire spin to a minimum so you can't run the car exactly like you would for the 1/4 mile.

Here is a link that might help with Goodyear...

http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/pdf/Drag_010313.pdf

and another....

http://www.nwr4racing.com/goodyear-drag-racing-tires/landspeed/hard-2270-280-x10-15

Drag racing also has the 10 inch tire class where cars are running over 200.  Maybe some of the tires they are running in that series would work...

https://www.google.com/search?q=drag+racing+10+inch+tire&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Sumner

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:38:49 AM by Sumner »

Offline biglady112

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 12:03:50 PM »
That is 5" more diameter. I really don't think we can fit the. It is hard enough for most guys to run 24.5" tires on these cars. It would be a monster truck. And the rims I intended on using are 16". The limits me a little more. The problem I have is it is a steer and drive tire. And this being a small displacement, very large turbo car we have to drive it like we would at the drag strip. It is just too laggy to try and mess around. We loose too much track trying to keep the traction down. And at this time we are not interested in a multi-stage boost controller as it spins with anything over 400hp. And it makes far more than that at only 15psi.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 12:25:10 PM »
...And the rims I intended on using are 16"....

Maybe look for the tire first and then get the rims that will work with it.  They might have to be made for your application.  One source of reasonable priced rims if they can come up with what you need is ....

http://mrt-wheels.com/

They made wheels for my lakester and Hooley and others run their rims at Bonneville,

Sumner

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 12:30:59 PM »
  I think the Langlo's run those (tires) at Bville, and most likely had them on at the Mojave Mile.  John?  Troy?
Bob Drury

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 12:31:08 PM »
Bassett made mine.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 12:40:43 PM »
So far Hoosier and Mickey Thompson told me there is no wide tires in any compound they sell that are rated for anything near those speeds. M&H did not answer yet.

I hate shopping for shoes.

I would not hold my breath waiting on the return call from M&H, and honestly, I'm surprised anyone at Hoosier got back to you.  They're good people, but when the term "LSR" comes into play, the shade on the window drops pretty fast.

I was talking to a Hoosier rep at Road America a number of years back, and when "Bonneville" came up, he almost took the catalog out of my hands.

M&H wouldn't sell me 4 drag fronts directly when they found out I was running Bonneville.  The conversation was something to the effect of "I know people do it - we won't condone it".  I ordered them through Summit after talking with other racers.

I seem to recall you've built a Mitsubishi . . . something . . . sorry I don't directly recall.  Anything in a Z-rated HP street tire, perhaps?  Do you need to run the 16s to clear brakes/suspension?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline biglady112

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 02:19:12 PM »
I am not married to the rims my friend has, they are just affordable AND have the correct offset to clear a big tire. The rim size is not important for brake clearance. The only small issue we have is the car is a 4x114.3 lug pattern. So that really limits us on wheels. That said, WELD has a few rims that even look good that can work for us. So rim size is not a hurdle. Tire size is.

I spoke with Goodyear and the pointed me to the monster truck 28" tire mentioned above. I am just not sure on the Hoosier R6/R7. I know guys are running them but, the Hoosier dude said it is a major risk taking it to that speed anything more than a 1/4 mile. And we think this car will be in the 215-225mph range in the mile and obviously faster in the mile and a half. And we really want to make sure we stay safe as he did 182mph in the half mile with a 23" bias ply slick and the stock three point seat belts and no other safety equipment. I think how nasty the car was this year proved it is time we get serious with this car and safety.

The car is a 1989 Mitsubishi Mirage.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline jl222

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 03:06:07 PM »
 I think the Langlo's run those (tires) at Bville, and most likely had them on at the Mojave Mile.  John?  Troy?

Yeah Bob...we ran the 2291 at the Mojave Mile and they hooked up great. They spun a bit at the top of 1st gear on our ist run
but power was going away after that due to a bad 02 sensor, but still got to an indicated 227 mph on data logger, after speed limits were lifted.

JL222
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 03:15:48 PM by jl222 »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 03:34:22 PM »
....The only small issue we have is the car is a 4x114.3 lug pattern....

When I was going to run....

... the Datsun rear in the lakester Marsh made up....

.... some 4 hole rims for well under $100 each at the time,

Sumner

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 10:50:47 PM »
I am not married to the rims my friend has, they are just affordable AND have the correct offset to clear a big tire. The rim size is not important for brake clearance. The only small issue we have is the car is a 4x114.3 lug pattern. So that really limits us on wheels. That said, WELD has a few rims that even look good that can work for us. So rim size is not a hurdle.

No drag radial manufacturer will tell you anything . . . it's a liability issue, even though drag racers in X275 classes go stupid fast using these very same tire brands. MT, Hoosier, and M & H all nearly hung up the phone when we told them for what we were planning on using their products. We've run MT's ET Street to 169 in the mile, 203 out the back door. Many, if not most other (faster) LSR racers use drag radials, use mid/high-20's PSI and simply keep a good eye on them. Since there's no burnout or "launch", we've found that a quality, well-maintained set can last quite a while.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline Mike Borders

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 04:41:50 AM »
The Hoosier R7 is rated for 235 mph at Mojave, and they have 4 sizes in the 16" rim:  https://tiresize.com/tires/Hoosier/R7.htm

Here is our current list of acceptable non-DOT racing tires:  http://mojavemile.com/images/pdf/dot_racing_radial_tire_list_2015.pdf

Refer to the Tech Speed Chart here to learn how fast we allow tires to go:  http://mojavemile.com/images/pdf/tech_speed_chart_mojave_2015.pdf

Mike Borders
General Manager, MKM Racing Promotions
Mojave Mile/Magnum Race Director
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:46:27 AM by Mike Borders »

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »
Separate issue but ECTA as well as SCTA (don't know about Mojave) require 5 lug wheels when over 200mph and certain tire sizes. Have seen a racer get bounced out of impound/sig discussion about this issue after a 200mph pass (Speed Week).114.3=4.5". You may be able to redrill your hubs for 5 lug wheels or otherwise convert them.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019