Author Topic: Rebuttal to Bonneville Salt Loss  (Read 57102 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: Rebuttal to Bonneville Salt Loss
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2015, 06:43:17 PM »
I'll contact Russ to see if I can get the locations & I will go back & test again & this time I will go down to 6ft.
My seven mile (as I called it) was a STS location.
Does anybody know if the salt is still under water right now?
  Sid.

Sid,

If you are willing to go back out and take new measurements, would you be able to make a video of your drilling and results? If you could, I would gladly contribute $100 towards your time and effort.

Reason? I want something visual so that I, and everyone else, can see the drilling preformed and the results. If so just tell me where to send the money. I appreciate your efforts.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2015, 06:53:08 PM »
This is only an empirical observation and is not conclusive by any means, but I have always wondered why there is such a steep drop-off at lands end. Was the road originally built so that it was level with the salt, and then the salt level dropped while the road did not? That makes the lands-end road kind of a measuring stick.

I know that many times salt had to be brought in to fill in the deep drop off so vehicles could get on and off the salt. Does anyone have photos of lands-end from many years ago? That could be additional evidence of salt disappearance.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline typo41

• Huntimer Photography
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2015, 07:29:52 PM »
Working with a Public Works Department with a Traffic Department and looking at plans and designs. The road we call Lands Ends would have been built to be above water table and flood levels (100 and 500 years) so yes it was above the Salt.
Again I am not an Engineer. I cant even spell it.
Tony Huntimer
Huntimer Photography

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2015, 07:31:51 PM »
The it is okay, it's the can't that's not.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2015, 07:35:42 PM »
  Don, Bruce Geisler who raced at Bonneville from the early or mid 60's told me that the paved roads end hasn't changed in height and that it used to be pretty much even driving onto the Salt.  How accurate that statement is I cannot verify, but I have heard and read similar statements from several others during my twenty years on the Salt.
                                                                                                               One Run Bob, out.......................................................
Bob Drury

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2015, 08:58:08 PM »
Don, If you haven't already, take a look at the Executive Summary Russ Eyers did this year: http://static1.squarespace.com/static/55e33a61e4b0eea3c34fcb83/t/55f05d76e4b083dafc8945a4/1441815926986/0-+BSF+2015+Meastrip+exsum+integrated.pdf
He uses a culvert on the access road to demonstrate exactly what you are talking about.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2015, 11:52:10 PM »
If the water level goes down enough I will go back again & sample with longer equipment & If anybody wants to join me they are welcome to do so. PM me your email & I'll get back to you.
 I got an email from Russ tonight & he wants to come up again too.
I'm not looking to re-engineer the place or solve the world's problems here, just to show the real truth of what is or in this case what isn't there. That's what started me down this road.
  Sid.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2015, 12:39:58 AM »
  Thank's for all you are doing Sid.  It is guys like You and Russ that show Us peons can make a difference.................... :cheers: :cheers:
                                                                      Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2015, 10:16:15 AM »
What court has oversight on BLM contracts?

My Senator needs specifics.

Sam

Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2015, 06:27:17 PM »
That one I am not sure. May be a question for STS or the Utah Coalition.

I do know that the Environmental Assessment decision has a protest/appeal section but it also states that it only applies for 30days after the decision is made which is long past. If it helps at all the decision is here: http://static1.squarespace.com/static/55e33a61e4b0eea3c34fcb83/t/55e71ac8e4b048d3ac2f6a36/1441209032826/Intrepid+Potash+Mine+and+Reclamation+Plan.pdf

I'll see if I can dig anything up though. You would think there would be someone overseeing the mining contracts.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2015, 09:55:41 PM »
depends who is suing them---if it were the State of Utah---the SCOUS

If it was Toole County suing the Govt I am pretty sure it is The Court of Claims which is in DC.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2015, 01:45:47 AM »
Hey Folks,

Look and read carefully on the approval that the BLM signed in 2012 - It lists the general location as WEST of Wendover.......duh. Does that perhaps it mean this document is null and void????? :-o

Yeah I know, probably wishful thinking but gotta watch those i and t details. :roll:

Pretty much those folks walk like an Egyptian with both hands held out going and coming! :dhorse:

I will also be at the AETC and PRI gatherings and look forward to talking a bit about the wonderful deal our government has dealt us all on the flats and beyond. :lol:

Regards to All,
 :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2015, 07:39:37 AM »
  Thank's for all you are doing Sid.  It is guys like You and Russ that show Us peons can make a difference.................... :cheers: :cheers:
                                                                      Bob
Thanks Bob, I'm proud to be called a peeon. The "real people world" is where I fit.
I'm not trying to start another "coalition" here or a one man crusade, I just want to see the real picture put out there to back up all the noise we're making because we are being portrayed as a bunch of spoiled brat racers that don't know what the hell we're talking about & that a national heritage is just having a little weather issue. We spend more time on the salt & know it like no theoretical engineer that visits it five times in five years could ever know it. We've been married to this place for years & our love for it has not wained.
Close door meetings with self serving public servants is not enough in my opinion, we need an outraged public to embarrass the $hit out of these turkey's to get their focus away from the size of their retirement fund.   
The BLM has lost sight of the main reason they were set up for, manage & protect public land's!! :? Maybe an air strike is in order. :evil:
This is the communication age, we need to communicate here!!
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2015, 07:47:11 AM »
Hear Ye Hear Ye    :cheers: 
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2015, 09:19:30 PM »
What we have here is a failure to communicate!.
Keep shaking the bush Sid. :wink:

Seriously, thanks again for being pro active. :cheers: